Windows 10

Soldato
It's a preview, the logging is covered in the terms and conditions, why are people going on about it like it's some sort of conspiracy...

This is likely one of the reasons why Microsoft insists that Windows Technical Preview not be installed on computers that are used every day.

I agree, it just gives feed back. It just goes to show, how people download and install software, without really knowing much about it.
I'm in the process of d/loading the ISO file now, this will then be installed on a separate partition, just so I can have a play in my spare time.
Don't have time to read through all the pages in this thread, but what is the general consensus, any noted or standout improvements compared to Windows 8.1?

Permabanned
Windows 10 chkdsk broke the file system on one my hds but i found this useful application that allows for the data to be copied off the hidden partition

its called Testdisk 7.0. I don't see why it has to chkdsk i don't think there is anything wrong with the disk.

Soldato
Soldato
I've heard a rumour that a lot of legacy code references windows 9# - e.g. To catch windows 95 and windows 98, so they skipped version 9 and went straight to 10

But it is just a rumour!

Soldato
I've heard a rumour that a lot of legacy code references windows 9# - e.g. To catch windows 95 and windows 98, so they skipped version 9 and went straight to 10

But it is just a rumour!

Personally might of been easier just to give it a name and drop the numbers.

Soldato
Anyone tried it yet on a domain, seems like it has the same 'issue' with the apps only installed under a single username. We have over a hundred different users on our pupil laptops and I would like to be able to install an app that was available for everyone.

Associate
Yep, trusty ole MS. Microsoft may collect those typed characters. Why? So that the company can fine-tune the spell check and auto-complete features. Uh ya, sure.

Whether they do or don't doesn't matter to us, it is a technical preview that they said in the conference is for "professionals" and to "help them tweak the OS and add new features before release". So essentially this is and was never meant for anyone to use it on their main machine, they even said that several times.

Even in the EULA it mentions that it will be taking all of this data from the machine including whatever you are doing on it so I don't see why people have been using it as their main OS already.

When the release candidates appear then I would imagine that these key loggers and more would have been either removed or disabled.

Permabanned
I have installed it on a domain at work. Disabled UAC, can't even install an msi file. I like windows 10 but I hate it at the same time. Makes me realize just how much little tweaks i did to windows 7 that are now lacking in windows 10.

To prevent any more SATA disks from failing, these are the services/scheduled tasks that i have disabled.

Defrag disabled service, disabled scheduled task
chkdsk disabled scheduled task.
diskcleanup scheduled task, disable
diskdiagnostic scheduled task, disable
diskfootprint scheduled task, disable
windowsdefender, disable service and disable scheduled task

I also tweaked the registry to prevent auto chkdsk on start up. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute
multi_sz autocheck autochk /k:C /k:D /k:E /k:F /k:G /k:I /k:J

Although £100 out of pocket, now hear no disk activity for the first time since moving to wnidows 10.

Oh also disable window search service to prevent pointless indexing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom