Windows 10

I think you may be onto something with DX12 Ace. Its as if selecting the game means the video and the game start competing for the same thread or something?

Does the game stutter at all, or is it just video playback that's affected?

I think you may be onto something with DX12 Ace. Its as if selecting the game means the video and the game start competing for the same thread or something?

Does the game stutter at all, or is it just video playback that's affected?

game seems fine. I should try another game really. I've only tested one game so far..... Give me 15mins to try another game.

You could try manualy setting the affinity on the processes so the game has all but 1 core and you restrict chrome to just the other core and see if that makes any difference? Not really a solution but its a way to test if it's CPU utilisation that's messing with things.

You could try manualy setting the affinity on the processes so the game has all but 1 core and you restrict chrome to just the other core and see if that makes any difference? Not really a solution but its a way to test if it's CPU utilisation that's messing with things.

I hate to say this, but how do I set this?

Tried 3 different games - all 3 caused the video playback to be jerky/choppy. Soon as I close the games video goes smoooooooth again.

Last edited:
Anybody else who can test this? Maybe its just my installation...?

Wondering if all installs suffer with this, problem is.. it prob not possible to test via a VM because games will run like dog pooh anyway.

I imagine anybody running this natively with games installed and 2 monitors maybe slim pickings...

It could even be nvidia drivers, maybe?

Last edited:
Right, I have found out the cause of my video playback stuttering;

It happens when I'm playing games in Windowed Fullscreen mode on my primary monitor.
And a video playing via chrome on my second screen.

The video playback goes really jkerky like 1 frame change every 1 second, but the audio is smooth.

But if I switch my game to full screen (none windowed mode) the video is silky smooth.

Windows 8.1 never had this issue? Any ideas how to fix it?

EDIT - Sorry, the stuttering is still happening in full screen (none windowed) but not as much. Do you think it could be the way DX12 handles video and games together? Hopefully there will be fix for it soon.

EDIT2 - Ah.... if I select the game as the active window the video is choppy, but if i select a window that is not a game, then the video is smooth even if the game is open and on full screen-windowed on my primary screen.
I've actually had similar problems with Skype. If I have a game open, I can't type in the Skype window properly because the input is painfully slow. This has been an issue on Windows 8.1 though.

Wondering if all installs suffer with this, problem is.. it prob not possible to test via a VM because games will run like dog pooh anyway.

I imagine anybody running this natively with games installed and 2 monitors maybe slim pickings...

I'll test this for you in a bit.

I running 10 Pro 10166 as my main OS that was upgraded over my 8.1 install with lots of background stuff running, will run some games with some videos playing in Firefox, VLC and MPC and see what happens.

Both screens are 1080p TV's. Will update this post soon.

Update - Tried playing games such as GTA 5, The Crew and Witcher 3 while playing 1080p and 4K videos with VLC, MPC and on YouTube with HTML5 on Firefox 40 on the second screen (fullscreen and in window mode). Everything ran very smoothly, games and videos ran silky smooth at the same time.

I'm using Nvidia 353.38.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure what build I'm on but if I've got a chrome tab open with a flash video playing on one monitor I'll get occasional stutter and lag with both the video and whatever is on the other monitor.

That's with a GTX460 and Celeron G1610, its not something I remember happening on Win 8.1

Yes it could be.
Is the video using GFX acceleration, and the game is stealing priority on the GFX card?

Strange problem here....

10166 downloads and installs from windows update,
Restarts
Desktop shows build 10162:confused:
notification says "failed to install updates" - but when you click goes to windows update and starts downloading again.
Rinse and repeat.

I guess i'll be skipping 10166 then

Back
Top Bottom