Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Guess you mean Casterly Rock ;)

I just take it that Euron has bigger, faster, meaner ships than Dany. Sure shes got some Ironborn ships but most will be wheedly Dornish ships. That and Euron smashed them in the dead of night in a fog - something they'd have thought would be near impossible. Also the distances are still quite large so plenty of room to hit the weaker, smaller of the two fleets (assuming the larger fleet ferrying unsullied and dothraki would be too much even for the Ironborn, although it would cripple Dany as the losses would be huge).

Sorry, yes. Dragonstone to Casterly Rock.

I found out it was 400 miles from Dragonstone to Kings Landing which does make Blackwater Bay huge.
(By comparison the widest part of English Channel is 150miles, narrowest is 20miles).

Iron Born must be a bit annoyed off they have to sail all the way back now too!

Caporegime
I just take it that Euron has bigger, faster, meaner ships than Dany. Sure shes got some Ironborn ships but most will be wheedly Dornish ships.

Euron is King of the Ironborn; he should have the best ships and the best crews. Mind you, given how the Ironborn got bent over historically I'm not sure they have the best ships; they're more a nation of rapers and pillagers than a naval power as far as the stories seem to go.

That and Euron smashed them in the dead of night in a fog - something they'd have thought would be near impossible. Also the distances are still quite large so plenty of room to hit the weaker, smaller of the two fleets (assuming the larger fleet ferrying unsullied and dothraki would be too much even for the Ironborn, although it would cripple Dany as the losses would be huge).

I assumed Euron had spies which let him know when they left and, thus, knowing the path they'd take he had a good idea where they were and found them during the day just waiting for night to attack.

In the books, it's implied that Euron has some kind of dark magical sea going **** going down but it seems to have been left out of the series

Caporegime
Guess you mean Casterly Rock ;)

I just take it that Euron has bigger, faster, meaner ships than Dany. Sure shes got some Ironborn ships but most will be wheedly Dornish ships. That and Euron smashed them in the dead of night in a fog - something they'd have thought would be near impossible. Also the distances are still quite large so plenty of room to hit the weaker, smaller of the two fleets (assuming the larger fleet ferrying unsullied and dothraki would be too much even for the Ironborn, although it would cripple Dany as the losses would be huge).

yeah was a bit dodgy how he found them, at night.. something else as mentioned above may have helped

I think lots of the ships may have been Tyrell ships rather than Dornish, they were supposed to have a large fleet no?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Well.. duh.. you rush the story and cut the run time and the plot suffers. But since they rush and shorten the seasons because, you know, like... ammm... they have better shows to do or something, it's all justified man.

Associate
Well.. duh.. you rush the story and cut the run time and the plot suffers. But since they rush and shorten the seasons because, you know, like... ammm... they have better shows to do or something, it's all justified man.

They've always done that though. Littlefinger used to zip around the world all the time. Do we really need to see him sitting on a ship every time he, or anyone takes a journey? How do we know they've truncated the journey times? For all we know a couple weeks could have passed between one scene and the next time we see them.
The books are written pov so it's easier to show, not so when jumping around between characters.

Caporegime
Hot Pie and Deliveroo have opened a game of thrones themed bakery:

https://www.timeout.com/london/blog...its-called-you-know-nothing-john-dough-071217

**** this weather, winter is coming. As in, we’ve waited over a year and It’s. Finally. Coming. Season seven of ‘Game of Thrones’ is premiering this very Monday, July 17, and Deliveroo is opening a brilliantly-named bakery to celebrate, dubbed ‘You Know Nothing John Dough’.

Here’s where we separate the wheat of the true ‘GoT’ fans from the chaff. Remember Hot Pie? The fella who follows Arya Stark around for a bit before staying behind at that inn to pursue his real dream of becoming a baker? Well, it’s Hot Pie (aka Ben Hawkey, the actor who played him) who’s running the show at You Know Nothing John Dough.

Soldato
They've always done that though. Littlefinger used to zip around the world all the time. Do we really need to see him sitting on a ship every time he, or anyone takes a journey? How do we know they've truncated the journey times? For all we know a couple weeks could have passed between one scene and the next time we see them.
The books are written pov so it's easier to show, not so when jumping around between characters.

Yeah I don't have a problem with any of that. What I have noticed is the dialogue has suffered (there being no source material to adapt, just the general end-game plot/events).

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I now remember how much it sucks waiting a week for an episode, so I've started watching it from the very beginning. I'm talking season 1 :eek:

I have to say the dialogue and the story progression is noticeably better in the first season, compared with the latest one. It's also better as I'm picking up more things this time and will hopefully learn the family ties a bit better!

Things like the verbal jousting scene between Verys and Littlefinger or any scene with Tyrion just show up the latest 2 episodes massively.

Soldato
You definitely enjoy it more the second time through. Also S1-S3 are in a different league IMO, 4 is still pretty great, 5 not so much, 6 has perhaps the best finish (last 2 eps) of any of them though.

Caporegime
I now remember how much it sucks waiting a week for an episode, so I've started watching it from the very beginning. I'm talking season 1 :eek:

I have to say the dialogue and the story progression is noticeably better in the first season, compared with the latest one. It's also better as I'm picking up more things this time and will hopefully learn the family ties a bit better!

Things like the verbal jousting scene between Verys and Littlefinger or any scene with Tyrion just show up the latest 2 episodes massively.

I'm also watching it from episode 1. I thought the recent episodes hold up well. The main problem is too much stuff happening. It needs to slow down a little and let the characters and the plot breathe. I can't see that happening though.

Caporegime
Soldato

what about the ravens?! ''send a raven'' next scene ''i received a raven today''

like there's an endless supply of fully trained ravens that can navigate anywhere in the world in mind boggling time and efficiency

Soldato
Euron is King of the Ironborn; he should have the best ships and the best crews. Mind you, given how the Ironborn got bent over historically I'm not sure they have the best ships; they're more a nation of rapers and pillagers than a naval power as far as the stories seem to go.

I assumed Euron had spies which let him know when they left and, thus, knowing the path they'd take he had a good idea where they were and found them during the day just waiting for night to attack.

In the books, it's implied that Euron has some kind of dark magical sea going **** going down but it seems to have been left out of the series

I thought that The Ironborn are apparently unmatched at sea as well as being the best ship builders. The times they have been defeated have all been in battles on land. I am pretty sure that was mentioned somewhere, maybe in the scene when Yara was trying to be the Queen of the Ironborn.

I don't have a problem with them destroying the fleet nor how they found them. We did not see Euron since the first episode so I would have thought that his expertise with naval tactics and warfare he would have anticipated that they would be sailing to Dorne to get their army and he lay in wait. Seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Back
Top Bottom