Windows 10

V F

V F

Soldato
Microsoft need to stop cheaping out on testing and stop imposing more and more junk on us with each forced update.

They tell us we need these updates for security reasons. But each update seems to come with more and more bloat that bogs down computers. It's becoming harder and harder to see a reason to update other than for security.

By making people paranoid? It seems to work.

Associate
Certainly things are better now from a malware perspective. I remember the bad old days of installs being hosed by conficker and the like, the second you connected to the Internet. Before you could even get your Norton definitions up to date. It was a race to see if you could get antivirus updated before some random nasty hosed your install all over again!

Forcing updates on a public that refused to do them has had a positive impact. Think of it like 'herd immunity'. These 'feature' updates need to be seperated out from Security updates though and the user should have more control over those. Sure, keep forcing the security updates out. It's better for everybody. Install them quietly in the background for all i care. But i want to choose when or if to install the feature updates. (Service Packs by any other name)

Man of Honour
Certainly things are better now from a malware perspective. I remember the bad old days of installs being hosed by conficker and the like, the second you connected to the Internet. Before you could even get your Norton definitions up to date. It was a race to see if you could get antivirus updated before some random nasty hosed your install all over again!

Forcing updates on a public that refused to do them has had a positive impact. Think of it like 'herd immunity'. These 'feature' updates need to be seperated out from Security updates though and the user should have more control over those. Sure, keep forcing the security updates out. It's better for everybody. Install them quietly in the background for all i care. But i want to choose when or if to install the feature updates. (Service Packs by any other name)

I'm honestly not seeing an improvement overall in the security picture - only a few month ago MS's malware protection engine was responsible for infecting people even - which seems to have mostly been swept under a rug.

I completely agree security updates need separating out from feature updates if they are serious about security as they claim - the implementation for security updates could be done so much better (especially when it comes to managing and applying out of band updates) - it should be possible to apply them before you are even booted to the desktop if a major new vulnerability/attack occurs, etc. and most people wouldn't begrudge 10-20 seconds longer boot now and again if they were side streamed at boot up.

Soldato
So does anyone know what might be the cause of the file deletion? Updated both home and work PC but no missing files. Only difference is all the documents, etc and stuff are on another drive.

I read somewhere it could be storage sense causing it?

Associate
Associate
Can anyone remember when Windows stopped using your chosen Highlight colour for context menus? Maybe more to the point...why? It's one of those things that kinda slipped by me but in the back of my mind always bugged me. It seems as time has gone on, i kept noticing that there were Grey highlights everywhere instead of my chosen Blue. It didn't occur to me that it might be deliberate, rather than a bug.

Doesn't it seem like a really weird choice? What's the point in having user selectable colours and then not using them? Also, Grey highlight on a slightly lighter Grey background? What genius thought of that?

So i did some digging. There is, or was, a nice Reg tweak that re-enable the older (Classic) style of context menu:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FlightedFeatures]

"ImmersiveContextMenu"=dword:00000000

So this work fine on 1803 and looks so much better. The only difference i can see between old and new are the smaller arrows and colourful highlights in 'Classic':

Untitled.png

Then there's this report from a Reddit user that 1809 removes the ability to use the Classic tweak:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9mh50b/please_spend_a_moment_to_upvote_this/

There are so many regressions and bugs with 1809, i can't see myself ever updating. Anyone else prefer to have their own highlight colour instead of the Grey-on-Grey?

Man of Honour
There are so many regressions and bugs with 1809, i can't see myself ever updating. Anyone else prefer to have their own highlight colour instead of the Grey-on-Grey?

Highlight colour makes more sense IMO though in Windows 7 it is quite subtle by default though you can customise it. They seriously need to get some people in strategic positions in Windows 10 development that have broad experience and vision - there is some good stuff in the OS but really let down by some truly bad, narrow minded, decisions or an appearance of lack of development focus and development is increasingly feeling fragmented and disconnected.

Soldato
Microsoft now resolved all issues with missing files on 1809 updates affected 0.0001% or about 700 people which is very small, all files were recovered. Microsoft released Windows 10 October 2018 Update Build 17763.17 (KB4467228) to the Slow and Release Preview rings contained the fixes, if it goes well with no issue then Microsoft will resume Windows 10 1809 update to public.

https://twitter.com/windowsinsider/status/1049767311358353408
https://wccftech.com/windows-10-october-2018-update-re-release-begins/
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ased-to-windows-insiders/#au8YWd0XYKvQSImK.97

Also Microsoft added a new feature to Feedback Hub enable additional detail how severity impact you experience from minor issue rate 1 to broken or unusable experience rate 5.

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/a...duces-ability-to-indicate-severity-of-issues/

This new Feedback Hub feature probably will make some people like Rroff happy.

Man of Honour
This new Feedback Hub feature probably will make some people like Rroff happy.

Only if they pay attention to it - though I can see it being abused by people tagging their mundane user error as severe out of frustration rendering it less useful than it could be as a metric.

Soldato
1Zz1SUP.png

Hmmm wow I never seen Component Package Support Server before, googled it but came up nothing so it is brand new unknown process for 1809 update.

Opened file location...

5MYfj5J.png

File name comppkgsrv.exe which I never seen before, it is brand new file for 1809 update. I googled comppkgsrv.exe but not much information about it.

Wonder what that file do and what is it for?

Soldato
I've opted out of Windows Insider Builds, have to say in terms of beta testing the insider Windows builds are most fragile compared to anything I've beta tested. I've rolled back from 18252 because my second HDD kept disappearing, this happened with a build before the October update too. Even weird is the HDD wasn't recognised in Bios, however after rolling back Windows I've not had any problems. Has anyone got any issues with Task Manager where the is "blank" tasks in there, opening the file location usually points them to SVCHOST.exe

Hitman
Soldato
Upgraded my PC to Win 10 LTSC '19 over the weekend and the laptop to it today. Very happy to have finally gotten some features which I was missing on LTSB :)

Back
Top Bottom