Windows 10

Soldato
granted i only have 2 hours of on hands time with windows 10 but during this time i didnt see anything i really liked that win 8.1 didnt already offer(outside of quad snap but i only see that truly useful on big 21:9 3440x1440 monitors), couldnt care less for the start menu (im use to 8.1 and everything i need is on my taskbar or right click menu). It makes me crazy how when you select "file explorer" that it gives you a big windows with your favorites instead of your drives!!! I have the left side panel for my favorites! I'll most likely check it out again once it reaches release or close to release.

Associate
I actually liked windows 8, had a few disappointing features like no start button etc but you get used to it and I ended up getting pokki (pretty much a start button) so am just hoping for better things with new Windows and will be happy with the features that get added as I was a fan of windows 8!

Permabanned
Ok thanks for that, turned off app notifications, will have to see if that turns off the volume osd.

It will be interesting to see how much of the windows feedback ms is actually reading and doing anything about. Hopefully the next release is a big step up and incorporates a lot of the points raised in the windows feedback.

Soldato
Personally might of been easier just to give it a name and drop the numbers.

I don't think they can - a lot of software uses the version number to install (i.e. install on =>6.1)

It's used a lot on SCCM 2012 when you're doing software deployments, etc.

M.

Caporegime
ME, XP, Vista, all had numbers under the hood. Windows 10 will be NT 6.4. Windows 10 is just the name. I'm still of the view they should call it Windows One. Its actually the only genuine use they have for 'One' as its unifying Phone, Tablet and PC OS's.

Man of Honour
OP
Is it me or has there been zero updates, I would have expected a steady steam of updates. Especially with apps and other easy to fox things. With all the feedback they are getting.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Is it me or has there been zero updates, I would have expected a steady steam of updates. Especially with apps and other easy to fox things. With all the feedback they are getting.

So far I've had KB3001512, KB3001237, KB3000061 and KB2987107 through Windows Update. Plus Defender definition updates. So, not exactly flying in but not quite zero.

Man of Honour
OP
Other than defender only have 1512 and it's saying upto date.
And the three I'm missing are only security updates anyway rather than bugs/improvements.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had it on an original Surface Pro, and ended up going back to 8.1. The current preview (assuming it hasn't been updated since release) runs everything on the desktop, which doesn't work any better with touch then 8.1. If you switch an app to full screen and then switch programs, it'll revert to windowed. If you tap on a textbox the keyboard doesn't open automatically. You have to use the desktop snap view rather than Modern UI snap. The touch targets are generally too small.

If you already just use the desktop it'll probably be fine, but if you use Modern UI then stick with 8.1 IMO.

(Or just install 10 in a VM first, should run quickly enough to evaluate it).

Caporegime
Did you miss the "use start menu instead of start screen" option in the start menu settings? Unticking it basically turns it back into W8, with the full screen modern UI.

Admittedly it should be the first option you chose when you first install, in big flashing letters, rather than hidden away in the options.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did try that but it had no effect on anything bar the start menu/screen, but that could have been a bug they've since fixed.

Back
Top Bottom