Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
This graphic has convinced me to change from a meat based diet to eating children instead. It's the only way to save the planet.
I've already done all of the things on that list except switch diet, I wonder how many the OP has done (well, he's booked a holiday to the US this year for a start so...), but apparently just being vegan makes all your other CO2 output just disappear

Soldato
This graphic has convinced me to change from a meat based diet to eating children instead. It's the only way to save the planet.

:cry:

But really, all these vegans preaching about how bad meat is and then jetting off on their holidays and driving around in their brand new cars makes you wonder if they really give a **** or are just following the latest fad.

Soldato
:cry:

But really, all these vegans preaching about how bad meat is and then jetting off on their holidays and driving around in their brand new cars makes you wonder if they really give a **** or are just following the latest fad.

I don't know what's happened in their life that they catch feels over food products, but all the bias confirmation nonsense they cling to while at the same time living lives much worse for the environment and preaching at people who out-co2-reduction them by a factor of 4-6 times, lol.

And then they blame meat eaters for having cognitive dissonance, haha, this thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

And I think I actually had been buying some vegan food and trying to reduce my meat intake, now I realise I can ditch all that, so the OP's intention has actually had the opposite effect.

Soldato
It's not that hard to spell have correctly either is it

It's not that hard to use correct grammar either, is it?

I've already done all of the things on that list except switch diet, I wonder how many the OP has done (well, he's booked a holiday to the US this year for a start so...), but apparently just being vegan makes all your other CO2 output just disappear

All but hang dry clothes and go vegan here, it's always bloody raining :p

Soldato
Lots of people use phones or whatnot, h b and v are all right next to each other, I think you are going to bhave a much more difficult life for yourself if you are going to sweat it over obvious single character misspellings

True, i kept thinking you had typed behave and couldn't make sense of it, hence asking. I did only get up 15 mins ago though so my brains not in gear yet.

Soldato
I don't know what's happened in their life that they catch feels over food products, but all the bias confirmation nonsense they cling to while at the same time living lives much worse for the environment and preaching at people who out-co2-reduction them by a factor of 4-6 times, lol.

And then they blame meat eaters for having cognitive dissonance, haha, this thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

And I think I actually had been buying some vegan food and trying to reduce my meat intake, now I realise I can ditch all that, so the OP's intention has actually had the opposite effect.
I've not followed the evolution of johno's argument but has he been arguing Veganism from an environmental/CO2 POV? As to start with it was all about just animal welfare / not killing animals.

I know I mentioned early on about the environmental effects, though good points have been made about the increase from plant based and rice farming that would happen if it expanded to fill the gap

Soldato
I've not followed the evolution of johno's argument but has he been arguing Veganism from an environmental/CO2 POV? As to start with it was all about just animal welfare / not killing animals
Check the previous page, yes he keeps posting 8 year old articles about veganism being better in CO2, ignoring more recent articles showing that e.g. rice production increases methane which is 30x more damaging than co2

He also keeps trying to play the health benefits card ignoring the fact that most "vegans" buy stuff from the supermarket that is worse for your health than actual meat too.

Associate
All of the myriad food options available have their merits and their issues.
The one thing most seem to miss is that regardless of diet/fad/doctrine we advocate, there are simply too many people on the planet. That's what it comes down to. We live on a planet with a finite amount of resources/space etc, yet we allow our population to increase to unsustainable levels. Population growth is slowing, but it is still rising overall. That is something we need to resolve at some point, not just what we eat. There's too much consumption as a whole.

Soldato
It is inevitable that sooner or later our diet is going to have to change to be more sustainable...... It will be no bad thing from a health point of view, but more importantly meat is such an inefficient way of getting our calories.
(insect protein may be much better but at that point i would rather eat veggies).

I would hate to be forced to become forced vegi / vegan and I hope in my lifetime meat will still be an option, but i would expect it would become more of a luxury item as a "special occasion" or maybe once or twice weekly thing.
The problem is right now, alternatives are so damn expensive. Oatly milk substitute is fantastic, i prefer it over milk for my cereal but it is 3 times the price of milk...... Some of us can afford that but at the moment we are in a cost of living crisis where many are just happy to have a meal at all, and are not likely to be looking to buy expensive milk substitutes or impossible burgers etc etc etc. When it comes to feeding your kids, a big box of 15 eggs for an omlette with a bit of cheap ham and some cheese is a cheap filling meal.

I quite like vegitarian stuff a lot of the time........ quorn is ok, and vegitable bakes etc make a decent substitute. ... but again maybe i am selfish but the thought of never having a sausage or bacon bap ever again is a sad one for me.

On the ethical front, I do wish animals were treated better, and we are not as bad in this country as in others such as the US or australia..... Dont bank on that however.... the government are trying to get deals with both of those which will completely undermine farmers in this country and the only way they will be able to compete will be to lower standards our end too. (and they will have to be allowed to lower the standards IF they allow cheap meat to be imported in surely?)

Stuff like eggs and what not I buy freerange not battery, but that obviously goes out of the window when I eat out or buy cake etc. i cant imagine mr kipling or the sainsburys equivalent buy small batch farm reared eggs to put in thier stuff.

as for judging...... as already said, before throwing stones people need to make sure their own house is not made of glass. My house is well insulated, and go on the basis of jumper on before heating on. I have Solar backed up by battery and I use the greenest energy i can when i do get from the grid...... my next cars i hope will be battery and i have not been abroad for 7 years ***i just remembered that is a lie, i went short haul to spain once*** and i WFH 3 days a week. I am not preaching, just stating that my carbon footprint is likely smaller than many vegetarians.

Make what ever changes you can yourself, and if anyone asks be prepared to give advice, but imo if anyone wants to get folk onside, then being a dick about it is not going to help anyone.

ohh and as for those vegetarians who think it is ok to eat fish etc etc............. There ARE good reasons to eat sensibly sourced (ie renwable) fish rather than meat, but at that point its not an ethical thing.... you either eat animals or you dont, and soft cute and /or fluffy should not be the benchmark for whether it is ethical to eat them or not, so at that point if anyone who does that is gonna preach at me they will get doubly ridiculed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom