Windows 10

Windows 10 RTM has been working really well for me over the last couple of weeks but one little problem I have not worked out yet is when I click the 'shut down' button it attempts to do so but then returns to the desktop after a few seconds or so.

I can select restart and it does it thing fine, but shut down does not seem to work right.

Anybody know why this happens and what the cure is?

So I've applied for the free upgrade on a few machines.. Will I get a key for each one? How does it work?

It uses your old key and will take a machine id when you upgrade. so no, no new key.

lol is it even going live at midnight? I can imagine it will just start slowly rolling out over the next few days.

Probably not midnight, but people who reserved a copy it should have downloaded the files over the last few days, to try and prevent servers from crashing on release day.

Perfect, exactly the answer was looking for. I registered ages ago but never bothered to upgrade at the time due to reports of how buggy it was.

Now I really need to do an OS reinstall so wanted to go this route rather than stick 8.1 on and have to do the fresh install shortly after.

Will probably do the upgrade tonight ready :)

EDIT: just tried the installer for the RTM build to take a look and asks for a product key, would i simply enter my 8.1 key here?

I just ignored it, you can click skip if I remember correctly? I didn't enter a key once.

so will windows 10 have a usb fresh install link ?

im sure they will have a tool like they do for 8.1 and 7 which downloads the iso or allows you to make a USB srick

can confirm I have list 7-8GB of space on my OS SSD. im looking forward to the update which makes a change from previous os's

Found this guide from MS on how to hide or block windows update- drivers.

http://microsoft-news.com/how-to-hide-or-block-windows-updates-or-driver-updates-in-windows-10/

So you have to wait until a driver breaks something before you can block it from updating over and over? What happens when the next driver arrives, you have to go through that again?

I'm personally going to try and use the method that re-enables the "choose what updates to install and download" system.

Windows 10 RTM has been working really well for me over the last couple of weeks but one little problem I have not worked out yet is when I click the 'shut down' button it attempts to do so but then returns to the desktop after a few seconds or so.

I can select restart and it does it thing fine, but shut down does not seem to work right.

Anybody know why this happens and what the cure is?

Anyone?

:(

Back
Top Bottom