Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The animal cruetly aspect, if every cow/pig/chicken lived their full life term and died of natural causes I wouldnt have a problem with eating them.

Although that doesn't always happen in nature naturally. However, I wouldn't have a problem paying a bit more if there was an over hall of farms with more of a humane focus in relation to animals. I can easily imagine though that the cost to do that and the end cost of meat to customers would be prohibitively high.

Caporegime
The animal cruetly aspect, if every cow/pig/chicken lived their full life term and died of natural causes I wouldnt have a problem with eating them.

The pigs wouldn't exist plain and simple. There is no reason to rear a pig except for its meat. Having one as a pet is simply not feasible to 99% of home owners either.

Cows at least offer milk and chickens eggs.

Man of Honour
I must admit whilst I will happily accept that a vegetarian life style is healthy as well as environmentally sustainable, I do find it harder to swallow about a strict vegan one..... for reasons mentioned in the post above.

I think a lot depends on what you consider a vegetarian diet. It's not really defined. With the strictest definition there's no difference between a vegetarian diet and a vegan diet at all and the difference between vegetarianism and veganism lies in non-food products. So, for example, a vegetarian might use paint or cosmetics or whatever that contain animal products but a vegan wouldn't. With the loosest definition all that's excluded from a vegetarian diet is land animals and avian animals and even then only if the animal is directly killed for meat. Eggs? Dairy? Fish? All vegetarian by the loosest definition. Fish isn't meat, for some reason. Although they don't go as far as the...let's call it "creative classification"...of animals you can find in the middle ages to get around the Christian restrictions on eating meat on any of the numerous holy days they had back then. All sorts of animals were classified as fishes for that purpose.

For me becoming vegan is simply not gonna happen, but i do eat a lot of what could be considered vegetarian food. (tho i think of it as meat free rather than specifically vegetarian)

I don't think of meat as a bad thing, so I don't think of any food as being meat free. I just think of it as food. I'd call it vegetarian if I was to label it at all, since it is compatible with vegetarianism. How about, for example, a chip butty? Or a baked potato with beans? Or a bag of nuts? There are all sorts of foods that don't contain meat (or other animal products) and which are routinely eaten by people who are omnivores.

Yesterday I had some bao stuffed with chopped vegetables. Fine for even the strictest vegan. I ate them because I hadn't eaten them before and I'll eat them again because I thought they were very good eating. If someone asked I'd say it was vegan. But I just think of it as food.

Man of Honour

Wild animals rarely live "their full life term", usually dying of disease, injury or from being killed by other animals. And you certainly should have a problem with eating carrion even if it didn't die of disease. Humans are most definitely not physiologically adapted to doing so.

Soldato
My grandmother was a vegetarian she was born in 1896. She ate no meat or fish but was OK with dairy, milk and cheese. She was very against animal testing and would not use products tested on animals or using any form of vivisection. She was a formidable woman and sometimes scared us to death but overall very good hearted in retrospect.

We got tracts on vegetarianism or anti vivisection with our hand knitted socks for christmas. :)

Soldato
OP
Wild animals rarely live "their full life term", usually dying of disease, injury or from being killed by other animals. And you certainly should have a problem with eating carrion even if it didn't die of disease. Humans are most definitely not physiologically adapted to doing so.

That they do, but im not talking about wild animals, im talking about animals we raise for a few months (or weeks for chickens) then kill.

The pigs wouldn't exist plain and simple. There is no reason to rear a pig except for its meat. Having one as a pet is simply not feasible to 99% of home owners either.

Cows at least offer milk and chickens eggs.

uh huh, "offer" heh, you mean the milk meant for the baby cows that we take.

Soldato
OP

Interesting article and there's some debate to be had for sure, however....

The article is a bit of a straw man, the idea that all vegan food is supposed to be healthy, and going vegan will stop climate change on its own. You can be healthy or unhealthy on both a plant based diet and one that includes meat, It depends what you eat.

As for the environment, She bangs on about emissions, but makes no mention of the other impacts of animal agriculture on the environment, like water pollution, air pollution, deforestation, the land and resource usage required for meat and dairy.

She also conveniently omits soy production and says about 1 whole paragraph for animal welfare which is why we go vegan in the first place....oh and "but avocados tho" As if only vegans consume avocado.

This article has less of an agenda more statistics and doesn't promote any books xD

Man of Honour
That they do, but im not talking about wild animals, im talking about animals we raise for a few months (or weeks for chickens) then kill.

You were talking about what your preferences:

But your preferences would remove all of the animals you refer to from existence. There wouldn't be any animals raised for meat. Or even for eggs or milk. If there wasn't any animal farming there would only be wild animals and pets. So you are talking about wild animals. And the point about carrion still stands. Humans aren't adapted to eating carrion. But it would be a moot point anyway because few humans ever find carrion. In almost all cases other processes consume the corpse. The predator that killed that animal. Scavenging animals, who are much more likely to find it than humans are. Insects. Bacteria. Mould.

I'm assuming you wouldn't count roadkill because that's not "lived their full life term and died of natural causes". It's also relatively rare.

I'm also assuming that, for some reason, you count an animal being killed by a human as unnatural but an animal killed by any animal other than humans natural.

Soldato
one of our common roadblocks around here is both highland cattle and wild horses they just randomly walk the streets and trim the verges
they would quite happily graze the land without been bred to ne killed
Grazing is often the most effective and natural way to maintain certain habitats such as grassland and heathland. It helps to keep areas open and ensuring a wider variety of plants

Soldato
Why are you not Vegan? Probably because you Vegans are like flat earthers. Pushing your narrative any chance you can. No reasoning, EVEN if non vegans don't say anything negative towards veganism.
this from first hand experience whilst working in Retail and hospitality.

In all seriousness I like meat, end of.
Enjoy you meat and Derby , nice life.......

Soldato
Interesting article and there's some debate to be had for sure, however....

The article is a bit of a straw man, the idea that all vegan food is supposed to be healthy, and going vegan will stop climate change on its own. You can be healthy or unhealthy on both a plant based diet and one that includes meat, It depends what you eat.

As for the environment, She bangs on about emissions, but makes no mention of the other impacts of animal agriculture on the environment, like water pollution, air pollution, deforestation, the land and resource usage required for meat and dairy.

She also conveniently omits soy production and says about 1 whole paragraph for animal welfare which is why we go vegan in the first place....oh and "but avocados tho" As if only vegans consume avocado.

This article has less of an agenda more statistics and doesn't promote any books xD
Do you drink coffee?
Are you planning any foreign holidays/been on any in the last 10 years?
Own a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom