Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't understand why anything that isn't stabby-stabby action is called filler :confused:

Exposition and dialogue isn't filler, it's essential for good story telling.

I do notice them and their connections, but I think it's just a cheap way of making viewers 'feel intelligent' by referring back to things for the sake of nostalgia. It's sort of 'faux cleverness'.

Really, what was the point in bringing back the bread guy. That was so pointless. It's not like we needed reminding that Arya has changed / come a long way.

Likewise if Arya's wolf doesn't come back that would have been REALLY pointless so I'm keeping fingers crossed we haven't seen the end of that.

Most of them aren't meta-esque nudge wink callbacks IMO - nothing like Ed Sheeran's 'it's a new one I wrote' line - e.g. Danny telling Jon almost verbatim what Jon told Mance regarding pride is deliberately because both audience and Jon have heard it said before, with the result being both understand that the shoe is now on the other foot, whether he'll make the same choice or whether it'll be this cycle of repeatition (a big theme in ASOFAI) etc.

Chaos is a ladder was great - the whole point is that it's something we know LF said it to Varys in private so we know Bran is aware of his machinations, LF knows he said it in private, but it's not so explicit that LF is 100% sure that it's more than a very unsettling coincidence.

To be fair to Hot Pie, the story requires Arya to go to Winterfell, the Inn at the Crossroads is a common stop-off point for travellers and she's not big on small talk and travels alone, so either she has to randomly overhear and then take the word of a stranger, or a much easier plot device is to have a character she knows convey that info. As others have said it's also an easy means of showing how everything she's been through has made her cold, distant and affected her ability to just have a normal conversation with an old friend.

Re Dickon, the guy that plays him is stacked, and consequently with all his armour on has a small-looking head which makes him look funny.

Dany is fireproof in the books. Her hair and clothes aren't, she came out of Drogo's pyre naked and bald but otherwise unburned.
Blood magic used to survive Drogo's pyre was completely different, nothing to do with her family line.

GMM has stated categorically that Targs aren't fireproof

@Somnambulist yeah what you've said is completely fair. I only mentioned 'chaos is a ladder' as it was used as an example of 'cleverness', when I didn't think it was a prime example. The reveal at the end of the previous series re: John Snow - now that was clever! But perhaps that's because it's well entrenched in where Martin was heading with his story. I gather that the books are a bit more obvious when it comes to John's heritage.

Yup was about to post the same. It's a one off event but the shows just gone screw it she's fireproof.

Making her fireproof in the show also screws continuity, because if the family somehow were made of asbestos then why did Jon burn his hand/arm in S1 saving Mormont from the wights.

Making her fireproof in the show also screws continuity, because if the family somehow were made of asbestos then why did Jon burn his hand/arm in S1 saving Mormont from the wights.

I don't remember that scene. I was half expecting Jon snow to get roasted by khaleesi giving the order to her dragons, resulting in her finding out John is a targ.

I suppose that can't happen now

Yup was about to post the same. It's a one off event but the shows just gone screw it she's fireproof.

It's kind of a one off; GRRM was quoted as saying it was never the case that all Targaryens are immune to all fire at all times and seemed to suggest the funeral pyre was a one-off. However he then muddied the waters a bit. In the books that pyre scene involves her hair as well as clothes burning off which is worth remembering because much later, when Drogon flies into the fighting pit and starts eating people, she gets close enough to his flames that her hair gets burnt off again. It’s not stated outright that Drogon engulfs her in flames, but even if she wasn't, if she's close enough for her hair to burn away her skin would take at least some damage... but the next time we get a Daenerys chapter, she’s fine, just missing her hair again, no burns. So it might be a Danny/dragon thing not a Targ thing in general.

Best episode ever!
Go as far to say as that sequence was one of the most impressive things I've seen on broadcast TV.

It's kind of a one off; GRRM was quoted as saying it was never the case that all Targaryens are immune to all fire at all times and seemed to suggest the funeral pyre was a one-off. However he then muddied the waters a bit. In the books that pyre scene involves her hair as well as clothes burning off which is worth remembering because much later, when Drogon flies into the fighting pit and starts eating people, she gets close enough to his flames that her hair gets burnt off again. It’s not stated outright that Drogon engulfs her in flames, but even if she wasn't, if she's close enough for her hair to burn away her skin would take at least some damage... but the next time we get a Daenerys chapter, she’s fine, just missing her hair again, no burns. So it might be a Danny/dragon thing not a Targ thing in general.
It's speculative but even so the point really was that it's not her genetics that make her that way and even in the show it's been shown to not be a family trait.

I didn't think 'chaos is a ladder' was particularly clever, more "oooo do you remember this?! Oooooo!" - meh.

see, i read that as a poetic way of saying the more chaos spreads, the higher up the ladder you have to go, and when you eventually fall/run out of ladder, the bigger your drop is. probably resulting in your death.

Back
Top Bottom