WINTER 2018/2019 - Chat thread!

Soldato
BMreports the national grid balancing market monitoring site shows very tight margins on the grid tomorrow and Friday and the same again next week. I can only assume wind is predicted to be very low and solar will obviously be very low. I don't think we're looking anywhere near as tight as last March when the gas supplies were running out but it's a good early test of the system.

Next year will be interesting if we're entering a sequence of cold winters because the recent ECJ judgement against the Capacity Market could see big changes in the supply for next winter.

Interesting to watch the grid here:
https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Nearly 50% of the UK's power is CCGT at the moment!

Associate
The colder the better! I like it to the point your finger ends hurt! We have no idea in the UK what cold is...makes me giggle listening to everyone at work complaining about ‘how cold it is’...wear the right gear and come rain or shine the weather should not be an issue

Soldato
3 degrees most of this week. Brrr!

Lost my old gloves so popped into Sports Direct to get some Thinsulate ones, only to come home and find my gloves behind the slow cooker of all places...

Soldato
BMreports the national grid balancing market monitoring site shows very tight margins on the grid tomorrow and Friday and the same again next week. I can only assume wind is predicted to be very low and solar will obviously be very low. I don't think we're looking anywhere near as tight as last March when the gas supplies were running out but it's a good early test of the system.

Next year will be interesting if we're entering a sequence of cold winters because the recent ECJ judgement against the Capacity Market could see big changes in the supply for next winter.
Tight margins indeed. Just lost power here (South Devon) for a few seconds for no apparent reason!

*edit* big crack of thunder a few moments later... that was probably why ^^

Last edited:
Soldato
Basically having to put heating on most of evening now.... so fun. Freezing my nuts off.

I keep some parrots too and went into their spare room today it was 8 degrees in there.... poor homies. Temperature has crashed overnight.

Associate
Just after some advice, I’m heading to Iceland in February and looking for some guidance as to what to take in the way of coats. I have a Rab Microlight jacket that I’m planning to take however I’m aware it isn’t waterproof. Iceland weather is known as very unpredictable so I will be taking some kind of waterproof shell.

What do people recommend, buying a cheap waterproof shell that I can wear over the insulated jacket or buy a coat that is waterproof and warm? People that have been to Iceland over winter, what did you take and was it suitable?

Thanks!

Caporegime
OP
Met office CPF forecast
November update
December to February

Temperature summary
For December-January-February as a whole, below-average temperatures are more likely than above-average temperatures, with the highest chances of impacts from cold weather later in the period. Overall, the probability that the UK-average temperature for December-January-February will fall into the coldest of our five categories is around 25%, and the probability that it will fall into the warmest of our five categories is around 15% (the 1981-2010 probability for each of these categories is 20%).

Full forecast: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binari...po/pdf/public-sector/forecast-temp-djf-v2.pdf

Precipitation summary
For December-January-February as a whole, the chances of above- or below-average precipitation are approximately similar. The probability that UK-average precipitation for December-January-February will fall into the driest of our five categories is between 20% and 25% and the probability that it will fall into the wettest of our five categories is between 20% and 25% (the 1981-2010 probability for each of these categories is 20%).

Full forecast: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binari.../pdf/public-sector/forecast-precip-djf-v2.pdf

Caporegime
OP
Conclusions
Overall, the signals for December are quite mixed, but the most likely outcome is that the month will be unsettled and mild early and late, possibly with a colder blocked spell around mid-month, and probably wetter than average overall for the British Isles.

For January there is strong support from the analogues for colder, more settled conditions and a mean westerly flow somewhat veered from normal, pointing to northerlies being more frequent than normal, although two of the closest ENSO analogues are 2005 and 2007 which had very mild Januarys with rampant westerlies.

For February there is strong support for plenty of high latitude blocking and easterly winds blowing more frequently than normal, as has historically been very common in winters with ENSO in a relatively weak El Nino state, and both the analogues and the major long range forecast models are in strong agreement on this. In particular, any sudden stratospheric warming event in January or February, especially later in the season, would be particularly likely to give us a significant cold spell given that the probabilities are already weighted towards high latitude blocking for February.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/long-range/seasonal

Soldato
really mild at the moment ,called at fistral for a surf late afternoon but wasnt inviting enough so just chilled
i love how its always summer down here in peoples minds. weekends always buzzing with people

6prrsy.jpg

Man of Honour
Caporegime
Every summer you see the usual papers with the headlines "worst winter in a decade to hit", and when it's winter you get "hottest summer since records began" as their headline. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
OP
UK Outlook for Wednesday 26 Dec 2018 to Wednesday 9 Jan 2019:

The end of 2018 is likely to remain fairly changeable with showers or longer spells of rain, possibly wintry over higher ground. Temperatures look likely to be around normal for the time of year. However, as we head into the New Year, there is the chance of high pressure becoming established close to the UK. This would bring drier and colder weather, but also an increasing chance of some snow showers and nighttime frosts.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Back
Top Bottom