World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Caporegime
You've been waiting for something longer than it has existed? In that HDR with HDMI was April 2015 and with DP1.4 was March 2016. But yeah, things being asked and the tech now though is very much driving to that. In that it is all an increase in values. What you wanted in combined tech in 2015 didn't even exist which is very different to evolution of combined tech.

Is it a short time to get a total, maybe but positivity somewhere in the PC market would be good.

I know it didnt exist. If it had existed I wouldnt have been waiting for 7 years would I?

But you could see how the tech was developing and what was coming. It just seems to have come at a snails pace in the monitor world.

And I get doubly frustrated by a manufacturer showing off their latest grounbreaking monitor at CES in February of a year and then its 18 months later before you can actually buy the bloody screen!

Caporegime
£1300 isn't exactly cheap though for a monitor! On a scaled down perspective, the larger TVs etc are still a few grand so relative to that, it seems priced about right. I guess they are not adding a "new tech markup" like we normally would see here, that and how it's cheaper to produce QD-OLED panels due to the new manufacture process I guess.

True! I guess just the fact that any oled monitors we have seen have all been £3+k just makes this seem like such a steal especially when it's alienware and 175HZ QD OLED.... Still very expensive but worth the price unlike 100% of the **** in the monitor market atm :p Literally going to shake up the monitor market now and force all manufacturers to slash the LCD monitors currently costing 1+k No more milking out decade old tech, bending over for them :p

Someone made a good point elsewhere, the samsung monitor is likely to be a good bit cheaper too so might even be worthwhile holding out for that.

Caporegime
Hmm that's a good point there. Gsync ultimate, presuming it doesn't work with amd gpus still? If so, that could put me of this as I don't want to be locked to one gpu vendor....

Would also prefer a flat version but don't mind a subtle/gentle curve.

Any ETA when samsungs one is due?

Man of Honour
No idea if AMD GPUs can make use of Gsync the same way nVidia cards can use FreeSync, I guess we need an AMD person to confirm it works :p

I will almost certainly get the Alienware version though just because why not, unless the Samsung model releases around the same time of course. A mate has got me a student discount code for 15% off with Dell so I shall be using that :D

Caporegime
Oh nice! Anyone got any student discounts that they don't want? :D That reminds me, amex usually have some money of when buying from dell site so hopefully something comes up soon :p

Associate
Not sure if waiting for the Samsung one will be the best choice unless they can match the Alienware's 3 year warranty. I’m going to be using this as my main monitor and first time using Oled so this takes my mind off the stress of getting burn in.

Caporegime
True about the CS, dell are by far the best and samsung, well, the less said the better!

I'm hopeful I won't get burn in as my e7 still has no signs at all, however, obviously this will be used for desktop usage too, which will be a real test... Will implement some precautions such as wallpaper changing, auto hide taskbar, moving windows about every now and then. Already have screensaver set to turn on after 5 minutes.

Caporegime
True about the CS, dell are by far the best and samsung, well, the less said the better!

I'm hopeful I won't get burn in as my e7 still has no signs at all, however, obviously this will be used for desktop usage too, which will be a real test... Will implement some precautions such as wallpaper changing, auto hide taskbar, moving windows about every now and then. Already have screensaver set to turn on after 5 minutes.

Samsungs aftermarket care is pretty dodgy. I had a repair last year and Samsung farm out repairs to a third party with absolutely awful reviews. I didn't have any major issues but it was not a confidence inspiring process at all.

Associate
I am really torn on this. I was set to go for the 42" LG OLED, but the price parity of the Alienware has got me completely rethinking.

I am coming from a 35" ultrawide ASUS TUF monitor, which I use both for work, internet browsing, streaming and gaming.

The LG would give me more workspace, but there is the lingering doubt of burn-in. However, it would be great for watching TV or eventually connecting a console (my home office is also the guest room).

The Alienware is a tad smaller than my current monitor, but the specs are vastly superior to my ASUS TUF. The white would also go great with my desk set-up. However, it wouldn't find much use beyond my current monitor, meaning the guest room doesn't gain a TV.

Urgh! Really not sure now.....

Soldato
Exactly.

It's very weird how 21.9 gets so much hate, you don't see many, if any at all going into 16.9 display based threads giving of about the downfalls of their AR....

I always find the argument of "it's called ultrawide for marketing but I'm the only person smart enough to realise it's actually just a bigger monitor cut down" amusing. It's like they're so blinded by nerd rage they can't see the fact that 2560x1080 is a wider 1920x1080 and 3440x1440 is a wider 2560x1440.

I don't ever recall seeing a 3440x1935 monitor, so what would it be cut down from exactly? :cry:

Kind of gutted about this coming out soon to be honest. Like quite a few people in this thread I just bought an AW3821DW a few months ago - after posting a thread asking what are the chances of a monitor like this coming out soon and getting a pretty unanimous "not in the next few years".

Was intending to keep the Alienware for the next 5 years or so, but looks like there might be another upgrade coming shortly...

Only problem is the fact the panel is made by Scamsung, although I guess it would have a Dell warranty so I guess not a deal breaker.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
alienware and dell have the best customer service and warranties.
Yep. In the past pretty much always went Dell and if anything went wrong two blokes would turn up the next day with a replacement.

Looking forward to the reviews. Would be interesting if we eventually get a non gsync ultimate version. I am happy with 120hz. Rather have that and it also work on AMD cards and be cheaper to be honest. Also this way we don’t have to have no fan inside it :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I always find the argument of "it's called ultrawide for marketing but I'm the only person smart enough to realise it's actually just a bigger monitor cut down" amusing. It's like they're so blinded by nerd rage they can't see the fact that 2560x1080 is a wider 1920x1080 and 3440x1440 is a wider 2560x1440.

I don't ever recall seeing a 3440x1935 monitor, so what would it be cut down from exactly? :cry:
Yep. That’s why I call them 1440p, as that is what they are, just a bit wider.

Soldato
Yep. In the past pretty much always went Dell and if anything went wrong two blokes would turn up the next day with a replacement.

Looking forward to the reviews. Would be interesting if we eventually get a non gsync ultimate version. I am happy with 120hz. Rather have that and it also work on AMD cards and be cheaper to be honest. Also this way we don’t have to have no fan inside it :p

Gsync ultimate works with AMD cards, and I've never heard the fan in mine

Back
Top Bottom