1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Glaucus, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Simon Belmont

Mobster

I received that update as well on my 1809 and it’s good so far

2. Elevon

Mobster

Not done my laptop yet, too busy doing other things, but yes some people will get problems which is usual. I remember recommending SP3 for WinXP , it installed fine on my PC back then, however a friend tried it did on her PC and it messed it up big time, to be honest there will always be some users out there that will have issues, impossible to have 100% smooth updates world wide, bit of pot luck sometimes. I do agree Microsoft should do more testing rather then rushing out updates ASAP. They should keep update disruptions to a minimum, but what is minimum nowadays?

All you can do is have all your important stuff backed up at all times like I do and latest copy of your OS ready on USB etc like I have for fresh install if ever needed.

3. wesley

Soldato

dont worry guys. athlon XP will come here and tell us how to install/upgrade properly :D

by the way where is he? he havent post here for a while.....not surprisingly

4. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Hes still recovering his files.

5. Dirk

Wise Guy

6. Simon Belmont

Mobster

7. willhub

Capodecina

I updated the cumulative last night, still on my PC now? eh?

8. Dirk

Wise Guy

They can't forcibly uninstall it from your PC if you already installed it. The update has been pulled from the Windows Update Servers so that nobody else can install it.

9. AthlonXP1800

Wise Guy

[​IMG] I am still here!

10. AthlonXP1800

Wise Guy

Haha very funny.

No files missing on all of my devices after upgraded to 1809.

11. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

damm two of my windows machines still thinks 1803 is the latest update.....

12. Dirk

Wise Guy

Yes, because 1809 was pulled from Windows Update. Only Insiders have it through WU currently.

13. Rroff

Man of Honour

Well that was fun - needed to "quickly" throw Visual Studio on one of my tablets for something... only Windows 10 decides to launch a cumulative update at the same time meaning they were fighting each other for resources making everything take way long than it should :s so in the end I ended up lugging out my older Windows 7 laptop that had it on already.

I'm sorry but does no one at MS actually use the retail version of Windows 10 in the real world?

14. Mel_P

Wise Guy

Apparently the initial 1809 was only an issue if you had moved the default location of system files like documents or downloads by redirecting windows. If you have a standard installation there shouldn't have been an issue.

15. marc2003

Capodecina

Screen just went black for a few seconds and thought my display driver had crashed but nope, it's just windows update re-installing the version I already had installed previously. Genius. :rolleyes:

edit: of course the irony of this is that I'm choosing to use drivers from windows update as the latest ones from AMD completely break video/TV playback and at least these actually work (so far... :p)

16. AthlonXP1800

Wise Guy

17. willhub

Capodecina

I have my documents, downloads and pictures redirected to my D: drive and don't seem to have lost anything.

18. Dirk

Wise Guy

What do you mean 'redirected'? Why not just create folders on D: called 'Documents', 'Downloads' and 'Pictures and then add those to Quick Access or create shortcuts to them on the Taskbar/Desktop? I have all user data like this on D: too and haven't even been in my C:\Users\<Username> folder.

Redirecting sounds like what we used to do when we had a proper Start Menu, so that the links to User Folders went elsewhere.

19. willhub

Capodecina

Windows still has the documents, downloads and pictures folders. And the start menu does have links, so I direct them to the folders on my D: drivr

20. darael

Mobster

I also have my personal files (documents, pictures, etc) on the D: drive. So when it comes to installing 1809, I will probably be slightly worried - but I'll be making a backup beforehand, especially now I know that I may have a problem.

Is the updated and fixed 1809 released yet, or is it still only available on the insider ring?