World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Caporegime
Nice write up @Nexus18. I'm even more excited for upcoming "dark" games now, knowing I'll be playing them on this... Callisto Protocol, Dead Space remake, Splinter Cell reboot, Starfield etc etc.

You're in for a treat, dark games on this are in a whole different league now :cool: Especially with HDR.

The only con now with oled as I mentioned before is with how superior its pixel response is, is that stutter is definitely more noticeable, at first I thought gsync wasn't working but nope, that's all fine, just don't have lcd "masking" the issues now :p

EDIT:

Also, I can see the flicker too, on the xbox game launcher/pass app when fullscreen.

Soldato
You're in for a treat, dark games on this are in a whole different league now :cool: Especially with HDR.

The only con now with oled as I mentioned before is with how superior its pixel response is, is that stutter is definitely more noticeable, at first I thought gsync wasn't working but nope, that's all fine, just don't have lcd "masking" the issues now :p

Going to do with my AW3423DW what i did with my steam deck, play sonic mania on it first! lol

Sonic 1 was pretty much my first major jam back on the mega drive.

Soldato
After lots of back and forth they have refused, best they can do is 10% off and a mid-august delivery date. The place in the queue was lost as an agent at their end accidentally cancelled my order and they have no way of re-instating it.

Just wow.

:/

One sad bunny here. Now hoping for a 32" 4k Qd-oled display at a sensible price to pop up before august.... lol!

That's rubbish. I'm going to just avoid dell going forward tbh I think. I'll just wait till the 42" C2 is down to £750 ish tbh. No rush then.

Associate
Reciever mine it's damaged hole in box and anti glare stuff all scratched and off in corner tried to peel back and just remove but it's solid so got like 5cm off anti glare just hanging off

cannot believe it
It also won't stay on comes on for about 20 seconds then dead

Last edited:
Caporegime
One of my concerns was the brightness of hdr content with monitor being so close but hdr400 is quite comfortable.

Also, the bad thing with no matte coating to smudge/hide artefacts in the image is that now aliasing/shimmering etc. is even more noticeable in games. So FSR 1.0 is even more of a complete no go now :p

Associate
So used it a bit more, quick thoughts:

LG e7 in technicolour preset (most accurate out of the box preset) and dell mon. just in default standard and HDR400 for HDR content since I'm not sure on settings yet till hdtvtest or tftcentral get their hands on it.

- no doubt dell is superior for uniformity and banding or rather lack of banding on 5-10% grey slides
- colours overall are better than the lg e7
- blacks/shadow detail is handled better than my e7
- sharpness/clarity, I do think if you're a fan of 4k and all about pixels, you might find this a bit lacking but then it kind of comes down to a 21.9 vs 4k/ar thing really (of course could wait for a higher res. 21.9 at some point....)
- text fringing is very much a non issue imo, can notice it if you look for it but you do have to be pixel peeping
- anti glare finish is great

And as we all know, it's got all the other usual advantages of oled i.e. superior motion, viewing angles etc.

As it, £750-850 and a "usable" monitor size, nothing can touch this imo so can see it staying for a long time, next upgrade for me will probably be 38" 21.9 but not in any rush now.

Also, this just shows how much contrast ratio and proper blacks makes to dark areas, don't have a comparison pic, maybe someone else can take one on their lcd though. Essentially on my ips, that back container part was completely black, no detail at all and just that area in general, I always had to turn the flashlight on to see where I was going (this is SDR mode too as DL 2 doesn't support hdr)

y4X3zNL.jpg

Have sent a service ticket now instead, annoying how character limit is 500 as can't add all the detail.....

@srekal34 any luck on the warranty front yet?
Hows the bright white uniformity during HDR if you don't mind my asking?

An issue with many of the CX/C1 panels were that you had like a grid/venetian blind effect going across the screen whenever you had a bright white screen under HDR. I've gotten used to it at this point on my 48 CX but I'm sincerely hoping it's not an issue on these monitors too. I found it more obnoxious than the dark grey banding if I'm honest!

Caporegime
Hows the bright white uniformity during HDR if you don't mind my asking?

An issue with many of the CX/C1 panels were that you had like a grid/venetian blind effect going across the screen whenever you had a bright white screen under HDR. I've gotten used to it at this point on my 48 CX but I'm sincerely hoping it's not an issue on these monitors too. I found it more obnoxious than the dark grey banding if I'm honest!

Is there a specific test I can try out?

Haven't noticed any kind of banding in any scenes so far though.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
One of my concerns was the brightness of hdr content with monitor being so close but hdr400 is quite comfortable.

Also, the bad thing with no matte coating to smudge/hide artefacts in the image is that now aliasing/shimmering etc. is even more noticeable in games. So FSR 1.0 is even more of a complete no go now :p

Yup screens like this are like really good speakers or headphones, a poorly mastered source content will be even more clearer on this lol as I've found on even some 2160p movies and stuff where the mastering just hasn't been up to scratch compared to other movies or games.

Cheers I installed and ticked the flicker protection which seems to be working pretty well.

When you turn off the PC, the monitor also turns off?

Just tried it and the monitor goes into standby mode when the PC powers off. I believe it then goes fully off (power LED no longer pulses) after x amount of time but not sure what that is.

LG e7 in technicolour preset (most accurate out of the box preset) and dell mon. just in default standard and HDR400 for HDR content since I'm not sure on settings yet till hdtvtest or tftcentral get their hands on it.

- no doubt dell is superior for uniformity and banding or rather lack of banding on 5-10% grey slides
- sharpness/clarity, I do think if you're a fan of 4k and all about pixels, you might find this a bit lacking but then it kind of comes down to a 21.9 vs 4k/ar thing really (of course could wait for a higher res. 21.9 at some point....)
- text fringing is very much a non issue imo, can notice it if you look for it but you do have to be pixel peeping

And as we all know, it's got all the other usual advantages of oled i.e. superior motion, viewing angles etc.

As it, £750-850 and a "usable" monitor size, nothing can touch this imo so can see it staying for a long time, next upgrade for me will probably be 38" 21.9 but not in any rush now.

Also, this just shows how much contrast ratio and proper blacks makes to dark areas, don't have a comparison pic, maybe someone else can take one on their lcd though. Essentially on my ips, that back container part was completely black, no detail at all and just that area in general, I always had to turn the flashlight on to see where I was going (this is SDR mode too as DL 2 doesn't support hdr)

Have sent a service ticket now instead, annoying how character limit is 500 as can't add all the detail.....

@srekal34 any luck on the warranty front yet?

Nice! Great isn't it?!

@mrk
What settings you using then? Particularly brightness and contrast?

Until DisplayCAL has a correction profile out to download and apply for proper calibration, I've reverted back to Creator mode and the sRGB colour space within it. That appears to be visually fine so I am happy to keep using that for however long it takes.

My brightness/contrast is 52 brightness and 65 contrast. Dark stabiliser 0, game enhancer off, Eco mode off. The manual says Eco mode off will stop the monitor going into standby mode, but even with it off I have found it goes into standby mode as dictated by my Windows power settings. Like if I lock the PC, then after 30 seconds or so on the lock screen the monitor will go into standby mode which is just as I want it to be, with or without Eco mode being on or off in the OSD. I just leave it off though as not sure what else it economises on.

Associate
Is there a specific test I can try out?

Haven't noticed any kind of banding in any scenes so far though.
In terms of non game ways to look at it on my CX 48 I can kinda force it by turning hdr on in windows, turning brightness up on the sdr content brightness and then using one of the rtings hdr test patterns that they use to measure panel brightness ( https://www.rtings.com/images/25pct.png ). You can kinda just see the panel isn't clean on my 48" with bright white hdr screens.

Not quite as noticeable as in game though. Ghost of Tsushima is a great example of a game that really shows it off in HDR, there's a weather type with a bright overcast sky and you can super easily see it by moving the camera up and down think that's definitely where it bothered me the most. Assassin's Creed Odyssey had it too if you looked at the sun and panned the camera up and down. Jedi Fallen Order too on one of the early planets when looking at the sky.

Some games I admittedly don't notice it though. I've been playing Elden Ring in HDR the past few weeks on it and I've not really noticed it at all to be honest.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/oled-screen-uniformity-discussion-banding-and-vignetting.2896737/ this thread has some test material in the opening post which may help as well

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

y4X3zNL.jpg

What.. You are now saying I may find it lacking if I like 4K sharpness/clarity? You got me worried now as before you said you did not think that would be an issue. Is the sharpness and clarity quite poor or something? How does it compare to your other ultrawide?

You know me, I always struggled to go back to 1440p as the sharpness and clarity was relatively poor. 4K just looks so much better to me. I am really hoping I get vowed by everything else this monitor has to offer that it does not bother me.

How are you finding HDR on it so far? How does it compare to you e7? Is it proper HDR?

I have for my oled wallpaper TV that originally cost me 7k.

It was a 2500 claim after excess and increased my contents by almost double from 100 to 200.
Yeah, thought as much. Basically only worth claiming on high value stuff that are at least 4 figures.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
4K sharpness/clarity is excellent, no different to other 34" 3440x1440 monitors I've used. The ppi is the same as them too of course given screen size vs resolution. Watching Hobbit and other 4K content the clarity is simply superb thanks to being OLED. The sharpness and detail is on par with any other 34" ultrawide.

Caporegime
Yup screens like this are like really good speakers or headphones, a poorly mastered source content will be even more clearer on this lol as I've found on even some 2160p movies and stuff where the mastering just hasn't been up to scratch compared to other movies or games.

Cheers I installed and ticked the flicker protection which seems to be working pretty well.

Nice! Great isn't it?!

Until DisplayCAL has a correction profile out to download and apply for proper calibration, I've reverted back to Creator mode and the sRGB colour space within it. That appears to be visually fine so I am happy to keep using that for however long it takes.

My brightness/contrast is 52 brightness and 65 contrast. Dark stabiliser 0, game enhancer off, Eco mode off. The manual says Eco mode off will stop the monitor going into standby mode, but even with it off I have found it goes into standby mode as dictated by my Windows power settings. Like if I lock the PC, then after 30 seconds or so on the lock screen the monitor will go into standby mode which is just as I want it to be, with or without Eco mode being on or off in the OSD. I just leave it off though as not sure what else it economises on.

Exactly, it's why I make sure anything I watch is UHD with a high bit rate etc. on the e7 now :p Game developers need to do better now! :D

It really is very good, tried most of my games now and it truly is a next gen difference in visuals. One things for sure, this is the end of lcd now, at least silly priced lcd displays anyway.....

Coming from a flat 34" to curved 34" is weird too, curved 34" feels smaller!

Thanks, will give them settings a shot. I presume that 52 brightness is 120 nits/luminance?

In terms of non game ways to look at it on my CX 48 I can kinda force it by turning hdr on in windows, turning brightness up on the sdr content brightness and then using one of the rtings hdr test patterns that they use to measure panel brightness ( https://www.rtings.com/images/25pct.png ). You can kinda just see the panel isn't clean on my 48" with bright white hdr screens.

Not quite as noticeable as in game though. Ghost of Tsushima is a great example of a game that really shows it off in HDR, there's a weather type with a bright overcast sky and you can super easily see it by moving the camera up and down think that's definitely where it bothered me the most. Assassin's Creed Odyssey had it too if you looked at the sun and panned the camera up and down. Jedi Fallen Order too on one of the early planets when looking at the sky.

Some games I admittedly don't notice it though. I've been playing Elden Ring in HDR the past few weeks on it and I've not really noticed it at all to be honest.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/oled-screen-uniformity-discussion-banding-and-vignetting.2896737/ this thread has some test material in the opening post which may help as well though it's mixed in with test material for the dark grey banding issues too.

I think I know what you mean now as I also notice it on the e7 in some scenarios, blue sky/sunset scenes in particular (which kind of ties in with the banding on the 5/10% grey slides too), can't say I have noticed it on this so far.

What.. You are now saying I may find it lacking if I like 4K sharpness/clarity? You got me worried now as before you said you did not think that would be an issue. Is the sharpness and clarity quite poor or something? How does it compare to your other ultrawide?

You know me, I always struggled to go back to 1440p as the sharpness and clarity was relatively poor. 4K just looks so much better to me. I am really hoping I get vowed by everything else this monitor has to offer that it does not bother me.

How are you finding HDR on it so far? How does it compare to you e7? Is it proper HDR?

Yeah, thought as much. Basically only worth claiming on high value stuff that are at least 4 figures.

If you're as picky as what I think you might be when it comes to 4k snobbery.... possibly :p

But it's very clear and sharp looking on the whole, compared to my ips 34", definitely more clarity due to the lack of matte coating, which is why shimmering and aliasing is a bit more noticeable now.

Defo proper HDR, absolutely fantastic for it using HDR400.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
4K sharpness/clarity is excellent, no different to other 34" 3440x1440 monitors I've used. The ppi is the same as them too of course given screen size vs resolution. Watching Hobbit and other 4K content the clarity is simply superb thanks to being OLED. The sharpness and detail is on par with any other 34" ultrawide.
I do not mean 4K content being used on the display. I mean vs 4K monitor.

Worth asking is, how far away is your eyes from the monitor? For me it is about 1 foot, max one and a half from my 27” monitor. Hence I see all the extra details 4K has to offer and see a big difference between 1440p and 4K.

I remember having a debate about it with Gregster many year ago and he would say he could not see the difference between 4K and 1440p. Turned out he sit 4 foot away from his monitor!! No wonder lol.

Exactly, it's why I make sure anything I watch is UHD with a high bit rate etc. on the e7 now :p Game developers need to do better now! :D

It really is very good, tried most of my games now and it truly is a next gen difference in visuals. One things for sure, this is the end of lcd now, at least silly priced lcd displays anyway.....

Coming from a flat 34" to curved 34" is weird too, curved 34" feels smaller!

Thanks, will give them settings a shot. I presume that 52 brightness is 120 nits/luminance?

I think I know what you mean now as I also notice it on the e7 in some scenarios, blue sky/sunset scenes in particular (which kind of ties in with the banding on the 5/10% grey slides too), can't say I have noticed it on this so far.

If you're as picky as what I think you might be when it comes to 4k snobbery.... possibly :p

But it's very clear and sharp looking on the whole, compared to my ips 34", definitely more clarity due to the lack of matte coating, which is why shimmering and aliasing is a bit more noticeable now.

Defo proper HDR, absolutely fantastic for it using HDR400.
Believe me, it is not snobbery man. I wish it was not the case, but I see what I see. How many feet away do you sit from this monitor. Measure from your eyes please, that is what I did.

Great to hear about the HDR :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh if I am watching stuff then am sat back so probably 2-3 feet away max. I'm only around 1-2 foot away if watching youtube or editing or posting etc.

Those values are targeting 100cd/m2 for white luminance which I find nice and eye friendly for all content in all lighting conditions. You could increase the brightness more but whites will be more eye burning especially in a dim room.

Caporegime
I do not mean 4K content being used on the display. I mean vs 4K monitor.

Worth asking is, how far away is your eyes from the monitor? For me it is about 1 foot, max one and a half from my 27” monitor. Hence I see all the extra details 4K has to offer and see a big difference between 1440p and 4K.

I remember having a debate about it with Gregster many year ago and he would say he could not see the difference between 4K and 1440p. Turned out he sit 4 foot away from his monitor!! No wonder lol.

Believe me, it is not snobbery man. I wish it was not the case, but I see what I see. How many feet away do you sit from this monitor. Measure from your eyes please, that is what I did.

Great to hear about the HDR :D

Haha I remember that! Wonder where he is lately, guessing with not being able to get ampere due to stock and prices, it has left him a bit miserable :p

Just over 2 feet viewing distance.

That's why I said you might find it of as you were using 27" 4k, which has a stupidly high ppi.

Given this is a much wider display, you should be sitting a bit further back to really enjoy the extra size/wideness so that along with no matte coating might counteract the lesser res/ppi.

Those values are targeting 100cd/m2 for white luminance which I find nice and eye friendly for all content in all lighting conditions. You could increase the brightness more but whites will be more eye burning especially in a dim room.

I'm the same, more than 120 nits and it kills my eyes, people are always amazed at how "dull" my display looks when they first see it but once they get used to it, they prefer it :p

Back
Top Bottom