WINTER 2018/2019 - Chat thread!

Associate
Tell me what you go for I'd like to have a look at it, I'm after a new jacket too.

Settled on a Berghaus Fellmaster 3-in-1 , Comes with a fairly lightweight fleece that zips in , can get heavyweight fleeces too but to be honest, if it's cold and dry, i'll be wearing my down jacket, this is just for wet/snowy days.

Associate
Settled on a Berghaus Fellmaster 3-in-1 , Comes with a fairly lightweight fleece that zips in , can get heavyweight fleeces too but to be honest, if it's cold and dry, i'll be wearing my down jacket, this is just for wet/snowy days.

Thanks I'll give it a look!

Caporegime
OP
UK Outlook for Monday 26 Nov 2018 to Monday 10 Dec 2018:

This period is likely to begin with a continuation of the mainly dry conditions, with variable cloud and some sunshine, once morning fog patches clear. However, there will be an increasing chance of some more unsettled interludes developing, with showers or longer spells of rain spreading to many areas at times. Temperatures are likely to be below average overall, with a marked increase in the likelihood and extent of frosts. These colder conditions will be accompanied by an increased chance of snow, particularly for northern hills, during any spells of more unsettled weather.

Man of Honour
Some interesting trends emerging towards the end of the forecasting models but at a range that makes them highly unreliable - they've kept on trying to go cold at the longer range but every time eased towards milder as we get close to that point :s now starting to show the possibility of sub-zero temperatures beyond the 26th with a small chance of snow.

The impact of the SSW event earlier in the year seems to have been progressively longer and longer wavelength and smaller and smaller amplitude so probably won't be having any real impact any more.

Man of Honour
Yeah

92gb8G3.png

Was outliers at first but now more members showing support for a cold end to the month though seems quite dry mostly as well so at the moment limited potential for snow fall but could be quite icy in the mornings.

Soldato
BMreports the national grid balancing market monitoring site shows very tight margins on the grid tomorrow and Friday and the same again next week. I can only assume wind is predicted to be very low and solar will obviously be very low. I don't think we're looking anywhere near as tight as last March when the gas supplies were running out but it's a good early test of the system.

Next year will be interesting if we're entering a sequence of cold winters because the recent ECJ judgement against the Capacity Market could see big changes in the supply for next winter.

Soldato
I was quite surprised by the heavy frost this morning. I know it's nearing the end of November, but I'm sure that for the last few years, it's been fairly mild all the way up to (and just beyond) Christmas. No significant snow until January/February at the earliest. I much prefer it this way - I don't expect a white Christmas, but it does feel much more seasonal when it's at least cold and frosty through December.

Back
Top Bottom