Windows 10

Soldato
Apparently the initial 1809 was only an issue if you had moved the default location of system files like documents or downloads by redirecting windows. If you have a standard installation there shouldn't have been an issue.

My desktop PC running Windows 10 Pro: Apps, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Videos default locations on C: 1TB SSD moved to D: 4TB SSHD.

Linux 10 tablet running Windows 10 Home: Apps, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Videos default locations on C: 32GB eMMC to moved D: 128GB MicroSD.

Meegopad T01 MiniPC stick running Windows 10 Pro: Apps, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Videos default locations on C: 32GB eMMC moved to D: 64GB MicroSD.

Dell Inspiron 17 7737 laptop running Windows 10 Home: Apps, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Videos default locations are on C: 1TB SSD.

Old Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop running Windows 10 Pro: Apps, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Videos default locations are on C: 1TB SSD.

No data loss on 5 devices desktop, Linux 10 tablet, Meegopad T01 MiniPC stick,Dell Inspiron 17 7737 laptop and Old Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop after installed Windows 10 1809 manually created iso from media creation tool.

Last edited:
Associate
I also have my personal files (documents, pictures, etc) on the D: drive. So when it comes to installing 1809, I will probably be slightly worried - but I'll be making a backup beforehand, especially now I know that I may have a problem.

Is the updated and fixed 1809 released yet, or is it still only available on the insider ring?

Insiders are testing it.

If you have your user data on a secondary drive, why are you worried about updating? I can only see it being an issue if you've done something weird like set up symlinks or something.

Why anyone would use C:\Users\<Username> for anything, or symlink those folders, is beyond me. Just because they exist doesn't mean they have to be used. You can create a folder anywhere, add it to Quick Access or create a shortcut to it anywhere else. Every Program i use has an option to set a 'Save' location or 'Download' location wherever you want. It doesn't have to be C:\Users\<Username>\Downloads. It can just as easily be D:\Downloads.

Soldato
I haven't lost any files. However I'm thinking of rolling back, maybe even re-installing from an ISO. And NEVER going Windows Insider again unless it's on a VM. Stuff just doesn't work, games bugger up and when I turn the PC on sometimes it takes ages to get on the desktop off the login screen and then just like now had to hold the power button and restart because nothing was responding. Not sure if this is 1809 related.

Associate
It's an issue when you use microsoft's own wizzard to move the folders. There's not much weird about that ...

Yeah, that's the old method i was thinking of. That is very weird. Why would anyone do that? Create your own folders on D: and leave C:\Users\<Username> to R.I.P

Soldato
giphy.gif
I am still here!

M4Mblcd

Soldato
Can anyone tell me how i can access my NAS through the Windows Network instead of through the I.P address?

On Windows 7, you can access the Drives stored inside your NAS through Windows, now on Windows 10 you can only go to the I.P webpage, any tips?

Soldato
Even private networks?

Yep. One infected machine then infects every other machine on the network via SMB 1.0 and netbios. Many companies got caught out, they had great perimeter defence, then someone brings an infected laptop from home, plugs it into the network, and everything inside the firewall gets infected. That's why MS disabled SMB 1.0 and netbios by default, and you have to turn it on yourself if you want it. It's an easy attack vector because the tech is comparatively old now.

Soldato
Yep. One infected machine then infects every other machine on the network via SMB 1.0 and netbios. Many companies got caught out, they had great perimeter defence, then someone brings an infected laptop from home, plugs it into the network, and everything inside the firewall gets infected. That's why MS disabled SMB 1.0 and netbios by default, and you have to turn it on yourself if you want it. It's an easy attack vector because the tech is comparatively old now.
so whats the alternative to sharing folders and files over a network?

Soldato
so whats the alternative to sharing folders and files over a network?

Later protocols that have had some security implemented into them such as SMB 2.0 or NFS. Netbios or SMB 1.0 give you convenience, but you pay for that with security. It's like leaving your front door unlocked so you don't have to find your keys every time you go in or out. That's why I didn't say you shouldn't use the earlier, insecure protocols, just that you should be cautious and understand that they are insecure (which is why they come disabled) before you use them.

Back
Top Bottom