Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's not about taking time to travel, darn you guys are relentless, they robbed the story off three episodes in this season ( and four next season ), half the **** on the screen doesn't make sense in terms of cause and effect, one second they can't get 5 miles off the island without enemies knowing their exact GPS position, the next second hordes and dragons ride across half the country without anybody spotting them, armies and fleets magically beam up all over the place, every action becomes a success based on luck and serendipity, plot holes pile up like bodies around Jon Snow during Battle of Barstewards, but oh my god - there be dragons in this episode - yay, let's stand on our hands and clap with feet in glee and don't anyone dare to criticise the plot going ridiculous and infantile...

Good plot delivery doesn't exclude nice action scenes. There is no excuse for shoddy scripting and lazy plot devices in a 100 million a season show. End of.

We've had what, 3 arguably 4 big set piece moments in 4 episodes already this season that you'd ordinarily get once, maybe twice in an entire season. These things takes, weeks if not months to shoot. There will undoubtedly be more to come too. Let alone the time the vfx guys need after shooting to get in on the screen. Little wonder there's only 7 episodes and 6 next season.
The running time means nowt, the next ones will be 60/70+ minutes with the finale I think around 80. If they think they need the time to tell the story they will take it. If the director thinks the pace of the individual episode is off he'll cut.

Your complaints are also silly and explainable as I've done more than once (which you ignore but then go on to repeat them ad nauseam).
This fight took place just outside Kings Landing, not across half the country.
Euron and his fleet are on the far side of the continent sailing back. There was nothing getting in Dany's way of making the crossing - they still had ships. At no point was it said they didn't have more.
If any ships saw them make the crossing (lets assume at night) they'd be torched by Drogon or flee out of the way so that they'd be too late to send warning.
Jaime and the rear of his army are out in the middle of nowhere so no ravens can get to them even if Dany was spotted.
She knows he's coming back with the spoils from Highgarden.

Your other complaint about 'beaming' armies is also wrong. You're not watching an episode of 24 in realtime. Scene transitions can be days or weeks apart.
Agreed, sometimes they handle it poorly - the Varys runaround was a little jarring end of last season.
Already said Euron's fleet in the first episodes would easily have had time to smash the fleet headed to Dorne (they knew they were going there to pickup the Dornish army), return to Kings Landing and then soon after set out after the unsullied. Again, they were headed to the far side of the continent to Casterly Rock - losing a day or two wouldn't mean much to the Iron Born sailors. They still arrived after the unsullied.

You're arguments are all easily explainable within the context of the story. Shame you can't sit back and enjoy one of the most epic shows every made without feeling the need to drill holes into it of your own making.

Wonder if we find out who Tyrions father really is? I think he will get in the way of dragon fire protecting Jamie but only Jamie will get burnt to a crisp.

Everyone i know IRL who watches thought they were great.

And the filler that you think is just filler is actually nuance and subtletly :p Its the minor details which make it great. It looks like you notice them but don't notice their connection to the wider story. Hence why you think they are irrelevant.
I do notice them and their connections, but I think it's just a cheap way of making viewers 'feel intelligent' by referring back to things for the sake of nostalgia. It's sort of 'faux cleverness'.

Really, what was the point in bringing back the bread guy. That was so pointless. It's not like we needed reminding that Arya has changed / come a long way.

Likewise if Arya's wolf doesn't come back that would have been REALLY pointless so I'm keeping fingers crossed we haven't seen the end of that.

I'm trying to find an Ost theme but I can't find it. Wonder if anyone can help. It was on the last episode when bran Arya and sansa was walking through Winterfell. I believe it was also used last season when you found out John snows heritage.i think It's played on a violin.

I'm definitely finding value in watching through the older seasons whilst keeping up to speed with this. Already I've picked up little meetings or conversations which give context to the current episodes. e.g. like the soldiers stopping Arya Stark from entering much like they did after Ned died.

Wonder if we find out who Tyrions father really is? I think he will get in the way of dragon fire protecting Jamie but only Jamie will get burnt to a crisp.
3 points.
Point 1. Tywin is his father. Some fan speculation that maybe it was the mad king but it should be assumed it's tywin. Genetically he has little in common with the targayans and more in common with barathian.

Point 2. Targayans aren't fire proof.... They die from fire frequently in the books and danys brother even dies from boiling metal in the show and Jon snow isn't fireproof either. Dany being fireproof is just show bs really, she's not fireproof in the books.

Point 3. You seen how big the fire from the dragons is? How's the imp going to shield any1 from that? Kinda pointless to try

Last edited:
I do notice them and their connections, but I think it's just a cheap way of making viewers 'feel intelligent' by referring back to things for the sake of nostalgia. It's sort of 'faux cleverness'.

Really, what was the point in bringing back the bread guy. That was so pointless. It's not like we needed reminding that Arya has changed / come a long way.

Likewise if Arya's wolf doesn't come back that would have been REALLY pointless so I'm keeping fingers crossed we haven't seen the end of that.

Hot pie probably plays a role soon in coming eps, but even still, Arya stopped over there and he was present and guided Arya at least in one way. So his appearance was relevant.

So Chaos is a Ladder is just faux cleverness? Jon saying he's not a Stark and boom Drogon at that moment flies over. People repeating lines said by other (now dead) characters e.g. Bronn and King Robert. Its a shame you don't like these little bits because for me these little things make the show.

We needed him for so many things omg.

1. Needed him to redirect Arya back to Winterfell. Prior to meeting him she was on a suicide mission to Kings Landing.
2. Needed him to show how Arya has changed since being with the FM. Thats how you show how someone is not who they used to be....you have them meet someone from their past who has met the old Arya.
Hotpie is thunderstruck at the difference in demeanor and behaviour of Arya.
Also i think this little interaction brings back hope into Arya's life...she is on a most likely one way suicide mission to kings landing...the way she interacts with Hotpie up until the bit where he says Jon Snow got Winterfell back...its as if new options and life became available. Then the bit when Hotpie says he will be ok as he is like her ....a survivor. Ahh haha fantastic. Both survivors but both could not be more different in how they survive.

Anyone see Thronecast? Was a great little story from the actor playing Meryn Trant (sp?) saying he only reads his own lines so he can watch the show as a fan.
Towards the end of the 4th season shoot he walked past Charles Dance on set who's walking around in a dressing gown.
"The little ******* finally done me in" or something to that effect, talking about Tyrion. The thought of it made me chuckle anyways.

No idea if it's badly fitting but I'd be surprised given how much care they put into that kind of thing. Guess it stands out as it doesn't have amazingly detailed lions heads etc on the shoulders, brightly coloured breastplates with designs compared to the other leads. Costumes in the show must say are amazing.

given the fire witch is at Dany's home, what's the chances of Jamie being drowned, but her bringing him back when Tyrion et al bring the body back?

So Chaos is a Ladder is just faux cleverness? Jon saying he's not a Stark and boom Drogon at that moment flies over. People repeating lines said by other (now dead) characters e.g. Bronn and King Robert. Its a shame you don't like these little bits because for me these little things make the show.

We needed him for so many things omg.

1. Needed him to redirect Arya back to Winterfell. Prior to meeting him she was on a suicide mission to Kings Landing.
2. Needed him to show how Arya has changed since being with the FM. Thats how you show how someone is not who they used to be....you have them meet someone from their past who has met the old Arya.
I think your use of 'need' is a little liberal :p

I don't always dislike the "nuanced references" but they are coming so forced, thick and fast in the current series that are they are a little grating to me. It isn't hard to go back and find a small piece of dialogue to reference when making the show - I didn't think 'chaos is a ladder' was particularly clever, more "oooo do you remember this?! Oooooo!" - meh.

Still, enjoying the show very much! Just they've slightly overdone the back-referencing in this series so far. The whole section with the hound going back to the house was fine but, again, felt a little forced ("ooooo remember this?") to me.

3 points.
Point 2. Targayans aren't fire proof.... They die from fire frequently in the books and danys brother even dies from boiling metal in the show and Jon snow isn't fireproof either. Dany being fireproof is just show bs really, she's not fireproof in the books.

Dany is fireproof in the books. Her hair and clothes aren't, she came out of Drogo's pyre naked and bald but otherwise unburned.

I think your use of 'need' is a little liberal :p

I don't always dislike the "nuanced references" but they are coming so forced, thick and fast in the current series that are they are a little grating to me. It isn't hard to go back and find a small piece of dialogue to reference when making the show - I didn't think 'chaos is a ladder' was particularly clever, more "oooo do you remember this?! Oooooo!" - meh.

Still, enjoying the show very much! Just they've slightly overdone the back-referencing in this series so far. The whole section with the hound going back to the house was fine but, again, felt a little forced ("ooooo remember this?") to me.

Id genuinely forgotten about the house! But I have the memory of a goldfish sometimes. Also tbf on thronecast they showed the original chaos is a ladder speech and half of them had forgotten that.

Back
Top Bottom