Winter 2017/2018 - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Just went to the supermarket for a few bits. People have literally cleared the shelves of bread and milk. It's like they think the snow is the harbinger of the apocalypse!

It's just unreal, my GF commented about the same thing in the local Tesco's on Monday!

Stocking up on essentials? That sounds suspiciously like panic buying to me! :D

Associate
What I think is funny is that if people just did the same shopping as normal, they'd still have plenty and the shops wouldn't run out but because people panic buy, the shops always run out, so people panic buy...

Didn't the Russians used to shoot hoarders?

Man of Honour
What I think is funny is that if people just did the same shopping as normal, they'd still have plenty and the shops wouldn't run out but because people panic buy, the shops always run out, so people panic buy...

Didn't the Russians used to shoot hoarders?

That assumes people can get to the shops, etc.

So my flight is cancelled, it's still 42hrs away !

TxiFXn7.png

That sucks.

Showing for me almost constant, though light, snow from a bit later on today through until it goes above 0C Saturday morning - which is slightly at odds with other forecasts which are patchier and so far no signs of snow showers today.

Now getting light snow showers so maybe Netweather is right heh.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's starting to look like the models had the next couple of days wrong. They've been insisting that the low pressure (Storm Emma) would just push through dumping a load of snow then rain and making us in the south milder. Now it's looking like it will lose the battle against the cold and will dump snow further east than expected and stay cold! Could be interesting 48 hours for southern half of the country !

Man of Honour
It's starting to look like the models had the next couple of days wrong. They've been insisting that the low pressure (Storm Emma) would just push through dumping a load of snow then rain and making us in the south milder. Now it's looking like it will lose the battle against the cold and will dump snow further east than expected and stay cold! Could be interesting 48 hours for southern half of the country !

Its been constant corrections every 6 hours on that low - other than the temperatures are going to rise a bit at least temporarily I think its been overplayed. IMO its not nailed down what the effect is going to be and sounds like a lot past the first week of March is going to depend a lot on what the jet stream does - it looked like it was going to kick in again around the 10th but not sure if that is still the case - Gav earlier was talking about it being delayed before it does IIRC.

Soldato
Shouldn’t do. You could always salt it as well to stop it freezing over and melt any remaining snow.
I did this to my drive a few years ago, destroyed my drives concrete. Is there any truth in story about you being liable if you clear the path.

Man of Honour
LOL now the BBC are saying heavy snow where I am from 22:00 through to tomorrow morning and then scattered heavy snow through Thursday to Friday night.

Soldato
Coming down quite heavy here in the outskirts of Darlington, wind seems to be picking up too so we might get some good drifts in the morning.

Soldato
gonna have a few days of snow, best panic buy a months worth of toilet rolls, bread and milk
I knew this was coming, hence i did a very large shop last weekend. The road I live on is on a very steep hill, pretty much no way the car will be getting out of the cul-de-sac until it clears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom