Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I’ve tried quite a bit of vegan food over the last couple of years (albeit the processed kind). Some has been very good however a lot of it has been average/nothing to write home about. The main ‘issue’ for me at least is that the texture just isn’t quite right.

Soldato
We don't need a lesson in morals, because if we are going there then there you are opening a door where your own life and your moral day-to-day decisions come into question. Are you also living like a saint? Do you not use plastics? Do you not drive? Do you have gas central heating? Do you buy clothing made in the Far East? So many things!
It's impossible to cut everything out short of killing yourself but if you care about future generations of our species then you have a moral responsibility to at least reduce some of your consumption of planet damaging products, the whataboutism says more about yourself and your reluctance to change than it does about others being high & mighty, I guess vegans/veggies get such a harsh knockback from people being called out on their behaviour because they know deep down it's the easiest planet harming behaviour to change, they just don't want to because they enjoy meat too much and that's fine if you can live with dooming future generations on your conscience

Soldato
There's the morality of not being part of an industry that creates twice as much climate change as plant industry does, pretty sure somebody who recognises their contribution to the potential catastrophic effects of climate change and changes some of their behaviours to lessen that contribution does indeed have a moral high ground over somebody who keeps their same behaviour and doesn't care at all, would you not agree ?
Last time I looked into this going full vegetarian and everyone dropping meat meant causing twice as much pollution and industry as we have now. Hurting climate change even worse then the current behavior. Everyone going vegetarian is less space efficient and causes all sorts of scaling problems that would lead to more pollution and worse climate change. If we all dropped meat things like Rice production would increase and Rice agriculture accelerates global warming more then the meat industry: Some of the largest produces of methane come from growing Vegetarian food and in many ways this is worse then meat production. If you are really worryed about that environment you should be dropping things like rice and switching to meat. Over half of all methane is produced by the agriculture industry and if we all dropped meat and changed to vegetarian that would only get worse, much worse.

Caporegime
It's impossible to cut everything out short of killing yourself but if you care about future generations of our species then you have a moral responsibility to at least reduce some of your consumption of planet damaging products, the whataboutism says more about yourself and your reluctance to change than it does about others being high & mighty, I guess vegans/veggies get such a harsh knockback from people being called out on their behaviour because they know deep down it's the easiest planet harming behaviour to change, they just don't want to because they enjoy meat too much and that's fine if you can live with dooming future generations on your conscience

Then you make your choice to cut meat, I make my choice by eating LESS meat than most and I use very little energy than most. I don't turn my heating on until it gets below 12c inside for example, yes, INSIDE. Do I go around the internet forums telling others to follow me?

I don't question your life decision, why are you questioning others? Who put you in charge of morals? Are you the Pope? It's so obnoxious, hypocritical, and narcarcisstic.

Last edited:
Soldato
Then you make your choice to cut meat, I make my choice by eating LESS meat than most and I use very little energy than most. I don't turn my heating on until it gets below 12c inside for example. Do I go around the internet forums telling others to follow me?

I don't question your life decision, why are you questioning others? Who put you in charge of morals? Are you the Pope? It's so obnoxious.
Objectively killing and eating animals is a bit odd tho. Like, what a messy job. You must see that? (Without attacking me as one of the militant vegans you already spoke about).

Soldato
Quite.

People who do <insert climate-saving initiative here> and parade/flout it whilst spawning more than 1 child make me laugh.

I eat meat and currently have no children. You may be a vegan and have 3 children. What's worse? But I don't tell people to not have children.

Caporegime
Objectively killing and eating animals is a bit odd tho. Like, what a messy job. You must see that? (Without attacking me as one of the militant vegans you already spoke about).
Odd? do you question Lions in the wilds why they are eating meat too? We too are animals. Sure we now have more knowledge and methods to go on living without meat in our diet but it's not odd. Not even close, it's natural, it's nature.

Soldato
Most of my killing has been limited to fish and yes it is messy but the eating experience is always better if you have caught and killed your own food.

Soldato
I think the main problems are ignorance and cultural conditioning, I recently found that baby male chicks are either ground up alive or gassed at 1 day old because they're useless in the egg industry. And piglets have their teeth "trimmed" and tails "docked" to reduce tail biting amongst other pigs which is a symptom of mental stress, gee I wonder why they might be stressed....

1. How did you think cows were slaughtered? Bolt to the head which stuns them is about the most humane way possible currently.

2. Pretty sure cockrels don't lay eggs so that makes sense.

3. tail docking is fairly common, done for a multitude of reasons, tooth trimming is done to prevent damage to the sows teats when feeding. When a piglets starts feeding they take ownership of a teat and will defend it, trimming of the incisors prevents damage to the sow and other piglets if they get feisty.

I respect your choice to not eat meat, I also don't care what you think other people should/should not do.

Capodecina
Soldato
Most of my killing has been limited to fish and yes it is messy but the eating experience is always better if you have caught and killed your own food.

I have never done this. Interesting. Sounds fun. Don't you feel sorry for it though? There's such a disassociation when buying stuff from the supermarket.

Soldato
Then you make your choice to cut meat, I make my choice by eating LESS meat than most and I use very little energy than most. I don't turn my heating on until it gets below 12c inside for example, yes, INSIDE. Do I go around the internet forums telling others to follow me?

I don't question your life decision, why are you questioning others? Who put you in charge of morals? Are you the Pope? It's so obnoxious, hypercritical and narcarcisstic.
Then you're not the target audience if you're responsible enough to change your behaviour.

If you had a neighbour who was murdering people daily, would you respect his life decision or would you question his morals ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom