Windows 10

Associate
Downloading now and ganna run in VM player.

I think they've got the right idea with Windows 10. Operating systems need to move forward but they also need to conform to HCI in a way the Microsoft have been teaching people for what, nearly 20 years with the start menu?

It's not really a problem for a lot of us in the industry, but the market is built for the casual/business user.

Caporegime
I did try that but it had no effect on anything bar the start menu/screen, but that could have been a bug they've since fixed.

Oh yeah, how odd. I just tested it and using the Start Screen doesn't make the menu or the apps full screen like in Windows 8.

That seems like a really odd choice. Windows 8 was a tablet interface that didn't work on PCs, and Windows 10 has now broken it so it works on PCs but not on tablets?!

I don't get why they are making it so complicated. There just needs to a big toggle button that says Tablet or PC, and it turns on the full screen tablet OS, or turns on the windowed desktop environment.

Associate
I understood that the OS was supposed to configure itself to the device it is running on so that where no touch screen is detected is starts with a desktop/ That said, I thought only the PC version had so far been released meaning that it probably doesn't understand the tablet in its current form.

Man of Honour
OP
It's just totally bugged. Hot corners etc don't work even if you enable them.

They have said a new version is coming very soon, hopefully fix some of these basic issues.
Apps should just remember if you want them full screen or not.

Caporegime
Maybe its like prescott said and only the desktop stuff is available in this early preview? After all, it is us desktop folk that they are trying to win back :)

Soldato
OK this is an interesting one.... last night I swapped my old motherboard cpu and ram over for new kit, with the intention of doing a fresh install again

However when I booted the PC it took longer than usual and the Windows start up screen presented me with a "Setting up devices" message along with a percentage - once complete it booted into Windows fine and didn't throw any form of error

I've run various tests and everything seems to be running perfectly fine and as I would expect with a new install.

Should it do this? If so, I have to say I'm quite impressed. I think I'll still do a fresh install at some point as this was always my plan, but if people didn't want to then this could be quite a clever feature!

Associate
OK this is an interesting one.... last night I swapped my old motherboard cpu and ram over for new kit, with the intention of doing a fresh install again

However when I booted the PC it took longer than usual and the Windows start up screen presented me with a "Setting up devices" message along with a percentage - once complete it booted into Windows fine and didn't throw any form of error

I've run various tests and everything seems to be running perfectly fine and as I would expect with a new install.

Should it do this? If so, I have to say I'm quite impressed. I think I'll still do a fresh install at some point as this was always my plan, but if people didn't want to then this could be quite a clever feature!
I did this on windows 8 a few weeks ago same screen and everything worked perfectly afterwards, I was impressed as I had moved AMD -> intel aswell.

Soldato

If it's working fine just keep on using it. If you start getting random niggly issues then do the reinstall, but there's no point wasting time setting it up again if there's no need. I assume general and gaming performance is roughly where you'd expect it to be?

Associate
Switched over main rig to this last night as a little test, knowing I will get new gear soon and do a full rebuild using win7.

So far, not working for me:
- Aquasuite (when I click on any fan it crashes. also doesn't pull through values from RivaTuner, though that could be a separate issue with RT itself)
- ToastyX pixel clock patcher (Full for SLI - can't push past 61hz :( I also installed new driver version so could be that. It doesn't find second SLI limit)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm liking it. :) Don't really have much else to say - love Win 7, hated Win 8 (without Classicshell), but it seems like MS have listened for 10... good on them. Just building a new PC so hope the upgrade from 8.1 is free/VERY cheap.

Associate
Apart from networking - and browsers giving up on websites - I have not had any problems. The OS is very stable and runs everything I've tried including Steam games. (I never could get Windows 8.1 to run Steam properly!) I didn't even have to install any drivers even for my scanner and networked printer.

As long as they improve networking I will be very happy

Man of Honour
OP
Most of the changes in this build will be invisible to you, but we’ve made nearly 7,000 improvements and fixes to the product between 9841 and 9860. Many of those fixes were based on problem reports that you submitted in the Community forum or through the Windows Feedback app. Thanks! We also have a few visible changes that you’ll notice.

We are getting a taste of the new Action Center for Windows PCs. This means the Action Center in Windows Phone is now in Windows 10. Only basic notifications are enabled for now, with quick actions and a cleaner interface coming late

Other new features in Windows 10 build 9860 include the ability to move apps easily from one monitor to another, and animations for switching desktops. "One of the pieces of feedback that you gave us was that it was hard to know when you were switching desktops. We addressed your feedback by adding an animation to make it clear that you are switching,"

Microsoft warned however that the new build does includes some problems: the search index won't be available immediately, because it needs time to rebuild and for OneDrive to sync, and the UI design has gone “backwards” temporarily. It's harder to join a Wi-Fi network, for instance, and the interface looks more rough (especially Internet Explorer glyphs, among other things).

And finally, Microsoft has launched an option that allows you to choose how often you receive new builds. You can now select between slow and fast settings. Such a setup could allow you to get updates with fewer or more bugs, depending on how often you receive build updates.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Continuum is mire dynamic changing for 2 in one devices like surface. Rather than metro.

And no hot corners still aren't working.

Theres an additional beta PC settings called zPC Setting
So many more options which makes it much easier to find stuff.
Also shows something's that will be coming. Like wp8 built in apps. Like Data Sense, storage sense, battery sense and setting option for maps, so can only assume bing or Nokia maps will be in built with downloadable maps like wp8. Basically all settings from wp8 will be included by the looks of it.

Last edited:
Associate
The new build is now available for download, goto > PC settings > Update and recovery > Preview builds and get build 9860.

Nice. I'll update tonight.

In case anyone is following this, installing the monitor driver didn't actually fix the issue with ToastyX. I used an older nVidia driver and was able to find both SLI limits and patch them, but nV control still won't allow me to crate custom resolutions with a high clock. I'll be trying a few more things with this later.

Back
Top Bottom