Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I am interested in the meal plans that people have that are vegan. I don't have any vegan friends that look healthy, which is why I am curious. Note: my health is the opposite end, and 30llbs overweight from being at home with remote work, and not exercising.

As a non-vegan, my meals are mostly chicken and some fish. Mainly because of my wife's health issues so need to keep it fairly plain. I am sure she would appreciate some interesting veg meals. She cannot do grain/nuts due to risk of getting that in a pocket in her stomach though.

My view, our bodies are not built for just veg. People can get by in life on JUST crisps and soda, but their health suffers. I did go look up some vegan resources, and even found some vegan body builders. So it is possible it seems.

Soldato
I am interested in the meal plans that people have that are vegan. I don't have any vegan friends that look healthy, which is why I am curious. Note: my health is the opposite end, and 30llbs overweight from being at home with remote work, and not exercising.

As a non-vegan, my meals are mostly chicken and some fish. Mainly because of my wife's health issues so need to keep it fairly plain. I am sure she would appreciate some interesting veg meals. She cannot do grain/nuts due to risk of getting that in a pocket in her stomach though.

My view, our bodies are not built for just veg. People can get by in life on JUST crisps and soda, but their health suffers. I did go look up some vegan resources, and even found some vegan body builders. So it is possible it seems.

Check my thread here, all my entries are vegan (or if not due to ingredients, they were veganified)
I’m a touch overweight but that’s because I’m a greedy sod, who loves cake and booze and don’t move enough.
But I’m confident what I eat is good, I just eat too much of it (bar cakes, I eat lots of cake which obviously isn’t healthy).

Soldato

Those people have unhealthy diets/lifestyles who happen to vegan. It's a bit more difficult to eat a balanced diet when vegan (a lot of off the shelf stuff will have animal products) but fine with planning and a bit of cooking.
I'm not vegan either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also bringing up "palm oil" etc isn't an argument that veganism isn't good. It's not compulsory you buy products with it in if you're a vegan.

That isn’t the point being made. Palm oil doesn’t kill any animals per se but the acquisition of land to grow an ever increasing market for palm oil does. If you’ve seen Bolsanaro ok the burning of vast tracts of the Amazon so he can sell the land to corps to grow things like palm oil then the use of palm oil in my opinion is incompatible to a vegan much like wearing leather shoes is to a vegan.

Soldato
You are now Completely mis quoting what I've said.

I'm not even vegan.

So you've misquoted and made an assumption.
You've also called me unhinged.
The post you've replied to wasn't a reply to you so that's gone a bit weird, but to be honest you're not making this any better; you said you'd rather kill 1000 insects than 1 pig, but now you've also said you're not vegan, so now I've got a picture of someone who goes around cataloguing and killing 1000 insects every time he eats bacon.

Soldato
The post you've replied to wasn't a reply to you so that's gone a bit weird, but to be honest you're not making this any better; you said you'd rather kill 1000 insects than 1 pig, but now you've also said you're not vegan, so now I've got a picture of someone who goes around cataloguing and killing 1000 insects every time he eats bacon.
If it prevents one dog from standing on a bee then it's worth it!

Soldato
Right boys, we are in violent agreement. I'm trying to transcend palm oil = bad, to something slightly more useful. It is used in almost 50% of consumer products. Life could not continue as it currently is without it. That 50% excludes its commercial uses, too.

Being lectured by someone that has read a Facebook article clearly not the path to get there though.

There must be other land beside virgin rainforest they can use. I expect it is the cheapest land to use and big business loves that. Also I can't work out if you actually care or are just playing the ultimate long troll game in this thread.

Associate
There has been multiple studies into red/processed meat consumption and heart disease and other conditions. Japan consumes around half the red meat compared to most European countries and the US. Yes they eat meat, but in smaller quantities than rest of world. Your statement was simply that Japan eats meat so why do they live so long, but there are many factors such as less meat, better healthcare, great social care for elderly, continuing social engagement of older people within their family and society at large. The list is much larger - life expectancy is a complex equation, not just do they ever eat meat.

No valid ones.

Meat consumption in US a been declining for decades yet poor health has been on the rise.

The US is one of the largest spenders in the world for health care.

Correct more to it not only about consuming meat but to try to disregard it when you must have forgotten to do your history our species consumed only this for millions of years.

High fat foods aren't necessarily unhealthy.
I'm not going to go vegan but I am trying to cut down on meat and diary consumption. Trying to get a bit more creative and try some vegan meals, it's easy to get into a rut with food where you keep having the same things every week.

High fat is not unhealthy if coming from food sources which the vegan food is not.

Why would you want to do that move to unhealthy food which will make you feel awful.

The other big point people have not mentioned is The Randle Cycle (This is very important yet the people who are telling you to eat a way do not even know what it is so they have no business talking about diet they are clueless)

Caporegime

This post isn't entirely aimed at yourself..

Of course. I can imagine if it came to it the vast majority would to.
I actually don't eat bacon. Not a fan!

I'm not sure why you think I don't like insects.
I love insects, I know for well how important pollinators are.
Half of my garden is for nature.
Life becomes more important in the grand scheme as you go down the 'intelligence' scale.
I even keep insects at home. (exotics)

Just because I'm not a vegan doesn't mean I can't see that veganism is better for
A) suffering of animals
B) the environment
It is a better lifestyle. I'm not really sure how people can deny it.
I grew up around farming, pig farming, its brutal. And that's a small scale farm in the UK. What most would think is a pretty high standard. The conditions aren't great. A human would go crazy in there. And pigs are intelligent.

But the environmental point is hard to deny. Animals use a vast quantity of. Soya, wheat, other cereals. And dairy in particular uses water in a grand scale. Dwarfing crop production.
Again, this eating meat avoids deforestation is not a valid argument.

I had a quick search, and this link from nature is just a sample of information on it.

QxLnVaK.jpg
I haven't checked sources but it is a nature article. Not a vegan promoting site.

Palm oil isn't great, but using specific cases like this isn't an argument that vegan is worse than meat. Vegan doesn't mean you consume palm oil.

I'm not going to address diet as its something I don't know much about.

Soldato
There must be other land beside virgin rainforest they can use. I expect it is the cheapest land to use and big business loves that. Also I can't work out if you actually care or are just playing the ultimate long troll game in this thread.
This is like the NIMBY argument to developing on green field.

I do care but the argument that 'palm oil = bad' is as silly as the plastic straw fiasco.

Caporegime
As an extra.
Do you know how much resource goes into just chicken meat?

Climate controlled drafty barns,
Several types of chicken feed with ingredients and additives produced in a factory using energy and imported/exported around the world.
Incubation, in separate facilities and transport of chicks to and from hatcheries.

Chicken meat is one of the more efficient meats and its Feed conversion ratio is around 1.6ish

So just in feed you're losing 600g per kilo.

FCRs in other meats are significantly worse.
For. Pigs it's about 3 (had to look that one up)
Remember.. Fcr is just feed. Not all the other resource.

You can bypass this without the animal.
You can process that wheat, soy, oats etc straight to human food. It's basic physics that you lose massive amounts of energy with this intermediate step.

Because someone will take this as universal this isn't saying that someone living in the himalayas can go vegan. This is for us where we use what we could consume directly to feed animals.

There is a tipping point. Everyone in the world can't go vegan. But we are a long way off that tipping point.

This is only the environmental standpoint.

Soldato
This post isn't entirely aimed at yourself..

Of course. I can imagine if it came to it the vast majority would to.
I actually don't eat bacon. Not a fan!

I'm not sure why you think I don't like insects.
I love insects, I know for well how important pollinators are.
Half of my garden is for nature.
Life becomes more important in the grand scheme as you go down the 'intelligence' scale.
I even keep insects at home. (exotics)

Just because I'm not a vegan doesn't mean I can't see that veganism is better for
A) suffering of animals
B) the environment
I grew up around farming, pig farming, its brutal. And that's a small scale farm in the UK. What most would think is a pretty high standard. The conditions aren't great. A human would go crazy in there. And pigs are intelligent.

But the environmental point is hard to deny. Animals use a vast quantity of. Soya, wheat, other cereals. And dairy in particular uses water in a grand scale. Dwarfing crop production.

I had a quick search, and this link from nature is just a sample of information on it.

QxLnVaK.jpg
I haven't checked sources but it is a nature article. Not a vegan promoting site.

Palm oil isn't great, but using specific cases like this isn't an argument that vegan is worse than meat. Vegan doesn't mean you consume palm oil.

I'm not going to address diet as its something I don't know much about.
That's about co2 and doesnt cover the fact the methane which is 30x more damaging then c02 would massively increase from an increase in the vegetarian industry. While net C02 would be down, methane would be up and the overall effect is worse global warming as methane is much worse then c02. It also predates the more recent studies I posted before where scientists said they underestimated the pollution effects of the vegetarian industry and its double what they previously said it was.

Caporegime
That's the thing...you seem to rank them in some order.

Like eating meat is not okay, having leather shoes is okay. What's the difference?

Neither is really okay, so I just minimise the overall amount and not criticise others. To really have any grounds to criticise others is if you live as a vegan Amish, which none of us are (you wouldn't be online as an Amish).

Kind of agree. It's not a race to zero. Because it's near impossible to do no harm. I mean it's ridiculous.

I still think you can point out, but it's only benifical if constructive "have you tried this (insert vegan dish)" rather than.. "you abhorrent scum eating that dead cow burger".

If everyone cut down even 10-20 percent it would make a big impact.

Caporegime
That's about co2 and doesnt cover the fact the methane which is 30x more damaging then c02 would massively increase from an increase in the vegetarian industry. While net C02 would be down, methane would be up and the overall effect is worse global warming as methane is much worse then c02. It also predates the more recent studies I posted before where scientists said they underestimated the pollution effects of the vegetarian industry and its double what they previously said it was.

I was of the understanding livestock production is the biggest methane producer?

Personally I've cut waaay down on meat for animal cruelty reasons. But still interested in what you said. (I may have missed your posts)

Associate
A) suffering of animals
B) the environment

A) Incorrect already been shown
B) Another incorrect and I see you have fallen for mainstream misinformation.

Better lifestyle not sure what you are on about here how is being ridden with disease and declining health also needed to keep eating plus going to toilet good? (harming more animals plus destroying the environment as well)

The farm you was on may well have been like this this is not general practice in UK and when was this about 30 years ago?

Environmental point is nonsense as you had shown you don't even understand what you have presented.

Animals do not require any of those you listed why are they given them and if you had been raised on a farm understanding the workings you should have know the answers to fatten the animal up a lot of the farms will use them towards the end in UK but other countries may feed like this all the time.

The other reason it is used for animals is due to not fit for human consumption its a waste product.

Plenty of water on the planet the harm of using it is?

Almost every product you can buy which is "vegan" has seed oil in it and the only ones which do not are the likes of fruit/veg which you can't live of alone.

Closing point you mentioned about pigs you know these animals will eat anything right even a live human.

Soldato
This is like the NIMBY argument to developing on green field.
It's funny in a world with increasing food security issues developing farmland is so dumb it's unbelievable really. UK farmland is devoid of life anyway, we have completely trashed our natural environment we are literally world leaders in that regard but we still need food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom