Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
re: milk

Humans are the only mammals who continue to drink milk after their mothers stop producing it. We are not lactose intolerant at birth, yet a lot of people are later in life. I don't really like it, I much prefer the taste of Soya.

As for meat, only eat it once a day on average and not even a lot, but I don't go around pushing others to follow me by trying to guilt trip them giving up meat. That would never work.

Caporegime
Not a single friend or family member has known about "useless" male chicks or pigs being gassed to death when ive brought it up in conversation.

I do agree tho, lab meat will hopefully replace tortured animals.

What did they think happened to them? Have they never been to the countryside?

Like surely people have seen fields of cows before at least? Or seen some chickens?

Caporegime
I enjoy how it tastes.

Which I accept, and I agree, some emat can taste amazing. But that in itself doesn't mean that you should. Child molesters enoy what they do, that doesn't make it right.

Eating meat and dairy has consequences, and although nothing is binary, you can make life choices that reduce your negative impact on the planet, other humans and animals.

Eating meat does affect other people negatively. Catastrophic climate change will impact the lives of billions. There are lots of factors, but eating meat and dairy is a significant contributing factor, and something we have the ability to mitigate to a very high degree

Soldato
OP
But if you give up meat, aren't you still effectively killing animals by not allowing them to be born on the first place to be used for meat/dairy?

Also why don't vegans like milk?

You cant kill something that doesn't exist can you....

A little excerpt from the below article....

"When she gives birth, her calf will typically be removed within 36 hours, so the farmers can steal and sell you the milk that is meant for her baby. Wildlife experts say that a strong bond between cow and calf is formed quickly after birth. Following that callous separation, the mother will bellow and scream for days, wondering where her baby is. The answer depends on the gender of the calf. If male, he will probably either be shot and tossed into a bin, or sold to be raised for veal, which delays his death by just a matter of months. But if the calf is female, she will usually be prepared for her own entry into dairy production, where she will face the same cycle of hell that her mother is trapped in: forced impregnation, the theft of her baby, and a return to the cattle crush two or three months later."

Caporegime

Humans are the only mammals who continue to drink milk after their mothers stop producing it. We are not lactose intolerant at birth, yet a lot of people are later in life. I don't really like it, I much prefer the taste of Soya.

As for meat, only eat it once a day on average and not even a lot, but I don't go around pushing others to follow me by trying to guilt trip them giving up meat. That would never work.
Soya is actually damaging to the environment as well. It’s one of the biggest drivers of deforestation.

Caporegime

The guilt trip in the OP is certainly not that productive. However, it is important that people realise that their life choices do impact others

Soldato
The matter is just your personal opinion, many people prefer almond, rice , oat or coconut milk to dairy. It is really what you are used to. If you ever tried to go vegan and swapped dairy milk for say Oat milk, after a few months you would find you prefer the taste of oat milk.
Pretty much, we used to drink cows milk until our daughter struggled with dairy products, we suspect a delayed reaction. So we changed to Alpro and now drink that exclusively, now cows milk taste weird.

Biggest downside is it's really expensive.

Caporegime
Soya is actually damaging to the environment as well. It’s one of the biggest drivers of deforestation.
That was my next point, any large scale commercial farming would means damage to the environment, which means driving out the native animals on those lands who habit there before. Which surely is also a form of animal abuse?!

Caporegime
That was my next point, any large scale commercial farming would means damage to the environment, which means driving out the native animals on those lands who habit there before. Which surely is also a form of animal abuse?!
I will say one thing about animal abuse in food. I know you love Japan and the food, but I wish they wouldn’t do stuff like eat fish and octopus while it’s still alive. That’s pretty disturbing.

Associate
Plant based diets have everything you need to survive, except B12.

I work out doing heavy weights 3 times a week. im not skinny or sickly. Theres also people like 'Hench Herbivore' and 'Lifting Vegan Logic'. All those are probably stronger than the people posting in this thread who eat meat.
I actually have a B12 uptake issue which means I don't get any absorbed via diet or supplement, I require bi-monthly injections else I would end up back where I was 2 years ago - with pernicious anemia which left untreated would have been fatal.
This is the reality of eating a plant-based diet.... you either chomp vitamin supplements for life, or you end up anemic... You know how people with anemia always look white, pasty and "ill" ? - Like a lot of preachy vegans fighting against the facts of our biology.

Caporegime
I will say one thing about animal abuse in food. I know you love Japan and the food, but I wish they wouldn’t do stuff like eat fish and octopus while it’s still alive. That’s pretty disturbing.

Never actually tried those or looked for those, or whale meat. I do have my boundaries but i don't go to those places and start questioning the customers.

Caporegime

Around 75-80% of agricultural land is used entirely to support animals. Thus, moving to a vegan diet will free up massive amounts of land that can be returned to nature.

But your point is really a fallacy. Just because we cannot 100% absolve all problems without ceasing to exists doesn't mean we should not take steps to limit out impact.

Pet Northerner
Don
Shame a triggered meat eating mod has obviously moved this to GD for the lols but whatever.

I used to say the same things, unfortunately what you describe doesn't exist in reality. What chickens and pigs go through certainly doesn't constitute a reasonable life im afraid, sure outdoor bred pigs might have a slightly better life but this isnt the reality for most people. And you will no doubt eat at restaurants that most likely wont be using outdoor reared expensive pork and organic chickens.

Source - https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/farm/pigs/keyissues

Just to be clear - this wasn't a single mods decision but it went to a discussion within the team first.

Your OP and title were inflammatory, designed purely to provoke a reaction rather than debate. That's not an SC worthy thread and thus moved to GD.

The farm I buy my pork from neither docks tails or chips / files teeth. They allow their pigs 100% access to the outside to graze naturally. I researched where I buy my meat from and although it costs more, the flavour is much better and I truly believe the farmers when they say the welfare is better.

Associate
I only eat dead things I would be comfortable killing myself, so that's basically just insects and sea food, purely because I grew up learning to fish, apart from that I'll occassionally eat organic eggs and some dairy but I look for cheese that is vegetarian.

I'd been wrestling with the morality and hypocrisy of eating meat for a while as an animal lover and as such just decided, if I'm not comfortable killing it myself it would be hypocritical to eat it because somebody else killed it for me, it's a simple moral line to draw and works for me.

Lab grown meat though, I would eat
But it is ok to kill seafood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom