Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transmission breaker
Don
Every time someone talks to be about Vegan/Vegetarianism, I eat a slice of ham.
The less people eating meat, the harder pushed the meat industry becomes, the less likely we are to be able to improve/maintain welfare standards.

If you want well cared for meat, select the right kind of meat, and eat lots of it.

Every Veggie/Vegan is hurting the welfare of farmed animals :(

Soldato
Every time someone talks to be about Vegan/Vegetarianism, I eat a slice of ham.
The less people eating meat, the harder pushed the meat industry becomes, the less likely we are to be able to improve/maintain welfare standards.

If you want well cared for meat, select the right kind of meat, and eat lots of it.

Every Veggie/Vegan is hurting the welfare of farmed animals :(

An interesting take, not heard that before. Incredibly flawed and imo totally wrong but interesting nonetheless.

Soldato
Youre joking right? Do you think its the same to cut into a carrot and cutting a lambs foot off?

Do plants have a brain or central nervous system, how much can they actually suffer?
That depends if we are talking about the lamb being alive or dead when you cut the foot off. If its already dead then yes its the same. Which is why being a vegetarian is not any better from a moral point of view.

No I am not joking as both are living organisms that you kill. I don't think its wrong to eat meat when the source it comes from didn't suffer. Some plants do have a system that does a similar job as a central nervous system and they do feel the environment around them and know when they are being damaged as they can communicate damage to the rest of the plant. Plants communicate distress with there own kind of nervous system. A few years back I was reading a study by biologists on Mustrad plants and how they use the same type of signals as animals to relay distress.

So if its about suffering you are ok with eating meat that does not suffer? What about when the animal doesnt have a brain or doesnt have a central nervous system is it ok to eat then? If not then just why is that not ok but a plant is? I can understand not wanting to eat meat from sources that suffered like the big breeding factory's but I don't see any reason to not eat meant from a source that did not suffer. Doing so is no different then eating plants. There are lots of reason to be a vegetarian but I don't see vegetarians as better from a moral point of view.

Man of Honour
In answer to the original post, I am not vegan because I do not want to be.

Another poster asked somebody earlier how they can "justify" eating meat - I don't need to justify it, the same as I don't need to justify any of my other life choices.

Man of Honour
if-it-doesnt-have-meat-its-a-snack-quote-1.jpg

Soldato
There are lots of reason to be a vegetarian but I don't see vegetarians as better from a moral point of view.
There's the morality of not being part of an industry that creates twice as much climate change as plant industry does, pretty sure somebody who recognises their contribution to the potential catastrophic effects of climate change and changes some of their behaviours to lessen that contribution does indeed have a moral high ground over somebody who keeps their same behaviour and doesn't care at all, would you not agree ?

Soldato
There's the morality of not being part of an industry that creates twice as much climate change as plant industry does, pretty sure somebody who recognises their contribution to the potential catastrophic effects of climate change and changes some of their behaviours to lessen that contribution does indeed have a moral high ground over somebody who keeps their same behaviour and doesn't care at all, would you not agree ?

I don't have kids, I'll eat as much meat as I want and still have an exponentially lower carbon footprint than most people thanks.

Caporegime
Why do so many vegans, OP included always use the moral high ground in their argument? It's such a high horse almighty approach that immediately put the other person in a position where instead of trying to do more investigating, they would tell you to take a hike.

It is so off-putting.

We don't need a lesson in morals, because if we are going there then there you are opening a door where your own life and your moral day-to-day decisions come into question. Are you also living like a saint? Do you not use plastics? Do you not drive? Do you have gas central heating? Do you buy clothing made in the Far East? So many things!

Caporegime
In answer to the original post, I am not vegan because I do not want to be.

Another poster asked somebody earlier how they can "justify" eating meat - I don't need to justify it, the same as I don't need to justify any of my other life choices.

If this was me I was asking out of interest as the poster said they care about animal welfare but still eat meat. It was directly to that poster. I wasn't asking people to justify thier life choices in general. Or asking it to the whole thread.

It was specific to the context.

Man of Honour
If this was me I was asking out of interest as the poster said they care about animal welfare but still eat meat. It was directly to that poster. I wasn't asking people to justify thier life choices in general. Or asking it to the whole thread.

It was specific to the context.
I'm not sure if it was you, I just read the whole thread end to end on mobile and I'm not going combing through it again :D

If it was though, fair enough and understood.

Soldato
I was a meat eater until 6 hours in a meat factory ,it was a vile and terrible place ,once the switch is pressed that's it, I spent many decades eating meat and I regret every instance ,it really does seem disgusting to me now ,adverts are bad enough with bits of dead animals on a BBQ ect . absolutely no need for death with a beyond burger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom