Winter 2017/2018 - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Guessing the same here - its turning to rain now and starting to look like icing sugar on the top layer - gonna take another 24 hours or so before it rises above 2C though so probably be a nasty mess for the next couple of days.

Soldato
Have not had anymore snow for two nights here in Edinburgh, hopefully the stuff that is lying will thaw in the next couple of days and deliveries can resume as I am waiting on so much stuff, from wardrobes to an Oculus Rift.

V F

V F

Soldato
Not sure what you mean there.

I was thinking of just after Christmas in 2010-2011 where the country was “covered” in snow for a couple of days.

I don’t remember anything of note in 09-10. The best winter I ever had was in around 05-06(?) when we had a week where it barely went above freezing and we had about 4-5” that lasted a week, which lookscomparable to this event.

I got 8 weeks of snow/ice both end of 09/10. I remember it well as the conifers got all badly burned from the ice. It started to recover the following year then end of 2010 another 8 weeks of it arrived and finished it off. Since it all died. Same for many neighbours.

It was -15 at some points during the night.

No snow ploughs or grit wagons came up for weeks as the grit buckets were emptied.

Soldato
The slow snow melting has begun here in SO18, the first day of positive "feels like" temps since the start of the week, our residential road is a mix of clear/ slush/ compact snow/ snow from being a complete whitewash last night.

Soldato
I got up early and dashed down to the local large supermarket to get bread and milk and a few other foodstuffs. Shelves were almost empty and the people were removing the bread before the staff managed to put it on the shelves. Not taking two or three though, only the one loaf. If I had went later there would have been none left. Supply problems for another few days yet.

Caporegime
I got up early and dashed down to the local large supermarket to get bread and milk and a few other foodstuffs. Shelves were almost empty and the people were removing the bread before the staff managed to put it on the shelves. Not taking two or three though, only the one loaf. If I had went later there would have been none left. Supply problems for another few days yet.

It’s crazy, the temp will be like 6c by Tuesday.

I bet the supermarkets are loving this though, sales must be better than Christmas.

Soldato
Foo fighters?

Nah, Electric Six :p

Made it in the end, it was great.

However, getting home was a pain. We stopped for ages on the train back due to (and I **** you not) “Icicles in Potters Bar tunnel”... Probably the best (worst) excuse I’ve ever heard from Northern Fail, made everybody laugh on the train.

Soldato

I bet the supermarkets are loving this though, sales must be better than Christmas.

I nipped into the coop yesterday, busiest I've ever seen it but seemed to still be reasonably stocked.

Tesco on the other hand was completely normal, and this is in lincolnshire too which had bad roads.

I suppose theyll only be making up for lost sales during the week when people couldnt get there

Soldato
Not if you can't get deliveries to the store. For several days now no one around us has any fresh stock of bread or milk as the lorries simply can't get to the shops. They've managed to reopen the A1 today so I guess they should be able to get stock to some of the supermarkets, but I haven't ventured out yet. Farmers were having to throw milk out as the tankers couldn't get to the farms either, so that might have a knock-on effect for a few days.

A Greggs lorry was stuck on the A1 in Northumberland and the driver was actually handing out food to other stranded motorists. https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/greggs-delivery-driver-hands-out-14356854

Soldato

Shelves may be empty, but its not necessarily due to panic buying that the news makes everyone believe, supermarket supply chains have felt the impact just like everyone else, I should know as a place I work has been cutting nearly 20'000 off daily, due to not arriving on time, other supply chains have even had to shift the workload elsewhere.

Don
Shelves may be empty, but its not necessarily due to panic buying that the news makes everyone believe, supermarket supply chains have felt the impact just like everyone else, I should know as a place I work has been cutting nearly 20'000 off daily, due to not arriving on time, other supply chains have even had to shift the workload elsewhere.
Exactly this.

I was in the local Tesco last night and there was no bread. There was also no customers, people as well as goods couldn’t get into town. Had to pick up some more stuff this morning they didn’t have last night and the place was absolutely rammed with customers finally able to get into town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom