Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Not the ending I was expecting but I can live it with. How we got this ending is my biggest gripe, what a rushed piece of crap Season 8 was, but they made their decision and we've got to live with what's done.

Was nice to see Sam, Tormund and Ghost again but feel that the death of Eddison Tollett was needless and he should have made it to the end.

Sansa Queen in the North after doing sweet sod all, great, stuck up little bitch.

Arya is off to god knows where, they should have at least made Davos give Arya the instruction to go off and explore, to map the world further rather than just, I'm off, c ya.

Did the Dothraki just disappear?

How many people are left in Kings Landing that they need to take out a loan to feed them all?

I wanted Hot Pie to be the master baker in Kings Landing.

Soldato
I found it quite satisfying. I thought the various build ups to the finale (about half way through) were done nicely. It struggled for a short while after that but the end act was nicely done and left me with a little sadness, reminiscent of the bitter sweet end of Quantum Leap.

Man of Honour
So there we have it, there was no green eye kill for Arya, Bran ends up doing essentially nothing for 8 seasons and is carried, dragged and wheeled about by people to end up as King. Nobody deals with the dragon and it just flies off. There was no real endgame to ressurecting Jon and he doesnt return to death once its all done. Gendry disappears for episodes again, presumably to go rowing and we're all nicely set up for spin offs of the hunt for Drogon, Aryas exploration of the west, Jons adventures in the North North.

Goes to show how much we all know though, on our poll the only two people voted less likely to be on throne than Bran at the end were Jamie and Brienne :D

Caporegime
Managed so so much pure stupid in an episode again.

Greyworm goes to a meeting, situation at start of meeting, conquerors won Kings Landing, the city is destroyed, most of it's people dead, thousands of dead bodies in the street but they have thousands of people inside a city of reinforced walls, etc. So the rest talk, they elect a new leader in Bran........ so the situation is they still own the city, they still have thousands of highly trained people in their army inside the city and if the rest of them want the city they need to fight them. It's frankly silly to believe the northmen are a large army after everything that has gone on.

But regardless, they voted in a new king, with basically no authority to do so (as they didn't currently reside on or control the throne) and they just left?

So if Ghengis Khan rocks up to a city, they say well we're in here and we're not giving up, so the people outside vote and elect Ghengis Khan the new ruler of the city, so the people in the city just say sure, okay, makes sense, and leave? That's essentially what happened.

Even without that, if a kingdom can just say you know what, no thanks, I'm done, then what power does the 'king' have. THe reason there has been a ruler of the 7 kingdoms is because some lord decides they want to rule more land so they go and conquer other kingdoms. They keep power by having an army stronger than any other kingdom, they were conquered. Voting in a king with no army and no power over the other kingdoms is entirely meaningless. Without an army, which he doesn't command, then he's an empty vessel on a throne with no actual power.

Go make the Stormlands pay their tax "well they have an army, and we don't"....

Soldato
And another thing...

Where did Arya's white horse go to? Last episode she was last seen riding off on it only to pop back this episode and the horse was nowhere to be seen. Why spend more time than needed to show a white horse around all the death and destruction for it to have no meaning whatsoever?

Soldato
I just finished it and feel the same. That was one dull episode for me and the conclusions to a lot of storylines I feel weren't the best.

Did anyone else get strange Night King/Wight vibes right at the very end?...

I did too but think that they wanted to end North or the Wall just as GoT started there.

Man of Honour
Wow, feel I need to digest all of that! I liked almost all of it, but I literally couldn’t stop laughing when it they announced the king :eek: :D

I mean, it makes sense story wise and with the lore, but he was so bad ‘on screen’. I do enjoy my little ‘fan edit’ in my mind where they push him off into the sea when he’s on the pier :o :p

Soldato
I enjoyed that finale. I think as others have said, in the context of the entire show, it was certainly a disappointing ending, but in the context of Season 8, I think the final episode was one of the better episodes. Things got wrapped up fairly well. It wasn't the 'everyone's happy' ending (Jon being banished basically), in true GoT fashion.

So if Ghengis Khan rocks up to a city, they say well we're in here and we're not giving up, so the people outside vote and elect Ghengis Khan the new ruler of the city, so the people in the city just say sure, okay, makes sense, and leave? That's essentially what happened.

But that's not really what happened here. They had no King/Queen left (as far as they knew), so all the powerful people from across the lands elected a new one. This would be how it is to be done now, not through right of birth. I don't really see why there's an issue with this?

Caporegime
Wow, feel I need to digest all of that! I liked almost all of it, but I literally couldn’t stop laughing when it they announced the king :eek: :D

I mean, it makes sense story wise and with the lore, but he was so bad ‘on screen’. I do enjoy my little ‘fan edit’ in my mind where they push him off into the sea when he’s on the pier :o :p

Why they felt the need to give Bran almost no lines, show zero emotion or even interest, say almost nothing when being elected and show basically not one scene of him leading in any way at all is just, pathetic. Also when the Unsullied simply randomly decided to give up the city because other people who had no claim to it at the time voted in a new king, why did it remotely matter to the unsullied what Jon's punishment was. I mean, say you are sending him to the black watch, then the unsullied all go off to Narth or Essos, and then let Jon do whatever he wants.

They made Bran's character the most plain, boring, empty, soulless and pointless character, then made him king.

Don
I enjoyed it, despite being an underwhelmingly "safe" ending.

But that's not really what happened here. They had no King/Queen left (as far as they knew), so all the powerful people from across the lands elected a new one. This would be how it is to be done now, not through right of birth. I don't really see why there's an issue with this?

Surely Gendry still had a claim to the throne though?

Caporegime
I enjoyed that finale. I think as others have said, in the context of the entire show, it was certainly a disappointing ending, but in the context of Season 8, I think the final episode was one of the better episodes. Things got wrapped up fairly well. It wasn't the 'everyone's happy' ending (Jon being banished basically), in true GoT fashion.

Because the people who elected a new king, had no right to. Again one side conquers the throne, a bunch of people who didn't conquer the throne then decided that even without control of the city in any way at all they'd decide it's outcome. THe conversation started off as we (the unsullied) won the city, we are in the city, it is ours. Kings/queens is irrelevent, they won it. If a group who had no king or queen, but simply a plain old elected leader beats out the sitting leaders/rulers of a land, then they rule it.

THe unsullied said it was theirs, then a bunch of different people said, well we're putting this guy in charge of it... yeah, but the unsullied control it. They can put whoever they want in charge of it and at that exact time Grey Worm was the most senior man in the city, he was their defacto leader.

Having no king or queen is irrelevant, power is relevant. Baratheon could have taken over the 7 kingdoms by beating the mad king and declared himself lord regent of the sewer people, it's his army that won the battle, it's his army that secured the throne. Should he not have named himself king, the rest of the lords don't get to just say well we elected a new king so you're out. THe power came from the force and him being the leader of his army, not from a specific title.

Back
Top Bottom