Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
What has happened to me a few times is that i have spread out my vegan haul on the supermarket conveyer and the person next to me has quickly hid animal products ,i think this says something .
I don't think this thread will make people turn vegan on here ,it takes empathy in my case but i know many who have done veganuary and felt so much better they have kept it going so health will be the big factor followed by the environment
As said if you do it wrong you will feel rubbish ,i use a veg extract marmite type (but i used this before i was vegan) and an omega seed mix to sprinkle on porridge ect
what i did at first was drop non vegan items but not research their equivalents but have built up recopies over the years ,the currys lack nothing but then again a lot of Indian food is veggie anyway
I don't buy my meat in a supermarket so I probably look like a.veggie and that hasn't happened to me.

Soldato
Ha dammit I did buy some Aldi no sausage rolls (don't tell me ,3 litres of palm oil in a pack) :p but mostly frozen veg mix and chickpeas ,Sainsbury's banana blossom fish is my next experiment ,just looking at afew recipes

Soldato
Ha dammit I did buy some Aldi no sausage rolls (don't tell me ,3 litres of palm oil in a pack) :p but mostly frozen veg mix and chickpeas ,Sainsbury's banana blossom fish is my next experiment ,just looking at afew recipes
Looks like the Aldi ones are a mix of palm and rapeseed oil. Water, wheat and oil, the vegan dream :p

Soldato
Tbf I take on board any suggestions and will definitely do more investigation into the dodgy stuff I buy ,Tesco on Friday so I can do some groundwork and maybe more home batch cooking rather than naff no sausage rolls

Soldato
Tbf I take on board any suggestions and will definitely do more investigation into the dodgy stuff I buy ,Tesco on Friday so I can do some groundwork and maybe more home batch cooking rather than naff no sausage rolls
Butter beans in a rich tomato sauce baked with vegetarian nutmeat 'sausage', a baked potato and cabbage.

A meal I ate and enjoyed back in the 1960's when cooking was a thing. Unfortunately I have mislaid my grannies cook book

Soldato
I make a lot of veggie food actually because quality meat is too expensive to eat everyday. Butternut squash with chestnut makes a lovely 'non sausage' roll filling, some cheese also adds a richness but not sure if you eat that.

Soldato
What has happened to me a few times is that i have spread out my vegan haul on the supermarket conveyer and the person next to me has quickly hid animal products ,i think this says something .

That this person you mention is daft enough to not want to cause offence and conflict to a potential militant-vegan?

You assume shame/embarrassment on behalf of that person for eating meat when it could also be that they have had a run-in with a militant vegan before who can't mind their own business and the vegan had a go at them previously.

Did you ask them why you feel they "hid their animal products"

Caporegime
I don't think this thread will make people turn vegan on here ,it takes empathy in my case but i know many who have done veganuary and felt so much better they have kept it going so health will be the big factor followed by the environment
As said if you do it wrong you will feel rubbish ,i use a veg extract marmite type (but i used this before i was vegan) and an omega seed mix to sprinkle on porridge ect
what i did at first was drop non vegan items but not research their equivalents but have built up recopies over the years ,the currys lack nothing but then again a lot of Indian food is veggie anyway
It says to me that

1 - You are either thinking something in your head, or interpreting something that is not. Like putting something like meat at the bottom because it is heavier than crisps. Or something that if leaked, not get meat juice trickle down onto the veg.

2 - They are a bunch of weirdos where you live, to be embarrassed of another's shopping

3 - You have a massive sign on your forehead that says "vegan, fear me". How the hell would another person know that you are a vegan or who pays attention that much to another person's shopping? I don't buy meat at every shop, sometimes I ONLY get veg.

That reads like you got a massive ego narcissistic issue. It's almost like what I said earlier about vegans here thinking their diet is the BEST and pushing it to everyone else. Now you think people are embarrassed to be around you because of your shopping. Oh come on!

Last edited:
Soldato
Why do these restaurants chains want to cater for 17% of the city’s population?
Not debating the right or wrongs of it... but it will have been a carefully considered commercial decision.
They are aiming to gain up to 17% increased clients due to serving halal etc and are banking on less than 17% of their existing customers caring enough to go elsewhere.

I must admit given a choice i would not go halal but at the same time if there was one eatery within walking distance from me and it was halal, would i be strong enough in my beliefs to boycott? Probably not.

esp as i like a turkish kebab from time to time.

Soldato
I use click and collect for all my groceries......... except fresh fruit and veg which i go instore for. I must look like a super healthy vegi when i do the shop when the reality is far from that.

maybe you are right and people are ashamed....... I know i wouldnt be but i cant speak for others.... OTOH maybe it is your imagination.... or perhaps people are just trying to be respectful of you. I love pork sausages, but would probably not wave them under a Muslim's or Jew's nose, not because i am ashamed of eating them but because I try to be tolerant of other peoples feelings when it does not negatively affect me.

Caporegime
I use click and collect for all my groceries......... except fresh fruit and veg which i go instore for. I must look like a super healthy vegi when i do the shop when the reality is far from that.

maybe you are right and people are ashamed....... I know i wouldnt be but i cant speak for others.... OTOH maybe it is your imagination.... or perhaps people are just trying to be respectful of you. I love pork sausages, but would probably not wave them under a Muslim's or Jew's nose, not because i am ashamed of eating them but because I try to be tolerant of other peoples feelings when it does not negatively affect me.

But how would they know he is a vegan though?

Unless he goes around telling people?

Soldato
But how would they know he is a vegan though?

Unless he goes around telling people?
true.... which was my main point in my 1st sentence really. I have respect for Vegans. in general i do believe it is a more sustainable diet, just dont preach about it (not aimed at you obviously). There are many ways to do our bit for both the environment and animal welfare. Diet is just one of them.

Caporegime
What it says is that you are reading another person's actions in some convoluted way that is really quite odd :D
There is no way it has happened a few times (if at all), if I have learnt one thing living in the UK for the past 20 years, is that people don't give a crap about what other people think.

And if it has happened, it wasn't done out of being ashamed, it was done to avoid a potential lecture from a vegan. ;)

Man of Honour
1 - You are either thinking something in your head, or interpreting something that is not. Like putting something like meat at the bottom because it is heavier than crisps. Or something that if leaked, not get meat juice trickle down onto the veg.

2 - They are a bunch of weirdos where you live, to be embarrassed of another's shopping

Probably a mixture of 1 and 2 - I've noticed some people do some very odd things when going through the tills but sometimes a method to the madness which isn't immediately apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom