Windows 10

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been covered already. I registered on the insider programme last year and tested a couple of the early builds, but then went back to running 8.1 on both my computers.

Will I still get 10 RTM as an insider tomorrow or would I have had to have been running a preview build?

I also have a couple of unused Windows 7 and 8.1 keys, would I be able to ‘upgrade’ these keys to Windows 10 in case I need to use them in the future?

Cheers.

So once you have upgraded to Win10 through the windows upgrade you will be able to preform a fresh install after?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/microsoft-...-free-upgrade-no-product-key-required-1504362

Yes. Its tied to youre account so once you upgrade,get the iso/usb bootdrive and clean install. If I understand it right theres no key anymore just a sign in?

What has me concerned there is,I have both a PC and a SP3 both with 8.1 on it and both use the same sign in details. Not sure how that will work if im correct

So once you have upgraded to Win10 through the windows upgrade you will be able to preform a fresh install after?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/microsoft-...-free-upgrade-no-product-key-required-1504362

It says that once you have upgraded, when you do a clean install it will not need a key. How is this going to work? Will it somehow recognise your machine? What happens if you upgrade the cpu or graphics card. When would it stop recognising your pc as being the same one that the license is attached to?

It says that once you have upgraded, when you do a clean install it will not need a key. How is this going to work? Will it somehow recognise your machine? What happens if you upgrade the cpu or graphics card. When would it stop recognising your pc as being the same one that the license is attached to?

It's tied to your Microsoft account and your PC. If you do a fresh install from the ISO it will check your PC and log in using your Microsoft account. If these match then no key will be required.

I imagine if you upgrade you will need to do a telephone upgrade a bit like Win 8..

not too sure if this has changed but the upgrade is for the life of the PC. if you upgrade the mobo and cpu its classed as a new system so I would do any hardware upgrades first before upgrading to 10

Anyone tried running the setup.exe from within the downloaded $Windows.~BT folder ?

The version of the downloaded update files is "10.0.10240.16384.0|9|en-GB"

Last edited:
not too sure if this has changed but the upgrade is for the life of the PC. if you upgrade the mobo and cpu its classed as a new system so I would do any hardware upgrades first before upgrading to 10

What happens to retail versions of pervious installations? I have reinstalled my retail Win7 many times due to hardware changes, when I upgrade will I loose this ability? Also will I be able to, if I do not like Win10, downgrade to Win7 again afterwards by using my Win7 key?

Back
Top Bottom