World Cup Group B (England, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Sweden) **SPOILERS**

Soldato
Balls :( well it was really short sighted by Sven then picking 4 strikers, I thought he could replace a player if they got hurt but obviously not!

Picking 4 might have been ok if one of them wasnt a lad who he's clearly not got any confidence in to do a job even against teams like T&T or Sweden let alone Argentina, Brazil or Spain.

Associate
what tactic did we use against northern ireland everyone? you guessed it...4-5-1

A 4-4-2 and a manager with tactical nouse and motivational skills is the only way we'll ever get near winning a world cup, and unless we stop pressing self destruct after 60 minutes and shutting up shop we don't have a chance either.

Associate
dobbsy said:
what tactic did we use against northern ireland everyone? you guessed it...4-5-1

A 4-4-2 and a manager with tactical nouse and motivational skills is the only way we'll ever get near winning a world cup, and unless we stop pressing self destruct after 60 minutes and shutting up shop we don't have a chance either.
Your probably right but as I see it 4-4-2 isn't a realistic option now, Owen is crocked, Crouch plainly isn't good enough and Sven obviously now thinks Walcott isn't either. Only leaves a 4-5-1 and Lennon is the answer.

Soldato
I'd like to see Lennon given a start but you cant play Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham & Lennon in a 4-5-1 as none of them are proper holding players.

None of the big 4 will be dropped by Sven either so if its gonna be 4-5-1 it'll be Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham & Hargreves.

I think i'd still stick with 4-4-2 with Crouch in for the Ecuador game though as I didnt think him and Rooney did too bad in the first half.

Soldato
Well that was another stunning performance. Poor to say the least.

For me Joe Cole piped Hargreves for MoM, as he did score 1 and make the other, but i thought Hargreves was very good, proves that if you actually play a player in their proper position then they tend to do well, especially one as good as hargreves is, his performances for Bayern show how good he is, along with Ballack he was their linchpin in midfield, and has been for a while now.

Defnece was poor, first goal was down to Beckham adding yet another item to the long list of things he can't do, so we now have a captain who can't head a ball, can't defend in any shape or form, can't tackle, can't beat a man, can't run with the ball and tonight couldn't put a decent ball in for love nor money. He's a one trick poney and if thats not working, which it wasn't tonight by any means then he has to be pulled off, lennon is a better right winger, end of.

Second goal was not really anyones fault, campbell had a mare, Ashley Cole ran away from the ball, Robinson was indicisive, can't say i know where carra was but am guessing he was once again covering for beckhams inadequacies at the back.

Positives, Cole played well, Gerrard is just damn good, we avoided the Germans, my god Ballack and Klosse would have a field day with our defence playing like that.

More negatives, svens ridiculous selections are going to bite us in the arse, we are now down to 1 fully fit striker, 1 half fit striker and one kid who has never played, while a bloke who managed 18 in a average side, and was the top scoring english player in the prem is sat at home, as is defoe who is proven at premiership level, wel done sven you bloody mook. Although i like campbell he's clearly not fit, while the defender who shone out for me this season and outshone his more established centre back partner is sat at home in Manchester, he may look like he has a baked bean for a head but that is no reason not to pick Wes Brown who from what i have seen was quality all season for man yoo.

We have a plethora of midfielders who will not play any part, if Jenas gets a game baring an inconcievable injury crisis, i'll eat my hat, if with Hargreves much improved performance Carrick plays much of a role i'll be surprised, so why not leave them behind and have taken Bent/Defoe and Brown, then we wouldn't have 1 fit striker and plausably be playing a half fit centre back against a team that will be no pushovers, despite their performance against Germany with a massively weakened side.

S in conclusion, i'm happy that we are out of the group, we have the ability to go all the way, but unless Sven pulls his finger out of his backside (unlikely, as it's ben firmly stuck up there for a long while now) we will have little chance against any half decent side we come up against.

Associate
A swedish point of view

So yesterday was the big day where the two nations which are most important to me met. I was born in sweden but I have lived in London for many years.

Fact:
Neither Sweden or England had impressed prior to the game. Sweden did pound Paraguay and England did show decent play at some stages in the T&T game.
Looking on paper England should have had an easy group B win and should in all honesty beat sweden with the material they have.

Fact:
England outplayed Sweden in the first half. England really wanted to win the game! We did not stand a chance except for the early minutes where we had some pressure. Joe Coles great strike for 1-0 was a fair result. However, the keeper should have saved better! He was slightly out of position as the ball dipped quickly.
Second half and England where in controll but had MAJOR problems on set pieces. I don't understand this as you have possibly the two best centre backs in the world who are famous for good heading and jumping.
Sweden gained momentum and scored. At this point we did not think it was very fair but it was great for morale and we knew we are through regardless of the outcome in the Paraguay match.

Fact:
Sweden dominated the second half after the equaliser and where pretty unlucky not to take the lead. I count two woodwork hits and one clearance just outside the line from Källströms low volley.
England get a chance to go forward and Joe Cole crosses to an unmarked Gerrard who had all the time in the world to prepare for a perfect header.
Harsh we thought as we where in controll. Yet again Sweden show great character and get the late 2-2 goal!
Some in here say they dont understand why we are celebrating. We are happy as we played good football in the second half and showed great morale and qualified for the next round without help from anyone else. And England still havent beaten us over all these years. And in all fairness there's some pleasure in spoiling the party for the English with their 'We are the greatest team in the world' attitude :)

Fact:
England play Ecuador and should destroy them. I think Ecuador have burned their energy now.

Fact:
Germany won all their matches and scored a lot. In all fairness they have not played any respecting opponents. Costa rica? Ecuador? Poland? The Poles did give them quite the match and Germany scored very late, in the last minute I believe. If Sweden can show the spirit and character from last night (second half) it is my belief we could beat the Germs.

Caporegime
Ecuador are far from spent engery wise.

They rested quite a few players sitting on the knowledge they are through and arent really bothered who they play next (great attitude imo). Germanys 3-0 win yesterday is not a fair or true reflection on Ecuadors current standard.

Soldato
I have to agree, Ecuador were nowhere near as good yesterday as they can be. Ecuador will be dangerous but i still don't think they have enough quality to turn us over. Maybe they will beat us on pens because we suck going forward and can't score.

Soldato
Last night should have been used to send out a message to teams like Argentina, Spain, Germany, Italy etc that we will be challenging for it and we will be no easy ride. Instead we sent a message to say we can't defend set pieces, we have a captain who no longer has the legs for football at this level. If plan A fails then we lunp the ball upto a 7 foot 12" player who doesn't win his fair share of headers.

I realy don't buy into the argument of "Well what you moaning for we qualified for the next stage" Its a nonsense. With the players we have there is no reason why England can't qualify by playing attractive attacking football whilst being tactically astute.

Positives

Joe Cole - Great player who actually is giving us an end product

Wayne Rooney - The lift the team needed. Also he actually started linking the midfield and forward play

Owen Hargreaves - "England in player playing in right position and playing well" Shock /SUN Headline

JT & RF Partnership - Up until Rio went off I thought we looked pretty solid at the back.

Negatives

We are too predictable when the opposition works out our tactics

Peter Crouch - Credit to the lad he is doing the very best he can for England but he is not World class quality. Yes he runs, he hustles, he closes down. All of the things that ordinary dedicated footballers do anyway

Frank Lampard - Don't know if he is carrying an injury or the tactics or what but he just looks out of sorts compared to his performances for Chelsea in the Premiership and Champions League

Jamie Carragher - looked uncomfortable and akward on the ball. Football was like a hot potatoe at times. Amazing how so many England fans give Gary Neville stick when he plays

Ecuador will be no walk over in the next game. They rested a number of key players for the game against Germany. I would expect another dogged performance from them as well and do we have enough to break them down ?

Soldato
Loki said:
I realy don't buy into the argument of "Well what you moaning for we qualified for the next stage" Its a nonsense. With the players we have there is no reason why England can't qualify by playing attractive attacking football whilst being tactically astute

Agreed. Going on what we've seen so far, we're really going to struggle in the quarter finals. I reckon it's as far as we're going this year. We're not winning convincingly. We keep hearing how our game is going to be 'stepped up a gear', and how we'll come into our own against opposition of a higher calibre. Terry, Joe Cole, Rooney and Lennon are all capable, and have lifted the team. Lampard has looked totally out of sorts- how many shots does he need? For Chelsea, half of them would have been buried. A few of his efforts were no more than mere passes to their keeper.

Maybe it's as well we're playing Ecuador, so at least we wouldn't again have to suffer at the hands of the Germans :rolleyes:

Soldato
I think the team will miss him, but not as much as if he'd been scoring goals. Leaves the team in **** creak with only three strikers, but I remain optimistic that things will work out.

Man of Honour
Tony Soprano said:
:( The misery never ends for him does it.
Assuming he returns in 5 months that'll be almost a year out due to injuries:(

Owen, Rooney, Jonny Wilkinson, Flintoff, Vaughan, Simon Jones etc. how unlucky are we with injuries to key players?

lemonkettaz said:
seriously?!
Yep, he's just left the hospital & it's been announced on SSN.

Man of Honour
JohnnyG said:
Assuming he returns in 5 months that'll be almost a year out due to injuries:(

Owen, Rooney, Jonny Wilkinson, Flintoff, Vaughan, Simon Jones etc. how unlucky are we with injuries to key players?
Beckham at the last WC and Gerrard at the Euros too.

Back
Top Bottom