Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Man of Honour
100.01 seems snappier than previous versions for me - though I think that is mostly because it is using more intelligent deferred loading to prevent elements tying up the initial page opening process.

Man of Honour
Haven't had problems with the auto-download feature like some have but occasionally middle-mouse button click on something by accident and it automatically downloads it which is a bit of a pain. One of those things you just can't imagine what the person developing it was thinking at least without implementing it with an option.

Man of Honour
Still intermittently getting an issue where I can't load a new site in a new tab - if I open a link from an open page in a new tab I can then navigate to any site but if I try to open a new tab and enter a URL it just loads forever - once it starts happening I pretty much have to close and re-open Firefox or it keeps happening.

Soldato
Still intermittently getting an issue where I can't load a new site in a new tab - if I open a link from an open page in a new tab I can then navigate to any site but if I try to open a new tab and enter a URL it just loads forever - once it starts happening I pretty much have to close and re-open Firefox or it keeps happening.
Do you have DNS over HTTPS enabled? Could try turning it on/off or another secure DNS provider and see if it still happens. Haven't had any issues with Cloudflare.

Man of Honour
Do you have DNS over HTTPS enabled? Could try turning it on/off or another secure DNS provider and see if it still happens. Haven't had any issues with Cloudflare.

Had a play with stuff like that awhile back when it first started happening without solving it.

Soldato

101.0​

Firefox Release​

May 31, 2022
Version 101.0, first offered to Release channel users on May 31, 2022
We’d like to extend a special thank you to all of the new Mozillians who contributed to this release of Firefox!

New​

• Reading is now easier with the prefers-contrast media query, which allows sites to detect if the user has requested that web content is presented with a higher (or lower) contrast.
  • It’s your choice! All non-configured MIME types can now be assigned a custom action upon download completion.
  • Firefox now allows users to use as many microphones as you want, at the same time, during video conferencing. The most exciting benefit is that you can easily switch your microphones at any time (if your conferencing service provider enables this flexibility).

Fixed​

Enterprise​

Developer​

• Developer Information
  • Inspector panel: When adding/removing a class name to/from an existing HTML element (using .cls button in Rules View), an autocomplete drop down automatically offers all existing class names on the page. In Firefox 101 the selected class name in the autocomplete drop-down list is auto-applied immediately as the user changes the selection of the autocomplete list (using up/down arrow keys). This is especially useful for quick testing of various styles.
  • Inspector panel: This new option can be used to disable “drag to update” features in the Rule View (values of some CSS properties e.g., sizes can be modified by dragging the mouse horizontally).
  • WebDriver BiDi: This protocol is enabled on the release channel to support external tools such as Selenium, which plan to start using WebDriver BiDi for Firefox. WebDriver-BiDi aims to provide a cross-browser protocol for browser automation that meets the requirements of modern web application testing tools. This allows both the client and the server to send & receive requests and responses.

Web Platform​

• Firefox new has added support for large, small, dynamic viewport units and logical ones (*vi and *vb). This gives users the flexibility to choose whether page elements are sized to the “smallest” viewport size (dynamic toolbar visible), “largest” viewport size (dynamic toolbar hidden), or “dynamic” viewport size (based on current status of dynamic toolbar).
  • Firefox 101 features added web conferencing support for enumerating (reducing errors caused by transposing or mistyping numbers) and selecting multiple audio input devices (giving you the ability to record or process multiple separate audio sources together, synchronously, at once) through navigator.mediaDevices.enumerateDevices().

Community Contributions​

Soldato
Firefox 102.0

New

• Tired of too many windows crowding your screen? You can now disable automatic opening of the download panel every time a new download starts. Read more.
  • Firefox now mitigates query parameter tracking when navigating sites in ETP strict mode.
  • Subtitles and captions for Picture-in-Picture (PiP) are now available at HBO Max, Funimation, Dailymotion, Tubi, Disney+ Hotstar, and SonyLIV. This allows you to view video in a small window pinned to a corner of the screen while navigating between apps or browsing content on the main screen.
Fixed
  • When using a screen reader on Windows, pressing enter to activate an element no longer fails or clicks the wrong element and/or another application window. For those blind or with very limited vision, this technology reads out loud what is on the screen, and users can adapt them to their needs (now, on our platform, without errors).
  • Various security fixes.
Changed
Enterprise
  • Various bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the latest version of Firefox. You can find more information in the Firefox for Enterprise 102 Release Notes.
  • Firefox 102 is the new Extended Support Release (ESR). Firefox 91 ESR goes out of support on September 20, 2022. (See the 102 ESR release notes for more information)
Developer
Developer Information
You can now filter style sheets in the Style Editor tab of our developer tools
Web Platform
  • TransformStream and ReadableStream.pipeThrough have landed, allowing you to pipe from a ReadableStream to a WritableStream, executing a transformation on each chunk.
  • ReadableStream, TransformStream, and WritableStream are all transferable now.
  • Firefox now supports Content-Security-Policy (CSP) integration with WebAssembly. A document with a CSP that restricts scripts will no longer execute WebAssembly unless the policy uses 'unsafe-eval' or the new 'wasm-unsafe-eval' keyword.

Soldato
I use Firefox on my PC, but use Opera on my tablet and phone. The font for a long time made Firefox slightly more uncomfortable to read on my tablet and phone, hence why I use Opera, but I may give Firefox another go.

Associate
Does anyone know how to remove the tab animation when opening/closing tabs added in 104 (nightly) ?

I've disabled animations but doesn't work on the tabs.

U2I7y7U.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
Little cool thing I came across for those who use FF with Netflix and have been annoyed that out the box Netflix only dish out 720p to FF whilst Edge gets 1080P... Install this add-on. It fetches the 1080P stream: https://github.com/TheGoddessInari/netflix-1080p-firefox

The link has a test pattern link you can verify it with and I can confirm 1080p does indeed work :cool:

Been using that for years, depending on the film it might get locked at 540p but that's due to the DRM on older films and FF doesn't support it yet only Edge or the Windows Netflix app will play those in 1080p.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ah yes, older films I never watch on Netflix anyway, all the new ones seem fine at 1080P! (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+D to check during playback)

Soldato
This might seem like a strange question but has anyone else noticed issues with hotukdeals/elsewhere when it goes through the 'tracker links'... normally ublock etc gives me a pop up saying what tracker it is and gives me the option of a temporary allowance to go to said site.

Now for some reason, and it might only be the tradedoubler one automatically closes no matter what I do, even after I've given it a temporary ok.... wouldn't be an issue if I didn't actually want to go to the deal but I actually want to go look at the deal.... it does not do it with edge so it's clearly something in firefox/ublock force closing the page.

Huawei laptop/monitor deal is an example

Soldato
This might seem like a strange question but has anyone else noticed issues with hotukdeals/elsewhere when it goes through the 'tracker links'... normally ublock etc gives me a pop up saying what tracker it is and gives me the option of a temporary allowance to go to said site.

Now for some reason, and it might only be the tradedoubler one automatically closes no matter what I do, even after I've given it a temporary ok.... wouldn't be an issue if I didn't actually want to go to the deal but I actually want to go look at the deal.... it does not do it with edge so it's clearly something in firefox/ublock force closing the page.

Huawei laptop/monitor deal is an example

What is your enhanced tracking protection set to? Latest version of FF stops some url tracking by default now.

Soldato
What is your enhanced tracking protection set to? Latest version of FF stops some url tracking by default now.

Was custom, tried strict and custom etc, even disabled the toggle. Turned off ublock as well (shudder lol)

The thing is 'nothing' had changed since the last time it worked, I could click 'temporary' and it would carry on as expected... now it closes after temporary or even before I get that far. It's just really weird.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Not an issue since RAM is supposed to be made use of and I have 64GB, but anyone know why there's a difference between was about:performance shows for memory usage and what Windows Task Manager shows? The totals are 9GB in Task Manager for FF, yet about:performance doesn't even show 1GB being used.

8cLpZIh.jpg

Dup

Dup

Soldato
It's likely only accountingfor the webpage itself, and not the streamed content (IE, the video content). Are you also using PIP? That may be a factor.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Quite possibly, not using PIP by the way, I end tasked the entry on task manager showing 6GB of RAM btw to see which tab closed to isolate the content in question, no tabs closed lol but I did have to reload some tabs that had media playing/paused which is expected. I guess it was an internal process within FF where media was cached/buffered or something.

As I say, not an issue, there's loads of RAM to go round. Was just interesting.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I have a 3D scene rendering in every browser bar Firefox.

Trying to get support on it is like pulling teeth. Relegated to forums with no apparent way to get direct dev support, even if you want to pay for it.

Another reason NOT to use Firefox :p

Back
Top Bottom