WINTER 2018/2019 - Chat thread!

Man of Honour
It seems such a battleground at the moment it is hard to get excited about any potential outcome unless it is less than 72 hours away :s

Soldato
"a chance of some snow showers"

yup definitely time to start the HOTTEST SUMMER EVER headlines then!
Unfortunately those are more likely to be true :(

nam

nam

Soldato
Hi All, looking for a hot and sunny destination in Europe in December around 30-2 jan ? can anyone recommend 25 Degrees plus for beach and swimming in Europe ? Cyprus, tenerife, Fuerteventura anything else ?

Associate
I went from the 17th-24th December last year to Cyprus. We only had 1 day of beach weather at 25c+. The rest of the week was very nice and spent In a T-shirt but was around 18-22c.

Man of Honour
Hi All, looking for a hot and sunny destination in Europe in December around 30-2 jan ? can anyone recommend 25 Degrees plus for beach and swimming in Europe ? Cyprus, tenerife, Fuerteventura anything else ?

Good luck in Europe. It rained when I last did Christmas in the Canary Islands. I gave up with winter sun in Europe and now just go to Dubai.

Soldato

Yes Canary Islands or Azores are best bet although I wouldn't exactly call them Europe in traditional sense being closer to the equator than actual Europe

Soldato
Oh my life its cold tonight! Heating on blankets on and most importantly hot chocolate.

I do think this winter may be cold, to counter balance the freakishly hot summer we had. :D
Not that cold here, still had no need for anything but a T-shirt.

According to the built in iPhone app it's 2c at the moment

Man of Honour
Rain, rain and more rain.

Unless we get some disruption in the jet stream I think that will be the theme for awhile with the odd short lived cold incursion. All the setup is there for some deep cold if cold does win out though.

Man of Honour

Devil in the detail though :( looks like a split vortex but weaker influence than the one earlier in the year and as always a SSW doesn't necessarily bring cold just disruption to normal weather patterns i.e. the summer we just had was also likely off the back of it - could just as easily bring unseasonably mild weather to this time of year.

Soldato
Devil in the detail though :( looks like a split vortex but weaker influence than the one earlier in the year and as always a SSW doesn't necessarily bring cold just disruption to normal weather patterns i.e. the summer we just had was also likely off the back of it - could just as easily bring unseasonably mild weather to this time of year.

Reading some of the weather people (the clever ones with doctorates in climatology/atmospheric science) on twitter it seems like this SSW is going to be something special in terms of magnitude but like you say nobody knows how it's going to play out for us mere mortals on the ground

Man of Honour
Reading some of the weather people (the clever ones with doctorates in climatology/atmospheric science) on twitter it seems like this SSW is going to be something special in terms of magnitude but like you say nobody knows how it's going to play out for us mere mortals on the ground

What concerns me (from wishing for a bit of snow perspective) every couple of days or so the disruption gets pushed back another couple of days - initial model output was showing the first signs on the 26th now it is pushed to 29th-1st. On the other hand the best chance of proper wintery weather for the UK is if it gets push into January when there is deep cold around.

Caporegime
OP
What concerns me (from wishing for a bit of snow perspective) every couple of days or so the disruption gets pushed back another couple of days - initial model output was showing the first signs on the 26th now it is pushed to 29th-1st. On the other hand the best chance of proper wintery weather for the UK is if it gets push into January when there is deep cold around.

Was never keen on getting cold in November and then spats of it through the rest of the winter, 2010 was a great exception! Hopefully we get the hardest of any cold weather + snow during Jan or Feb, my favourite months!

Back
Top Bottom