Windows 10

If someone was running win 8 then yes. But win 8.1 was more of a SP1. But you had to pay for 8.1 Pro lmfao.

The hell are you on about? 8.1 was free to anyone on 8. They stopped selling copies of 8 and sold copies of 8.1 in its stead to ensure people buying new licenses would be getting the most up to date version.

What is it that you're not understanding here?

We’re suspending the availability of Windows 10 builds briefly while we prepare for that, and the next build that we flight to you will be delivered using the production channels. Starting tomorrow, we will also not be delivering any additional ISOs at this point as we really need Insiders to be using, stressing, and validating our distribution and upgrade processes. We’ll make ISOs available again in the future, but for now we ask you to upgrade your current build via Windows Update once the next build is released.

Specifically, this means that in the next 24hrs:

Builds 10162 and 10166 will no longer be offered over Windows Update, and whatever build you’re on will show as “up to date” if you check for new builds.
ISOs for build 10162 will be taken down from the http://insider.windows.com site and prerelease keys will no longer activate builds.

The hell are you on about? 8.1 was free to anyone on 8. They stopped selling copies of 8 and sold copies of 8.1 in its stead to ensure people buying new licenses would be getting the most up to date version.

What is it that you're not understanding here?

I posted

Originally Posted by deuse View Post
Win 8 and 8.1 haven't sold. Hence Win 10 give away.

Skeeter came back with.

Windows 8.1 was free too. It seems most people have forgotten that.

Then I posted

If someone was running win 8 then yes. But win 8.1 was more of a SP1. But you had to pay for 8.1 Pro lmfao.

I think you've misread it.

Microsoft consider 8.1 to be a totally separate OS to 8, not a Service Pack.

You could go from Vista or 7 to 8 for £25.
Then from 8 to 8.1 for £0
Now you can go from 7 or 8.1 to 10 for £0

Selling upgrades for cheap/free is not a new thing, its a practice they have been doing since the release of 8.

Ms would save millions having a single OS to service and work on, its better for everyone involved, that's one of they key reasons for a change in model.

They won't please everyone, but this move is fantastic in both short and long term.

Microsoft consider 8.1 to be a totally separate OS to 8, not a Service Pack.

You could go from Vista or 7 to 8 for £25.
Then from 8 to 8.1 for £0
Now you can go from 7 or 8.1 to 10 for £0

Selling upgrades for cheap/free is not a new thing, its a practice they have been doing since the release of 8.
I got some of my copies of 8.1 for £15

We’re suspending the availability of Windows 10 builds briefly while we prepare for that, and the next build that we flight to you will be delivered using the production channels. Starting tomorrow, we will also not be delivering any additional ISOs at this point as we really need Insiders to be using, stressing, and validating our distribution and upgrade processes. We’ll make ISOs available again in the future, but for now we ask you to upgrade your current build via Windows Update once the next build is released.

Specifically, this means that in the next 24hrs:

Builds 10162 and 10166 will no longer be offered over Windows Update, and whatever build you’re on will show as “up to date” if you check for new builds.
ISOs for build 10162 will be taken down from the http://insider.windows.com site and prerelease keys will no longer activate builds.

I assume that this is an official quote?

If so, what is the position for someone who joins the 'Insider Club' tomorrow, and wants to update their existing Windows 8.1 to a 10 preview version?

Will they still be able to do so OK?

If so presumably via the 'Windows Update' path, as it does say that they still want users to test the upgrade processes?

(Four questions... sorry!)

Last edited:

I disagree. 8.1 was a feature release. A service pack combines previously released updates that make Windows more reliable. Service packs may include security and performance improvements and support for new types of hardware.

The one off that was XP SP2 appears to have obliterated the proper definition of a service pack in most peoples mind.

I assume that this is an official quote?

If so, what is the position for someone who joins the 'Insider Club' tomorrow, and wants to update their existing Windows 8.1 to a 10 preview version?

Will they still be able to do so OK?

If so presumably via the 'Windows Update' path, as it does say that they still want users to test the upgrade processes?

(Four questions... sorry!)

If its an official quote (I've no idea will bulldog any more) then the Windows Update route will still work yes. What they are removing is ISOs and the ability to activate them, so from tomorrow you will not be able to clean install 10 Preview, but you can use the Windows Update route on a 7 or 8.1 install.

I disagree. 8.1 was a feature release. A service pack combines previously released updates that make Windows more reliable. Service packs may include security and performance improvements and support for new types of hardware.

The one off that was XP SP2 appears to have obliterated the proper definition of a service pack in most peoples mind.

Legally and in terms of licensing 8.1 is a totally separate OS to 8. They are as (un)connected as 7 and 8.

Its a bit odd that offering a free upgrade from a x to x.1 was so universally accepted by everyone, yet going from x to y has caused massive hoo ha. Funny how the human mind works sometimes.

If its an official quote (I've no idea will bulldog any more) then the Windows Update route will still work yes. What they are removing is ISOs and the ability to activate them, so from tomorrow you will not be able to clean install 10 Preview, but you can use the Windows Update route on a 7 or 8.1 install.

That sounds fine then... I had considered going down the clean install route, but will try the Windows Update route for now, and then do a completely new installation early in August, once the official Windows 10 ISO's are available.

(As I mentioned before, this is for my son's laptop, and not mine!)

Are you not going to explain your issue with having to pay for 8.1?

Oh for the love of a pixy god. I never said I had any issues with paying for 8.1.

But just for you as you're to lazy to read.

Hmmm most people know better then MS will ever know\learn.

Windows 98 sec. Peoples reaction=Hooray
Windows ME...... Peoples reaction=WTF

Windows XP.......Peoples reaction =Hooray
Windows Vista... Peoples reaction..=WTF

Windows 7.........Peoples reaction =Hooray-Epic
Windows 8.........Peoples reaction ..=WTF
Windows 8.1......Peoples reaction ..=Not sure if serous\WTF\Fail

See a pattern here people
Now MS have copied apple and they are so worried that they're giving it away lol.

Win 8 and 8.1 haven't sold. Hence Win 10 give away. Win 7 still has 60% of market share.
Windows 8 is\was 2.9% and 8.1 is 13.2%

MS will never learn.

Now do you get it? You misread it. As I've said read the posts from this morn.
And MS think they have problems :D

You had to pay to upgrade from 8 Pro to 8.1 Pro?

OMFG another one.

It was an answer to someone else saying that if you have win 8 then 8.1 was free. BUT to upgrade to 8.1 pro wasn't.

Going for a lay down.

Back
Top Bottom