• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I was just looking at the packet for engervita vegan, on the list of allergens it lists eggs... Erm, sounds very vegan
I am not a vegan and nor do i know the law however if i had to guess it will be that legally something can be marketed as vegan but is allowed to be made or packaged on the same lines as products which DO contain decidedly non vegan stuff.
OTOH medical allergies can be deadly and as such the standards have to be higher to made damn sure nothing which can give a deadly allergic reaction can go anywhere near such food.

Personally I am fine with that, I would be ok considering something Vegan whilst not being medical grade pure as ok... .but I am not a vegan.

however I imagine it will further push prices up if these things have to be made on separate lines.

Similar to why many products have warnings about nut allergies when technically there should be no nuts in something.

if i do a BBQ for some of my Vegi friends (I am not close friends with any vegans but know a few vegis)........ I am more than happy cooking them a meat free burger for instance, but they have to accept it will be on the same BBQ as my burgers. I am not wasting the coal and having the added work of running 2 BBQs. If that is an issue then they can use the oven (which even then may not be 100% clean of meat residue)

Soldato
I was thinking back to the 1980's, just married and money was tight we used to buy a rabbit from the butchers which made a curry and a casserole over the weekend. There was a bit of prep but only deboning as you would to spatchcock a bird.
As I recall it was cheaper than a chicken at the time, chicken was expensive to have every week. Not like today where it could be an everyday meal even if quite bland.

So where are all the rabbits guys.

Soldato
I was thinking back to the 1980's, just married and money was tight we used to buy a rabbit from the butchers which made a curry and a casserole over the weekend. There was a bit of prep but only deboning as you would to spatchcock a bird.
As I recall it was cheaper than a chicken at the time, chicken was expensive to have every week. Not like today where it could be an everyday meal even if quite bland.

i like rabbit.... dont like hare much.

I grew up in the countryside. as a kid my parents had no money for much really. much of our meat was what dad shot (rabbit, (wild) duck, pheasant or pigeon)

even when we had chicken it was one of the ones from our garden. I loved it, as a childhood it was amazing, not much money for the stuff kids often find important now but was rich in other ways, we even had our own hatchery in the garden and hatched out chickens for ourselves and friends as well as reared pheasants which we then released on the local farmland (for the local wildfoulers - my dad included - to shoot). Pretty sure bloodsports wont be appreciated in a vegan thread but it is the ultimate in free range food.... I never enjoyed it myself, my only shooting was at tin cans and targets, but i did used to like fishing so I never judge - not when it is for food anyway. .

minor segue as a kid (probably around 6 or so years old) when plucking and gutting the animals we used to line up the different organs and compare them - before feeding to the cat. True story at that time i wanted to be a pathologist so i could bring the spare bits home to feed to the cat (in between wanting to be a spaceman or a stuntman like Colt Seavers :D

Last edited:
Soldato

My local market often has whole rabbits, cows' tongues, sheep heads etc. But they're not cheaper than chicken.

from TV last night - now, that is something I could engage with, cooking from scratch, who really wants a look-alike burger.

Guy Fieri Is Impressed By How Outstanding This Hot Mushroom Sandwich Is | Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives

That does look pretty good, we are running a tempura hen of the woods mushroom with chilli/kombu dashi dipping sauce atm and it's really good.

I also knocked up a vegan wild mushroom toast, vegan mustard mayo, chimichurri and garlic/shallot crisps:

20220421-113535.png

Soldato
My local market often has whole rabbits, cows' tongues, sheep heads etc. But they're not cheaper than chicken.
I expect Rabbit will be expensive now as local populations have been decimated by a disease (worse than mixi apparently) I dont know the details however....... Rabbit from the butchers will have been shot by local wildfoulers so i would not expect it to be cheap anyway. its an incredibly low supply as it is not farmed and as such would probably be a premium, esp compared to the cheap mass produced chicken we see at the supermarket.

Soldato
I just saw a certain inevitability,I eat meat ,that won't change and maybe location won't change ,sometimes I question things like living in a dump ( west Yorkshire changed that )supporting animal slaughter (changed that)
Most on here are just blinkered and head in the direction they are told by their parents like Duracell bunnys
Well, I have not been blinkered into anything. I make my own decisions since I was 7.
No reason to change that I eat meat.

Soldato
i bet you don't.

i'm starting to think you're smoking some of your plant based food.

Apparently moving house and going on a diet makes you some kind of genius "free thinker" lmao.

I think this thread only goes to prove that switching to veganism actually increases green house gases as there's quite a lot of methane coming from their mouth holes.

Soldato

That does look pretty good, we are running a tempura hen of the woods mushroom with chilli/kombu dashi dipping sauce atm and it's really good.

I also knocked up a vegan wild mushroom toast, vegan mustard mayo, chimichurri and garlic/shallot crisps:

20220421-113535.png
that looks like a plate of poo with green leaves thrown on top of it :p

also, mushrooms are vile things!

Soldato
also, mushrooms are vile things!
Nonsense! :D But they have to be done right. Boiled is no go, unless in a risotto (where you'd brown them before you start adding liquids anyway). Best fried. Grill or BBQ is fine. Oven is passable. Never, ever wash them first (scrape them off with a brush or kitchen roll).

A perfect accompaniment for a steak, sausages or as a main as part of a risotto (with some lardons or chorizo). Obviously can be had as a vegan risotto too, though I've no idea if there's a vegan equivalent of parmesan or what would replace the butter.

Soldato
It doesn't mean it has any egg in it, they legally have to say this
I was once shouted at for standing within 5 meters of a vegan food van with a beefburger "in case you get your dirty meat juice on my van", but if you guys are ok with eating vegan food with potentially bits of egg in it then thats fine with me ;)

Soldato
Nonsense! :D But they have to be done right. Boiled is no go, unless in a risotto (where you'd brown them before you start adding liquids anyway). Best fried. Grill or BBQ is fine. Oven is passable. Never, ever wash them first (scrape them off with a brush or kitchen roll).

A perfect accompaniment for a steak, sausages or as a main as part of a risotto (with some lardons or chorizo). Obviously can be had as a vegan risotto too, though I've no idea if there's a vegan equivalent of parmesan or what would replace the butter.
that's just a big fat nope right there........bokey, awful, horrid things. think i'd sooner have a plate of Amber Heards bed poop :p

Suspended
Vegan food production will certainly consist of the wholesale slaughter of insects along with the knock-on effects of that up the food chain. The whole ideology behind it is laughable.

Soldato
nothing, but 3 people in the queue left and went to the real burger van, so i call that justice
so some lentil head barked at you for eating a real burger and you didn't get your meat head on and go full bore at them. you're a disgrace to meat eaters everywhere :p :p
funny how we never hear of meat eaters berating the lettuce leaf chuggers. is it maybe cause normal folk who eat normal grub just get on with their lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom