Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I mean, say you are sending him to the black watch, then the unsullied all go off to Narth or Essos, and then let Jon do whatever he wants.

They made Bran's character the most plain, boring, empty, soulless and pointless character, then made him king.

Jon always had a connection to the Nights Watch and Wildlings, makes sense for him to go back there with Ghost and Tormund, he was never interested in sitting on the Iron Throne.

As for Bran, I can live with this decision, I see why they made it. Aerys was mad, Robert was a drunken slob, Joffery was a psychopath, Tommen was pathetic, Cersi was ruthless and for the brief brief moments Dany was the Queen she was happy to continue her Father's legacy.

Bran was a change of direction and a wise one at that.

Soldato
Jon always had a connection to the Nights Watch and Wildlings, makes sense for him to go back there with Ghost and Tormund, he was never interested in sitting on the Iron Throne.

As for Bran, I can live with this decision, I see why they made it. Aerys was mad, Robert was a drunken slob, Joffery was a psychopath, Tommen was pathetic, Cersi was ruthless and willing to let everyone die on the basis she remained on the Throne and for the brief moments Dany was the Queen she was ready to continue her Father's legacy.

Yeah I was actually really satisfied by the conclusion in all honesty, Bran gets the chance to use his memories I guess, to try and properly balance the realm to continue hence forth.

Jon essentially is away back to where he truly belongs, I like to think he stays beyond the wall now given his longing look at the gate closing. He fulfilled the reason he was brought back by the Lord of Light, who says he needs to die right after that.

To be fair when I heard the stabbing sound I did think, has she gone and killed Jon? Fantastic visual with Drogon burning down the throne.

Arya's end made a lot of sense for her character and Sansa ultimately got what she wanted out of it.

I like the new formed Kings Council as well.

The only thing that leaves me a bit disappointed is that ultimately Seasons 7 and 8 were rushed to an extent and could have done with being full 10 episode seasons. But overall I'm happy with how it's concluded, I'll certainly enjoy watching it all over again.

Associate
I can almost guarantee this is how the books will finish - the journey will be different, but then the books and tv show always were.

Overall I liked this season. I had problems with ep3 and I think they were very, very close to nailing it which was frustrating. Didn't need a huge amount of change to elevate it from average, albeit spectacularly average.
Main issue this season is with the number of episodes. Didn't bother me last season as it was enough to tell the story and I know this season in terms of minutes is almost as long as a normal. But, you can't have something like Dany's death bang in the middle. You can't really process it because you're onto the next scene. Be like killing Ned or Robb in the middle of those episodes.

Having said that, the scene itself I had no issue with. Jon finishing Dany was the whole prophecy of azor ahai thing coming about - albeit subverted. This time he wasn't there to save the world from ice, it was to save it from fire. I liked it. Drogon raging but not killing Jon, genuinely thought he was toast, and taking her away. Presumably back to Valyria.

Arya definitely ponders what's west of Westeros before, I just can't recall if in the show/books/both?

Bran becoming King was spoiled, can't remember if in here in a careless spoiler tag that didn't say it was related to leaks or maybe a youtube comment. That's going to get a lot of flak but then he is kind of logical for someone with his powers. What they've failed to do this season is have him make use of said powers! Again, like in ep3 - wouldn't have needed a huge amount. Be instrumental in the NK death. Ep 5 show him warging the horse to go fetch arya, I dunno, something!
But character use aside he's a good choice for King. No amount of scheming will get by him.

Not sure what to make of the north going on it's own. 6 Kingdoms doesn't have the same ring to it.

Liked most of the round up for the cast. Brienne finishing Jaimes story in the white book was a perfect end for both.
Sam becoming grand maester was fitting (he'll have to keep Gilly hidden ;) )
Bronn coming back was purely because he's a popular character, no way he'd take up that position in the books but I couldn't care less. Just the looks between him and Tyrion make it worth it.

Jon's ending I'd guessed bang on a while ago. Didn't think he'd be going back to the watch as thought they'd be gone. They don't really serve a purpose now that the wildlings are friends (for now) and the NK is gone. But then, the NK was gone for 100s (1000s?) of years so maybe they've truly never served a purpose other than being somewhere to send condemned men.
Knew they didn't give him and Ghost a proper goodbye because they were saving (money) it for later.

This episode, like the show, was all about Tyrion. Loved every scene he was in. Straightening the chairs a metaphor (maybe simile?) for the kingdom only for the others to wreck it. Finding his brother and sister was very touching.

Anyway. A great story well told. I don't think we'll see it's like again. Took a stumble on the landing but **** it, I can forgive that.

Soldato
Main issue this season is with the number of episodes. Didn't bother me last season as it was enough to tell the story and I know this season in terms of minutes is almost as long as a normal. But, you can't have something like Dany's death bang in the middle. You can't really process it because you're onto the next scene. Be like killing Ned or Robb in the middle of those episodes.

Agreed, we should have had the Battle of Kings Landing ending with Jamie & Cersi dying, this episode with Jon killing Dany and the final episode was the aftermath and deciding who will rule the Six Kingdoms.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I didn't like the jump from Jon killing Danny to being talked about as a prisoner, or Bronn magically turning up but overall I thought the episode was decent.

Not too impressed with who is in charge but I guess that's because he's a dull character who has done naff all across the series.

Caporegime

As for Bran, I can live with this decision, I see why they made it. Aerys was mad, Robert was a drunken slob, Joffery was a psychopath, Tommen was pathetic, Cersi was ruthless and for the brief brief moments Dany was the Queen she was happy to continue her Father's legacy.

The thing is, we don't know Bran, at all, he's a 100% changed person and since he's changed no one knows him at all including the audience. He might have evil intentions, he might be straight up crazy, he may have plotted everything, he may be a simpleton. My issues is the show nearly completely ignored him, it would be like making RIckon a king, no one knows who he is. He was essentially a side character for years rather than main, even as a 'main' character going north of the wall and the Hodor thing he was still in it much less frequently.

I mean, the man who can see all past atrocities, who can go into the past and watch people being killed, murders, rapes, who might watch the REd Wedding over and over... is this a guy who we think will retain sanity and make a good leader? Why, my take would be a guy who has seen it all, generation after generation of mistake, success, things being built up than burnt down, wouldn't his ultimate view point be that nothing really matters?

AGain though it's just that he's been a complete non entity, he's done nothing, nor spoken enough nor done anything but act aloof and like he really doesn't care to justify anyone voting for or placing him on a throne.

Associate
Because the people who elected a new king, had no right to. Again one side conquers the throne, a bunch of people who didn't conquer the throne then decided that even without control of the city in any way at all they'd decide it's outcome. THe conversation started off as we (the unsullied) won the city, we are in the city, it is ours. Kings/queens is irrelevent, they won it. If a group who had no king or queen, but simply a plain old elected leader beats out the sitting leaders/rulers of a land, then they rule it.

THe unsullied said it was theirs, then a bunch of different people said, well we're putting this guy in charge of it... yeah, but the unsullied control it. They can put whoever they want in charge of it and at that exact time Grey Worm was the most senior man in the city, he was their defacto leader.

The people there were, in effect, the rulers of all the other kingdoms. Grey Worm has no interest in ruling and a ruler had to be chosen. He could huff and puff but what would be the point? No Dragon, no dany. The throne was literally gone. The rest of the country would fall on them if they stayed holed up in the ruins of KL.

Soldato
I didn't like the jump from Jon killing Danny to being talked about as a prisoner, or Bronn magically turning up but overall I thought the episode was decent.

Not too impressed with who is in charge but I guess that's because he's a dull character who has done naff all across the series.

Indeed! Didn’t mind the ending all that much but agree with all those points.

At least it’s over and done with now, what’s next?

Soldato
THe conversation started off as we (the unsullied) won the city, we are in the city, it is ours. Kings/queens is irrelevent, they won it.

But they didn't though, did they? For one, you could argue Dany won it on her own, otherwise you would argue an alliance including the unsullied won, but they can't claim to have won the city on their own. The group of the leaders of the land picked a king, yes, the unsullied could then attack and kill Bran if they wanted to rule, but they don't and they wouldn't.

Soldato
Yeah I was actually really satisfied by the conclusion in all honesty, Bran gets the chance to use his memories I guess, to try and properly balance the realm to continue hence forth.

Jon essentially is away back to where he truly belongs, I like to think he stays beyond the wall now given his longing look at the gate closing. He fulfilled the reason he was brought back by the Lord of Light, who says he needs to die right after that.

To be fair when I heard the stabbing sound I did think, has she gone and killed Jon? Fantastic visual with Drogon burning down the throne.

Arya's end made a lot of sense for her character and Sansa ultimately got what she wanted out of it.

I like the new formed Kings Council as well.

The only thing that leaves me a bit disappointed is that ultimately Seasons 7 and 8 were rushed to an extent and could have done with being full 10 episode seasons. But overall I'm happy with how it's concluded, I'll certainly enjoy watching it all over again.

I think I agree with this generally. Some people now seem to be tainted by some of what has gone on this season and just want to find fault.

Back
Top Bottom