Windows 10

Soldato
how stable is this? I have had a play in a virtual machine and really like it. But accessing it over a vhdx on a mechanical drive is SOOOO much slower than my Win8 on an SSD.

Not used for work, just home use, a lot of skype video calls and a bit of gaming.

Soldato
how stable is this? I have had a play in a virtual machine and really like it. But accessing it over a vhdx on a mechanical drive is SOOOO much slower than my Win8 on an SSD.

Not used for work, just home use, a lot of skype video calls and a bit of gaming.

its not stable.
it can fry your computer if your unlucky no user OS should use it.
it might be stable now and then they update it and you go, what happened?

Caporegime
So I've had a play. It is litterally Windows 8 with a Start Menu. This is both good and bad.

Good, because its what people have been saying they wanted since the first images of W8 appeared.

But Bad because, well, its a whole new OS, so will be priced as such, whereas I can't see anything in the visuals and usability that couldn't just be added in a service patch? All we want is the Start Menu!

Man of Honour
OP
It isn't the final release though.
Non of the consumer side is in which will be announced at build 2015.
Then we are expecting Cortana.

Continuum isn't implemented diet but coming etc.

Basically this version is literally testing the UI and features will be added over the next year.

Caporegime
Is there a way to get rid of that stupid Bing search button thing?

Also I really hope they employ an actual designer to do the icons before this ships.

Soldato
its not stable.

FUD much? Running a beta OS will not fry my PC. It wont be 100% stable, it will have some weird and wonderful bugs. But it isn't going to fry anything. It is a new iteration of an already stable kernel, just how bad can it be?

It's not a PC for work, its my overpriced internet machine. I don't mind a buggy OS when I know it will be buggy. I am just after a rough idea of how buggy.

Are you seriously saying that running a VM on a mechanical drive is slower then running Windows 8 natively on a SSD?

I'm not complaining, I expected it. It is just a fact. For a play around it is fine, for general use, it's just not fast enough for me.

Soldato
its not stable.

Oh lawd.

e4d61fb69bd020315fbc32485ec6278a_zps86f146c9.jpg

Soldato
FUD much? Running a beta OS will not fry my PC. It wont be 100% stable, it will have some weird and wonderful bugs. But it isn't going to fry anything. It is a new iteration of an already stable kernel, just how bad can it be?

It's not a PC for work, its my overpriced internet machine. I don't mind a buggy OS when I know it will be buggy. I am just after a rough idea of how buggy.

I'm not complaining, I expected it. It is just a fact. For a play around it is fine, for general use, it's just not fast enough for me.

I think being a preview users should use it with caution anyway if they really want to use it,take me for example on my old basic backup PC which installed beta of Win8 and even final of Win8 and also various Linux distros with no issues over the years,but trying Win10 preview as a clean install various times(over five clean install attempts) with two different DVDs resulting in freezes ,lockups etc around first reboot after installation to the point where I had to throw in the towel and say its not ready for my backup PC yet,I installed Linux back on that PC with no problem.

Remember it's a preview build so bugs/issues to be expected,its far from the final build so treat it as such.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It is a beta release, but i have no problems with stability or blue screens. Hopefully they can do frequent updates that make big changes and add loads of features. There is a lot of ideas in the feedback section that would be good, will be interesting to see if they read any of it and get their lazy devs to add any.

Soldato
Anyone installing windows 10 at the moment should read the terms before using it for anything other than testing.

Permission to Keylog (windows 10 privacy policy)
If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spell check features,
Personal Data Collection
When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks

Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage

Permabanned
You think that does not happen in windows 8? what about windows 7?

It is difficult because they could just as easily export file lists of all your hard drives.

I didn't link it to a ms account. I don't use a real name anywhere. It still sucks that they monitor all your applications usage. Will some body be looking through all the applications lists though?

Last edited:
Soldato
You think that does not happen in windows 8? what about windows 7?

It is difficult because they could just as easily export file lists of all your hard drives.

I didn't link it to a ms account. I don't use a real name anywhere. It still sucks that they monitor all your applications usage. Will some body be looking through all the applications lists though?
I'd hope they don't have active keyloggers on any of their released operating systems :eek: :confused:

Soldato
Things i don't like about Windows 10 preview.

1.Still have to use a Windows live account,Cant use a Local account straight away..i know you can create a local after but its a lot of faff if you don't want to use your Live account.

2.Swipe screen before the login,Its still there..this to me is just another useless thing.

3.No "Classic theme".

What i do like
1)That its took me straight to the Desktop,No silly Metro

2)Start menu is "somewhat" back,much better.

Other than that,Doesn't seem all that much different from Windows 8.1,Will be interesting to see what they do further to Windows 10.

Soldato
It's only for the preview, data / feedback collection will not be in the final release. Take off your tin foil hats :p

I never even had to register an email or anything on my fresh install of Windows 10 Preview..

Thing I like about Windows 10.

It's like Windows 8 minus the things I didn't like.

It's faster.

Everything just works.

Snap is much improved with intelligent windows that meet up with other window borders without having to resize.

It boots up incredibly fast, even from a cold boot.

Thing I don't like about Windows 10.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom