Winter 2019/2020

Man of Honour
OP
I came out this morning full expecting to find he car iced over like yesterday but was pleasantly surprised to see it was just wet. Nice saving of 5 minutes.

My truck has had ice on it all day - even survived into the late afternoon.

EDIT: Though looking at it now it is mostly turning into water just the smallest amount of ice still in it making it look like ice. Still frost on north facing roofs though.

Soldato
All this thread shows is that it’s still not possible to make an even vaguely accurate weather forecast more than about three or four days in advance.

Weather will happen. We can’t reliably predict it and all these ‘models’ are just rough guesses that are wrong more often than they’re right.

There is an overall trend though and its up, wouldn't be surprised if turns out to be one of the warmest winters on record following one of the highest temperatures last summer. We've had 2 frosty nights lately that makes 3 this entire winter so far. Winter ain't what it used to be.

Man of Honour
OP
There is an overall trend though and its up, wouldn't be surprised if turns out to be one of the warmest winters on record following one of the highest temperatures last summer. We've had 2 frosty nights lately that makes 3 this entire winter so far. Winter ain't what it used to be.

Got down to -4.5C here last night - coldest we've had so far. Even if we get a late wintery blast it will likely be one of the milder winters on record though at this point.

I'm on the fence - most of the models aren't showing significant sub -5C 850hPa over the UK for the next couple of weeks and you rarely see significant winter weather in this country without that telegraphing it but at the same time going into Feb there is some disruption and looking like weakening polar vortex which might give us a chance at a cold shot.

Soldato
I came out this morning full expecting to find he car iced over like yesterday but was pleasantly surprised to see it was just wet. Nice saving of 5 minutes.
my first morning without my car frozen for a while,not that im going anywhere,was changing a reg number bulb yesterday thinking how awesome the sun was ,prefer the frosty start and the sun ,looking a little cloudy today
thats my parking space infront of house at the top of my lower garden on left but its more exposed get some shelter here but always supprised how heavy frosts can be here

IMG-20200121-153441.jpg

Soldato
Popped to West End Rd Tesco Express garage at 1400ish today for a few groceries, it was supposed to be far warmer than last few days, regretted not wearing gloves for the short 5min pootle-cycle each way... A bit nippy! :eek:

Soldato
I noticed some of my American friends are complaining about ice and snow storms over there. That usually means it'll head over here eventually.

I think we got winter conditions in March last year?

Soldato
Uncanny that, must have missed you by about 45 minutes, nipped in to get some bread and milk just before 3 I reckon.

We all need OCuk ID badges on our upper outer clothing, to recognise fellow forum members in real life. ;)

Another day of dry, dull overcast conditions at ~5C in SO18... I hope Wunderground's forecast for next week is wrong, Wednesday might be the only dry day. :(

Man of Honour
OP
Looks like a bit of transient snow passing through around the 28th - so far not looking like it will amount to much probably sleety stuff on medium high ground and maybe a bit of snow on high ground - only a very brief dip of a few hours where temperature would allow for anything else.

Man of Honour
OP

Yay :(

The model outputs aren't great for anything cold actually happening - fluctuating between intense zonal signals and some of the variation they tend to spit out around an SSW event. Frustrating when the season started with so much potential on the table compared to previous winters. (I'm still not writing off winter yet though - still plenty of chance for a late shot to develop).

Back
Top Bottom