Windows 10

Build 158 forced me to attach my local account to my Microsoft account before i was able to download the 166 build. A bit annoying.

Not really, this has been publicised for quite a while.

Membership to the Insider Program is tied to your Microsoft Account, so if if you wish to continue with the Insider Program from about build 10130 onwards you need to sign in with your MS Account.

Plus, I can't see any logical reason not to use a Microsoft Account to sign in for normal use anyway?

Not really, this has been publicised for quite a while.

Membership to the Insider Program is tied to your Microsoft Account, so if if you wish to continue with the Insider Program from about build 10130 onwards you need to sign in with your MS Account.

Plus, I can't see any logical reason not to use a Microsoft Account to sign in for normal use anyway?

I don't see any reason to use a microsoft account. I don't use the store or any of the new apps. I was able to sign in to the feedback app independently. I didn;t know my ms password as it is copy paste from keepass, so i was locked out of my account after reboot. I had to login with a new account, open ms account options to reset my password, then i had to open webmail to open ms account. Then i reset the password. it was a lot Easier to just stay on the local account. now i have set it up to use a pin, but that seems dumb, instead of a long password now its a 4 digit pin. How could that be a better idea exactly?

Other complaints on this new build is that contana is running non stop and the process won't die. I don't have a mic and i don't use the windows search for web searching. I can't seem to disable the notification any more, that keep popping up and telling me pointless things, like what i do want to do with an sd card and that smart screen is disabled.

Also annoying that i can't disable windows defender. Opening up a downloads folder with 30 .exe takes about 30 seconds to load on a ssd because windows defender has to scan each one like its 1998.

They have removed the disable search option. Why do that?

Last edited:
Depends if you wear a tin foil hat. ;)

Which you obviously don't if your running the Preview :p

People are just deliberately being awkward for the sake of it. Its quite funny the lengths people will go to in order to complain. anything I don't minds complaint seeds from the simple problem of him forgetting his password. That's hardly Microsoft fault :p

The login with MS accounts is a great system for using multiple machines and for Onedrive.

I don't want to sync my pc to microsoft. I have one desktop pc and that is it. Next it will be syncing with my work pc and messing everything up. So dumb.

It took me about 15-30mins after logging in to the new build to fix it up. I wanted to unlock the account from the ms account as it would be easier than disabling everything but i was concerned that MS might break the whole profile as a punishment for disconnecting it from the ms account. I have to do this every build as they reenable.

Disable all syncing. Remove defrag and disk check scheduled tasks, disable windows defender scheduled tasks. disable windows defender, disable all background metro apps, disable all notifications, disable all search and indexing, remove action center icons.

At least this time it didn't reset the start menu which i thought was a big improvement. Now i can log with four number pin.

To disable windows defender, add all your drives to the exception list.

lol phone companion process running on my desktop. under other devices, it wants to know if my apps can use my hitachi 3tb hard drive?

I see AMD released windows 10 drivers, not tested the projector yet, hopefully now they have fixed the 1080. If not then it is ms who needs to fix it.

A big problem with public beta testing is that most people won't log at all :( it's a shame... I've log probably 70% of the problems I've had, the other 30% being automatically resolved with new builds.

Most people want to try something new, not test it... we can see in this thread some people who just want Windows 10 because it's new, and many who are "testing" it...

Except even a small percentage who do is still 10s of thousands many times more than what could internally test.

2ndly it doesn't just rely on people reporting stuff. It can gather and send info back to Ms in it's own.

I don't want to sync my pc to microsoft. I have one desktop pc and that is it. Next it will be syncing with my work pc and messing everything up. So dumb.

It took me about 15-30mins after logging in to the new build to fix it up. I wanted to unlock the account from the ms account as it would be easier than disabling everything but i was concerned that MS might break the whole profile as a punishment for disconnecting it from the ms account. I have to do this every build as they reenable.

Disable all syncing. Remove defrag and disk check scheduled tasks, disable windows defender scheduled tasks. disable windows defender, disable all background metro apps, disable all notifications, disable all search and indexing, remove action center icons.

At least this time it didn't reset the start menu which i thought was a big improvement. Now i can log with four number pin.

To disable windows defender, add all your drives to the exception list.

lol phone companion process running on my desktop. under other devices, it wants to know if my apps can use my hitachi 3tb hard drive?

I see AMD released windows 10 drivers, not tested the projector yet, hopefully now they have fixed the 1080. If not then it is ms who needs to fix it.

Now your just being difficult for the sake of it.

OneDrive alone is a reason to use a Microsoft Account. A lot of games store saves in the Documents folder now and they automatically restore after a format.

Lol.

Its an awful lot of effort he's going to in order to disable quite useful features.

I've come to realise that having your entire profile and documents stored entirely within a single PC is rather outdated. I can now log into any Internet connected Windows 8.x or 10 PC in the world and have everything there.

Last edited:
Yeah. It's Microsoft playing catch up, Apple have been going this way for a few years now. I find it very convenient that the useful settings, bookmarks etc sync between my two Macs and smartphone and it just works.

I've nothing to hide so it's not an issue.

Syncing can be quite useful but I don't always want to use it in every situation on every device - it would get turned off on my main desktop if it was on anything newer than Windows 7 (I can restore from my NAS quite quickly).

An OS should be about enabling the user as far as is reasonable not forcing them down certain usage paths or styles - something a lot of people seem to have lost sight of.

Last edited:
Not saying you can't - just seemed to be a bit of sentiment above of why would anyone want to.

No, what were taking about is not signing in with a Microsoft Account, which is totally different to disabling selected parts of syncing.

I sign into my laptop, PC, tablet and server on 8.1/10 using my MS account, but each device has different parts of syncing enabled, and different OneDrive settings.

You don't need to use Local accounts in order to disable syncing, which seems to be one of the reasons anything I don't mind wants to use Local.

I can see why it would need to be disabled. Not every PC is internet connected. There should be an option on first boot to enable cloud integration as with OS X.

There is. And OneDrive syncing is off by default too.

when's the actual release date for win10 ?

29th July

Back
Top Bottom