Windows 10

Soldato
I don't know if it was something to do with the update but after updating I could no longer access my NAS I had to go into services and enable one, SMB or something like that.

Soldato
Not quite. ;)

Microsoft nixes update deferral settings, but gives us a TargetReleaseVersionInfo - Computerworld

The company intentionally removed the “update deferral” options from the Win10 version 2004 Update Advanced options pane, ostensibly “to prevent confusion.” Riiiiight. But there’s good news: a newly documented Pro, Education and Enterprise Registry setting that circumvents the version deferral problems. And it appears to work in version 1803 onward.​

Soldato
What the actual ****!

Ive just had Edge forced onto me, just had KB4559309 come through, while i was away, came back, noticed down by the clock, i had the Windows Update icon sitting there, on about a restart, so went into my updates, to see wtf it was, and found the bugger saying something had installed, and i needed to restart, was only when id restarted, that i found it was Edge, as the bugger was opened automatically, full-screen, on my Desktop, with the big Get Started job in the middle of it, which i had to click on, before i could X the **** off! :mad:

Quickly closed, remove taskbar icon and deleted desktop shortcut and back to ignoring edge again :p

Permabanned
What the actual ****!

Ive just had Edge forced onto me, just had KB4559309 come through, while i was away, came back, noticed down by the clock, i had the Windows Update icon sitting there, on about a restart, so went into my updates, to see wtf it was, and found the bugger saying something had installed, and i needed to restart, was only when id restarted, that i found it was Edge, as the bugger was opened automatically, full-screen, on my Desktop, with the big Get Started job in the middle of it, which i had to click on, before i could X the **** off! :mad:

That's cos they knew it was yew. :p bosh take that. They going to force ya on 2004 next week you watch. hehe

Soldato
That's cos they knew it was yew. :p bosh take that. They going to force ya on 2004 next week you watch. hehe
:D

I shouldn't laugh in case it tries to impose 2004 upon my good self. :(

On another note, I cloned my current 1909 install to another SSD and used the Update Assistant to force 2004 on. I didn't have much time to test properly, but all seemed well. Be that as it may, I'm still doing a clean install of 2004 when the need arises.

Soldato
Can't you see the problem? people shouldn't be having to go through those kind of steps and it isn't like it is a one off even when it comes to Windows 10.

An OS fundamentally should enable the end user anything else is secondary MS are taking completely the wrong approach with how they deal with the end user and choices. When I boot up Windows 7 I get what I expected and can get straight onto the task at hand - with Windows 10 there are too many instances when that isn't the case for instance a few days ago (I'd recently done all latest updates and rebooted since) I wasn't feeling great and went to lie down on my sofa and fired up my media system to watch something and take my mind off how I was feeling... about 30 seconds after booting it suddenly popped up with the "Welcome to Windows" screen which I couldn't skip and had to go through a few choices at which point I could get back to the desktop but for the next ~10 minutes various OS components were busy in the background using around 70% CPU so my video was frequently stuttering and occasionally dropping to low bitrate before recovering again, etc. I never have that experience with my systems on Windows 7 ever - unfortunately the hardware for my media setup doesn't have drivers for anything older than 10 and Linux/Android isn't an option with some of its usage.

Can't you see there are solutions already?

You can turn off "Welcome to Windows" screen or skip it if you want, just click Skip for now button. you cant missed it unless you have bad eye sights.

o3sJWxO.png

I not had that screen for 3 years now since 1803 and also in Insider builds on VHD as I turned it off in Settings/Notifications & actions.

dVerqmm.png

You will need to untick Suggested ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows.

You may also want to turn off Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and occasionally when I sign in, to highlight what's new and suggested to stop Edge browser pop up with Welcome to Windows after every feature and insider build updates when you log in to desktop. But for me, I prefer to left it ticked so I can use Edge to type in address to browse internet straight away.

Something not right with your media PC system used around 70% CPU usage after 10 mins. Are your media PC on version 1909 or 2004? What CPU and RAM size do it used?

I had noticed the biggest improvement in CPU usage since Windows XP when I installed 1909 on all my devices, all 6 devices CPU usage dropped from 30%, 50% or 70% on both old Meegopad stick and Linux 10 tablet's quad core Atom CPU down to between 0% to 20% when various OS components were busy after 10 mins or opened 1 VMWare VM and many Edge/Chrome/Firefox tabs opened saw around 60% CPU usage on my 8700K before 1909 so after updated to 1909 saw CPU usage dropped to as low as 6% while memory usage at high and between 0% and 1% when desktop at idle with no apps opened. At idle before 1909 had 14% memory usage and after installed 1909 saw memory usage dropped 2% to 12%. Wow very impressive. :cool:

OdexFRx.png

fSNbdWK.png

xHw3H8U.png

STXXATf.png

When I bought second hand Acer R3 131T laptop manufactured in 2013 from ebay for £75 in 2019 came with crap 2 core Celeron 3050 CPU, 500GB HDD and 4GB RAM, I booted it first time found out it used Windows 8.1, it ran very slow with CPU usage up to 100% all the time. I also found out all drivers was very old dated back in 2013 then I updated it to Windows 10 1909 and installed new drivers from Acer website for other R3 131T model manufactured in 2017 saw CPU usage dropped to 70% and changed some drivers to microsoft drivers saw CPU usage dropped to 30%. I worked on the laptop tweaked for 2 months and added 1TB SSD, 8GB RAM and 25 games that ran fine on 2 core Celeron CPU before gave to my niece for christmas present.

I would done the same thing to fix your media PC.

While probably stuff like that is a little less of an issue if you just use one machine that is in daily use it is a horrid, horrid OS if you run multiple systems some of them which might only be used every other week or so, etc.

I have no idea what the nonsense rubbish you talk about. Windows 10 is not horrid OS when I used 6 devices. Back in November 2019 I had 1 desktop PC, Surface Pro 6 and Acer R3 131T laptop all ran everyday for 2 months until 24 December 2019 just fine with no issues. Also my sister used her Acer laptop for college work, her boyfriend used Lenovo laptop browsed internet and youtube, my niece used Acer R3 131T for school works everyday from 9am to 4pm since lockdown all ran 1909 without issues. Before the lockdown, everybody at my sister workplace at college used over 1,000 PCs all ran Windows 10 1909 on network with no issues. There are now over 1 billion Windows 10 users included Prime Minister Boris Johnson used Windows 10 daily.

Man of Honour
I not had that screen for 3 years now since 1803 and also in Insider builds on VHD as I turned it off in Settings/Notifications & actions.

A recent update has caused it re-appear for some users (not sure if everyone) a couple of other posters noted the same thing recently. The screen is slightly different to the one in your screenshot and on several of my devices there definitely 100% wasn't a skip option, though in a couple of cases there was. Not sure the rhyme or reason and whether it was intended on MS's part or a bug.

(I already have all the stuff you mentioned disabled so it should not be reappearing)

Something not right with your media PC system used around 70% CPU usage after 10 mins. Are your media PC on version 1909 or 2004? What CPU and RAM size do it used?

This is a fairly normal thing (actual utilisation will depend on PC specs) on a semi-regularly used system - less so on a regularly used system as the update stuff and other related background tasks get spread out more with frequent usage of the system.

I have no idea what the nonsense rubbish you talk about. Windows 10 is not horrid OS when I used 6 devices. Back in November 2019 I had 1 desktop PC, Surface Pro 6 and Acer R3 131T laptop all ran everyday for 2 months until 24 December 2019 just fine with no issues. Also my sister used her Acer laptop for college work, her boyfriend used Lenovo laptop browsed internet and youtube, my niece used Acer R3 131T for school works everyday from 9am to 4pm since lockdown all ran 1909 without issues. Before the lockdown, everybody at my sister workplace at college used over 1,000 PCs all ran Windows 10 1909 on network with no issues. There are now over 1 billion Windows 10 users included Prime Minister Boris Johnson used Windows 10 daily.

Even many people who were defending the OS in this thread are more critical now - so many things as can be seen over the last 2 pages where MS has dropped the ball on things they have no excuse for not getting right first time.

Numbers like that meaning nothing - I've nearly a dozen Windows 10 devices but that doesn't mean I'm happy with it - but increasingly newer hardware lacks driver support for older than 10, etc.

If you head over to the Windows 10 community forums, etc. there are 100s even 1000s of people crying out for help with all kinds of issues with Windows 10 many of which shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can't you see there are solutions already?

You can turn off "Welcome to Windows" screen or skip it if you want, just click Skip for now button. you cant missed it unless you have bad eye sights.

o3sJWxO.png

Its appearing, when you already have the 'Welcome To Windows' turned off.

Man of Honour
There are new relevant features in the more recent updates but it still isn't clear to me whether it is intended functionality the way it is appearing or not. I've also had some oddness with it where some systems it appears at boot up after certain updates whereas on others it suddenly appears randomly shortly after loading the desktop (which I think are the times the skip option isn't available).

Soldato
I hate microsoft and windows 10 so bloody god damn much,

stop rebooting my god damn computer when I'm asleep and it's busy doing stuff...... if you arent going to auto log back in and continue with the same thing it was doing.....
then I log back in and it tries to force some stupid new browser on me,.

i just wanna slap bill gates and tell him windows 10 is stupid as hell and should do as it's told

You need to disable your automatic updates,, my win10 never reboots, as it never checks for updates unless I say so.

Soldato
Is there a single command to remove the bloat? I seem to think you can use the AppX command?
Run the following commands from Powershell:
Code:
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

Back
Top Bottom