Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No, what I'm saying is that the emotive stuff about animals bleeding slowly to death is rubbish. It's in the article. And ok its an old article, but the vast majority of halal meat was being stunned at the time the article was written.
Sadly we are regressing on animal welfare. It seems non stun halal is growing in popularity. I find it disgusting and it should be banned. Pandering to religious beliefs at the expense of animal welfare.

Soldato
A factual propaganda post for sure.

There has been 47 pages of replies, some daft, some ignorant, some defiant no doubt, some plain stupid.

The answer I believe is ignorance, people enjoy their cosy little lives & don't want to think about the reality of their world, they like being good little worker bees & 9-5 it & because they grow old, deem themselves successful.

Eating meat is part of that mind set - the UK has a rife 'traditionalism' problem, about half the UK thinks that they can, should and only must live the way their parents did, to suggest otherwise is offensive to these sorts, and you often get called a 'leftie' for not doing 'what we've done in the uk for centuries'

It is that mindset, along with rife capitalism, advertising & social conditioning that people think they must drink baby cow food, eat the dead bodies of them, etc.

I think meat eating, like other 'traditions' will go the same way, just as slavery & wide spread murder were once deemed socially acceptable, it's now no longer the case, in 100 years people will look back in the same way at consuming meat (assuming humanity continues to evolve, which is at times, hard to believe these days as we are slipping gradually back to the right).

Its just the way of humanity, you have your traditionalists & you have your progressive thinkers (which are usually the sorts to pay more attention to science/fact), in time meat will drop in popularity as education & social norms change.

Well done for going Vegan, it will make you happier, healthy & help avoid many western diseases such as cancer & heart issues.

So we're all ignorant and evil now? right...

Soldato
With me it took a trigger to go veggie and forget the indoctrination,that was doing 6 or so hours in a meat place(moved here without income) ,they also made us sit through the slaughter on video (I could not watch) as part of the induction,where the induction was is right next to the abattoir,with the sound of very distressed cattle .
Actually ate fish and dairy for a while but realised this wasn't enough (but veggie only is very very easy) so went vegan

Edit/ on my tea break or I would restructure my sentences

Soldato
So we're all ignorant and evil now? right...

Well, yeah, you did ask. Ignorance is choosing to look the other way (which you must do if you allow something to die so you can eat), and its not very nice saying its ok to slaughter stuff because you emotionally enjoy the taste.

No need to be vague about it, its directly that, unless you can convince me that some how zero slaughter happens, nothing dies, and its all a big hoax (Aside from the endless video evidence, and I have sadly seen a cow being slaughtered myself, its grim, as grim as an episode of The Boys)

Soldato
Well, yeah, you did ask. Ignorance is choosing to look the other way (which you must do if you allow something to die so you can eat), and its not very nice saying its ok to slaughter stuff because you emotionally enjoy the taste.

No need to be vague about it, its directly that, unless you can convince me that some how zero slaughter happens, nothing dies, and its all a big hoax (Aside from the endless video evidence, and I have sadly seen a cow being slaughtered myself, its grim, as grim as an episode of The Boys)

What if I'm quite happy not looking the other way, but actually rearing and killing my own dinner?

Soldato
Sadly we are regressing on animal welfare. It seems non stun halal is growing in popularity. I find it disgusting and it should be banned. Pandering to religious beliefs at the expense of animal welfare.
The instrument must be very sharp to ensure humane slaughter. The animal must be slit at the throat.

It's humane because the blade is very sharp :confused: Imagine if having a sharp knife was a get out of jail card for knife crime :cry:

Soldato
What if I'm quite happy not looking the other way, but actually rearing and killing my own dinner?

Then you don't mind killing living beings - which is in itself disturbing. To aid you in a vegans views, a vegan (whether you can emotionally grasp it or not), sees little difference in species in the killing of any animal, as horrified as you may be to witness a live human being hung drawn & quartered in front of you, vegans have the same empathy for other animals, cows, pigs, etc

It's almost as if vegans think these animals have a brain, and nerve tissue, crazy, I know.

Soldato
Then you don't mind killing living beings - which is in itself disturbing. To aid you in a vegans views, a vegan (whether you can emotionally grasp it or not), sees little difference in species in the killing of any animal, as horrified as you may be to witness a live human being hung drawn & quartered in front of you, vegans have the same empathy for other animals, cows, pigs, etc

It's almost as if vegans think these animals have a brain, and nerve tissue, crazy, I know.

Plants have distress signals too, trees communicate with each other, crabs only have very rudimentary "brains", your drawing of the line is very arbitrary and based on your personal emotional response.
I don't empathise with a potato.

The fact that you suffer from an affliction that affects less than 1% of the human race doesn't actually give you the right to be offensive to the other 99%.

Soldato
Are you defending the slitting of non stunned animals throats?

I've just finished the last of some ethical halal burgers, they had been stunned first (the cow, not the burgers) and I have no problems eating them. Not something I would buy as I'm not religious so the expense is pointless, but no problems otherwise. This was outdoor reared, grass fed and killed at a relatively small abetoir, it probably had a better life/death than most non halal beef.

Pet Northerner
Don

It's not always ignorance though is it? I can live with the fact an animal dies for the food I eat. I source the best meat I can afford that comes from reputable farms known for giving their animals longer, fuller lives pastures and fed grass.

What does that make me?

Soldato
Plants have distress signals too, trees communicate with each other, crabs only have very rudimentary "brains", your drawing of the line is very arbitrary and based on your personal emotional response.
I don't empathise with a potato.

I've heard this before - its absolutely crazy that you, and others, draw a comparison between a mammal & plants, using a plants chemical response as justification for killing a living breathing mammal - you're just deflecting the uncomfortable truth of slitting a mammals throat and it then dying is the worst hell like event to live through (and then die shortly after), its quite literally as unpleasant as you imagine it would be if I did that to you.

Plants, as proven by science, don't have a "pain" response, they have a 'the plant is being attacked' response, its certainly not pain as you feel it.

As you're clearly not too up on science - let me help you, if it moves around, under its own power, it feels pain, if it grows via sunlight, entirely different, no real pain response - and yes crabs do feel pain, as do lobsters.

Soldato
It's not always ignorance though is it? I can live with the fact an animal dies for the food I eat. I source the best meat I can afford that comes from reputable farms known for giving their animals longer, fuller lives pastures and fed grass.

What does that make me?

Same as the other guy, a lot of excuses to justify murder just because they are treated well (apparently, often its just marketing rubbish), in life.

Again, a vegan views it as murder, you can have a person that lives a luxury life, then someone goes and kills them & eats them - is the killing justified simply because the victim 'had it good' ? - of course not.

This fuzzy 'logic' makes no sense, its just excuses to try and justify what they want to do, it makes no difference to a horrible death though.

Soldato
Same as the other guy, a lot of excuses to justify murder just because they are treated well (apparently, often its just marketing rubbish), in life.

Again, a vegan views it as murder, you can have a person that lives a luxury life, then someone goes and kills them & eats them - is the killing justified simply because the victim 'had it good' ? - of course not.

This fuzzy 'logic' makes no sense, its just excuses to try and justify what they want to do, it makes no difference to a horrible death though.
Do you feel the same way when a lion kills a gazelle? Or a wolf eats a rabbit?

Caporegime
On the other hand, the sardines were found to contain levels of arsenic (0.9 to 2.2 ppm) similar to that in many canned tunas. Although none exceeded official avoidance levels for arsenic, it would seem prudent not to consume more than one serving of sardines daily — particularly those with higher arsenic levels.

I recommend 50 tins a day to non vegans ,clean this thread up a little :p
Edit not really the seas have Been destroyed enough
Check out Brazil Nuts and selenium poisoning, pretty crazy for something you can easily buy in bulk and binge eat.

Pet Northerner
Don

Well I'll call you weak for not stomaching the fact that we can eat meat and you choose not to.

You have the same "fuzzy logic" whereby you cannot accept that some people go out of their way to not buy meat produced in the way the activists will sell you on (lets be fair, the RSPCA and PETA need shock value to get donations so will only show you the worst of the worst) and use this to emotionally blackmail none vegans.

You are like a cultist who refuses to accept others for who they are. I for one don't care that you're vegan but what I do care is that you look down your nose at me for choosing my lifestyle and using emotive language and name calling to back yourself up.

It's really funny because if I were to use vegans being fine with the things they do that damage the environment / leads to indirect animal suffering / death, or comparing farm animals to fish / insects / pests etc - we get called out for "whataboutism" (it's even been said on this very thread), but its fine for the vegans are fine for comparing animals bred for food with humans.

That's what this thread (and all the vegan threads) boil down to. You have meat eaters who don't mind that vegans exist and vegans who are repulsed by the rest of humanity.

Soldato
**Animal slaughter warning**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ARrGP_u89g&ab_channel=JoeyCarbstrong

We might as well know what we're talking about, really interesting mini docu from a vegans perspective (a reasonable one, not like certain posters in this thread :cry:), showing a very good UK slaughterhouse. That should be the standard aspired to by all of them imo.

Does not bother me one jot, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom