1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Hostile_18, Aug 3, 2009.

?

Who will rule Westeros?

Poll closed May 18, 2019.
  1. Daenerys Targaryen

6.8%
  2. Jon Snow / Aegon Targaryen

30.8%
  3. Sansa Stark

13.8%
  4. Arya Stark

8.1%
  5. Bran Stark

2.1%
  6. Sam Tarley

3.0%
  7. Tyrion Lannister

9.8%
  8. Jamie Lannister

0.8%
  9. Cersei Lannister

2.1%
  10. Gendry

10.8%
  11. Brienne of Tarth

1.3%
  12. The Night King

4.9%
  13. Other (please specify)

5.7%
  1. byeo

Wise Guy

Agreed, we should have had the Battle of Kings Landing ending with Jamie & Cersi dying, this episode with Jon killing Dany and the final episode was the aftermath and deciding who will rule the Six Kingdoms.

2. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Great episode. Great final season. Great ending.

I have some complaints but, overall, it was a finale worthy of the series.

3. Sui

Mobster

I didn't like the jump from Jon killing Danny to being talked about as a prisoner, or Bronn magically turning up but overall I thought the episode was decent.

Not too impressed with who is in charge but I guess that's because he's a dull character who has done naff all across the series.

4. Jonny2284

Wise Guy

Not Dexter or SoA bad but certainly not the ending the show deserved.

5. drunkenmaster

Caporegime

The thing is, we don't know Bran, at all, he's a 100% changed person and since he's changed no one knows him at all including the audience. He might have evil intentions, he might be straight up crazy, he may have plotted everything, he may be a simpleton. My issues is the show nearly completely ignored him, it would be like making RIckon a king, no one knows who he is. He was essentially a side character for years rather than main, even as a 'main' character going north of the wall and the Hodor thing he was still in it much less frequently.

I mean, the man who can see all past atrocities, who can go into the past and watch people being killed, murders, rapes, who might watch the REd Wedding over and over... is this a guy who we think will retain sanity and make a good leader? Why, my take would be a guy who has seen it all, generation after generation of mistake, success, things being built up than burnt down, wouldn't his ultimate view point be that nothing really matters?

AGain though it's just that he's been a complete non entity, he's done nothing, nor spoken enough nor done anything but act aloof and like he really doesn't care to justify anyone voting for or placing him on a throne.

6. StriderX

Capodecina

Not so much the ending, insofar the lead up to it being the problem.

7. Washout

Wise Guy

The people there were, in effect, the rulers of all the other kingdoms. Grey Worm has no interest in ruling and a ruler had to be chosen. He could huff and puff but what would be the point? No Dragon, no dany. The throne was literally gone. The rest of the country would fall on them if they stayed holed up in the ruins of KL.

8. Rossi~

Capodecina

Indeed! Didn’t mind the ending all that much but agree with all those points.

At least it’s over and done with now, what’s next?

9. Kainz

Capodecina

The adventures of Dora the Explorer aka Arya.

10. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

But they didn't though, did they? For one, you could argue Dany won it on her own, otherwise you would argue an alliance including the unsullied won, but they can't claim to have won the city on their own. The group of the leaders of the land picked a king, yes, the unsullied could then attack and kill Bran if they wanted to rule, but they don't and they wouldn't.

11. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

I think I agree with this generally. Some people now seem to be tainted by some of what has gone on this season and just want to find fault.

12. Clov!s

Capodecina

So what do we do with our lives now GOT has finished?

13. mrk

Man of Honour

Agreed, agreed on that.

14. Bigpig

Mobster

Don't mind the ending but the journey there was crap.

Think I would have been more ****** if the dragon had died.

15. JediFragger

Capodecina

Thank God that's over and done with, I'm just glad it's over tbh. Roll on Westworld!!

16. Minusorange

Mobster

I have no issues with the ending, the problem I have is with the last stretch of the journey to that end, it's like reading a book but there's a bunch of pages missing near the end and suddenly you're on the last page of the story

17. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Hold on.... wait... just... you’re not seriously implying west world is better than GOT? :eek: :p

18. Simmz

Wise Guy

Well what a ride it's been, but like all good things, they must come to an end. My only complaint really is just the fact season 8 just seemed far too rushed. Would have preferred it either had been 2 seasons, or just the same amount of episodes as the last ones, but all a bit longer.

Anyway, roll on Lord of the rings TV series next.

19. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

They did though, they were on the winning side, they likely all formed part of Dany's war council being the heads of the houses who supported her. Their Queen was dead with no heirs to take over so they were the right people to choose a successor, the only other option was a war of succession (Edumure still might fancy it given the look on his face:D). Grey Worm wanted justice for Dany in the form of some kind of punishment for both Jon and Tyrion but I never considered that the Unsullied really had any stake in the war beyond supporting Dany, and Grey Worm had made it clear that he didn't feel at home in Westeros. On top of that Sansa mentioned that the Westerosi army was outside Kings Landing and the Unsullied were in the position of defending a city with breached walls.

In terms of my opinions of the episode overall? It left me cold to be honest, I felt no emotion for anything other than seeing Jon get what he had wanted since meeting Ygritte. It's an odd one because I don't necessarily have an issue with anything that happened but the last two seasons being so rushed, along with no care being taken to develop Bran in that time means I just couldn't get invested.

On top of that I found it quite jarring when the small council gathered in a pristine hall despite all the damage to the city, sure it could have been sparred but it just seemed out of keeping. A lot of the dialogue felt quite forced, though some of the acting was excellent in spite of this, and what happened to the Dothraki? Can't see them being happy with just packing up their horses and setting sail again without some carnage.

I don't know, I feel like the lack of development and the rushed pace of the last two seasons has damaged the immersion for me to the point where I just didn't care about the way it ended. It's a shame really, hopefully GRRM will get around to completing the books and I can enjoy a finale that actually resonates more, even if it ends up being identical in terms of outcomes.

Amazon's adaptation of The Wheel of Time in 2020? That should keep me busy for another 8 or so years. I'm also a bigger WoT fan than I am a GoT fan so I get to be vehemently self righteous whilst hollering "THAT WASN'T IN THE ******* BOOKS YOU MONSTERS!"

20. doodah

Capodecina

Haven't finished yet but the good in GoT vastly outweighs the bad. S8 however was a rushed exercise that should have had a 10 episode run.

21. Tombstone

Capodecina

Westworld 3 :)