Windows 10

They aren't losing any money through offering free upgrades.

This is just the way the world had gone now, when using the App style of delivery. Just like mobile OSs.

Hello peeps, I am aware of the fact this question might have already been asked but I don't fancy going through 151 pages :D . So , is it "safe" to go on and upgrade to win 10 on the 29th ? (gaming and everything together) or should I give it a few more months until they patch everything out if needed ?

Hello peeps, I am aware of the fact this question might have already been asked but I don't fancy going through 151 pages :D . So , is it "safe" to go on and upgrade to win 10 on the 29th ? (gaming and everything together) or should I give it a few more months until they patch everything out if needed ?

I've switched already - only 1 issue I found so far is that video playback via web-browsers when gaming on another monitor is jerky/choppy.

For anyone else who, for whatever reason, wants to switch NOW, and has an OEM version of Windows 8.1 currently installed on their PC, what is the best way to install the Windows 10 preview version?

Can it be done through Windows Upgrade, or is it necessary to download the latest available ISO file, and do a 'clean' download directly from that?

I am currently trying to help my son out here, as he has just moved house, so can't lay his hands on very much, and has somehow managed to get his laptop in such a mess that he is anxious to start again from scratch, as it were.

Thanks! :)

For the love of God Microsoft.... stop with all the in built adverts. LOL

I've just opened the Microsoft Solitaire Collection - and going into various sub-screens and menu's is bringing up FULL screen video adverts!

Sigh!

Disabling the ads via the Skype ad disabling method, doesn't work either :(

Told you so! I just knew it!

For anyone else who, for whatever reason, wants to switch NOW, and has an OEM version of Windows 8.1 currently installed on their PC, what is the best way to install the Windows 10 preview version?

Can it be done through Windows Upgrade, or is it necessary to download the latest available ISO file, and do a 'clean' download directly from that?

I am currently trying to help my son out here, as he has just moved house, so can't lay his hands on very much, and has somehow managed to get his laptop in such a mess that he is anxious to start again from scratch, as it were.

Thanks! :)

Yes join the insider preview program on Microsofts web page download the preview enabler thing and wait for Winodws update to get to you.

Andi.

I've switched already - only 1 issue I found so far is that video playback via web-browsers when gaming on another monitor is jerky/choppy.

I have permanently switched starting with build 10130 via Windows update over the top of my 2yr 8.1 Pro install. I am now on build 10166 and all my games/apps work great that I have tried work perfectly, I have no issues at all with 10 Pro and it's very stable and fast. I am 100% satisfied with Windows 10 even in it's preview state.

I did try running games on one screen, 1080p/4K video on the other (full screen video and in a window). Tried MKV videos in VLC and MPC as well as watching YouTube videos in Firefox 40 (HTML5). Both games and videos ran perfectly together on my setup.

Told you so! I just knew it!

Yes, yes, I already know that, too. Some diehard Microsoft users wouldn't care, but I do care. I hate interfering adverts and unwanted adverts.

Paid Windows 10 will still likely to have adwares as it is still integral to Microsoft's money making tactics!

Could we all start a thread on Linux based system, separate from this thread but keeping it within the OCUK Forums as I do not believe it is restricted to Windows only forum, is it not?

Ace Modders - Sorry, but that's what I knew Microsoft would do something like that.

Paid Windows 10 will still likely to have adwares as it is still integral to Microsoft's money making tactics!

All Windows 10 licenses are paid. There is no such thing as free Windows.

Could we all start a thread on Linux based system, separate from this thread but keeping it within the OCUK Forums as I do not believe it is restricted to Windows only forum, is it not?.

Theres a whole sub forum here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Ace Modders - Sorry, but that's what I knew Microsoft would do something like that.

Microsoft have had adverts in their products since MSN Messenger v1.0.

Yes join the insider preview program on Microsofts web page download the preview enabler thing and wait for Winodws update to get to you.

Andi.

Thanks Andi!

I take it 'the preview enabler thing' is the link on the "Download Windows 10 Insider Preview" page which says "Start the upgrade now" and then prompts you to download "Windows10InsiderPreview.exe" which presumably 'starts the ball rolling' as it were.

If I were to execute that now, can you please tell me the approx size of the download, as our broadband speed here is very low, and I wouldn't mind trying it on my laptop also?

Actually I might even take it down to Watford with me (where he lives) to benefit from a much higher connection speed!

Thanks Andi!

I take it 'the preview enabler thing' is the link on the "Download Windows 10 Insider Preview" page which says "Start the upgrade now" and then prompts you to download "Windows10InsiderPreview.exe" which presumably 'starts the ball rolling' as it were.

If I were to execute that now, can you please tell me the approx size of the download, as our broadband speed here is very low, and I wouldn't mind trying it on my laptop also?

Actually I might even take it down to Watford with me (where he lives) to benefit from a much higher connection speed!

The download size is around 2.8gb.

Thanks Andi!

The Windows10InsiderPreview.exe is tiny and just enables you to download Windows 10 through Windows Update.

After running that and rebooting you will get Windows 10 appear in Windows Update, and that download is between 2.8GB and about 3.1GB depending on which version of Windows and if its 32bit or 64bit.

Thanks guys... Replies much appreciated! :)

That all makes sense now, but I think I will wait until I can take advantage of a faster connection, as it would take far too long on our miserable 2 Mb/s download speed here!

EDIT: Another quick question on Windows activation codes... a lot of these are now incorporated directly into the BIOS these days, rather than printed on a label stuck onto the PC, although they can always be found by using something like the excellent Windows OEM Product Key Tool from NeoSmart Technologies.

So far as we know, will the same key still 'work' with Windows 10, once it has been released, should the user wish to install it from an ISO file, on the same PC?

Can't see why it shouldn't, but I would like to be 100% sure first!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom