Windows 10

Associate
Im thinking of installing this as my main OS, any thoughts on that? anyone had any serious problems? i can always go back to windows 8 no problems...and ofc backup my stuff

Associate
Im thinking of installing this as my main OS, any thoughts on that? anyone had any serious problems? i can always go back to windows 8 no problems...and ofc backup my stuff

This for me too. Got new CPU/Mobo coming tomorrow was thinking of putting W10 on instead of bothering reinstalling windows 8.1.

Soldato

That's what I've done, no problems here but then it's not been 24 hours yet...

I'd recommend it though, seems stable from everyone's comments in here.

As a side note - does anyone know if there are 'perks' to taking part in the insider program when Windows 10 is officially launched?

Man of Honour
OP
I doubt it and I don't know why people don't want to it's basically nothing anyway. You don't get spam emails or anything else.

Soldato
All nice and stable here :)
Only been 6 days but so far so good.

Only problem i had was that Kaspersky wouldn't install as it said it wasn't compatible with my os.

Games have been running fine using latest drivers (blackops2 mainly and ghosts)

Soldato
Im just imaging my Dell Venue Pro then going to update to 10. If I update it (ie not use ISO) all drivers (e.g touch) should stay shouldn't they?

Is that a Venue 8 Pro, if so how did it go?
Thinking of doing mine, was it just a simple upgrade from 8 or did you image from scratch?
No driver issues?
>
ta :D

Associate
well ive got windows 10 now running on my laptop, and the only problem i have found so far is that when i plug the hdmi cable to show my laptop on the tv, the sound doesnt work on the tv, only comes from the laptop, didnt have this with 8.1. and i have checked all the sound devices

Associate
Is that a Venue 8 Pro, if so how did it go?
Thinking of doing mine, was it just a simple upgrade from 8 or did you image from scratch?
No driver issues?
>
ta :D

Well I couldnt get the upgrade bit to work. It sort of worked once but then rolled itself back. So I used ISO and formatted. Install went fine. Needed to use a usb thumbstick and a hub so I could use a mouse to install touchscreen drivers from said stick but that was the only "tricky" bit rest went as expected.

I wouldnt bother though the tech preview is not ready for touch only devices. Things such as apps opening in full screen mode arent included I quickly went back to my image of windows 8.

Soldato
I stuck the tech preview on a vhd vdisk so I don't have to touch my existing installation. I can now dual boot with the vhd. When im done, i just detach the vdisk and delete the file from my HDD. I think its the best way to test new OS's without needing to repartition, or destroy your existing installation.

Soldato
The installer is asking for drivers and can't identify and of the hard drives. Something I missed?

edit - I'm going to try the update route.

Had this problem and did a SHA-1 check on the downloaded ISO and found it didn't match.

I'm re-downloading now...

edit: re-downloading and reburning sorted it.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Great topic on top of this page and thanks for link boom was not aware MS were collecting keystrokes under windows 10 preview.

It will be interesting to learn their privacy agreement when the final version is out.

We have always had concerns and worries about Windows users being given up to the law by Microsoft but no real cases or proof I think has ever hit the web and as Microsoft once said if they did really monitor and invade ones privacy they would loose their entire customer base overnight.

Perhaps for the preview while bug testing they are taking as much data from us as possible which in some ways is important to building a good stable o/s including keystrokes which may cause the error.

Still if you are concerned about anything of the above don't use Windows 10 preview perhaps, or examine security and privacy methods ie password protect your data etc

Back
Top Bottom