World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
In a financial position to get this but don't want to wait 2 months for it, I'd even settle for a refurb unit at this point if it had no defects :D

I had a 2 month wait time given to me when I placed the order, but it came after a month. Now the wait times are saying around a month on their website.

Associate
3070ti is pretty much on par with a 6800 (possibly slightly faster in some games and obviously in raytracing). I find my 6800 perfectly adequate with this monitor - sure I don't always hit the full 175fps, but because of the instant pixel response it feels a lot faster anyway.

If you're not dead set on upgrading/hitting the max performance, then I'd wait and see how the 3070ti performs before worrying about it :)

As long as I am over 60fps then I am cool! 100+ is a bonus.

I am a while away from getting this anyway, be probably after Christmas.

Last edited:
Soldato
At current settings right? Not against dropping from ultra > high etc

Sorry, should have been 1/3rd, not 30%, but yes, 3440x1440 is ~34% more pixels than 2560x1440, so going to lose ~34% performance.

It's not going to be exact due to the interactions between the rest of the hardware, but that's rough indicator, so e.g. if you're currently getting 100fps, then you'll drop down to around 65fps etc.

Soldato
Sorry, should have been 1/3rd, not 30%, but yes, 3440x1440 is ~34% more pixels than 2560x1440, so going to lose ~34% performance.

It's not going to be exact due to the interactions between the rest of the hardware, but that's rough indicator, so e.g. if you're currently getting 100fps, then you'll drop down to around 65fps etc.

Closer to 75fps with those numbers... 34% more pixels does not equal 34% less frames because the amount of pixels is the denominator in the equation. (ie you have GPU Power/Pixels = Framerate)

If you want to check my maths though; just use the numbers you provided.

2560*1440*100 = 368 million pixels per second
3440*1440*75 = 371 million pixels per second; using 74 frames gives 366 mil. Using your 65frames would give 321 million pixels per second

Last edited:
Caporegime

Alienware QD-OLED monitor picks open standards over G-Sync, is $200 cheaper

The 34.18-inch AW3423DWF and AW3423DW's specs sheets match closely, including 3440×1440 resolution, an 1800R curve, 99.3 percent DCI-P3 and 149 percent sRGB color coverage, up to a 165 Hz refresh rate via DisplayPort and 100 Hz via HDMI 2.0, and 0.1ms gray-to-gray (GtG) response time.

But while the AW3423DW uses G-Sync Ultimate, which confirms 1,000 nits' brightness with HDR in addition to fighting screen tears when paired with an Nvidia GPU, the new AW3423DWF uses AMD's FreeSync Premium Pro and VESA's AdaptiveSync standards.

Due to oleds instant pixel response time, this one should perform very similar (variable pixel response feature of the gsync module is more beneficial for LCD).

Alienware also claims the new monitor will be easier to mount than the prior one, thanks to a slimmer profile. The AW3423DWF is 5 inches deep without the stand versus the AW3423DW's 5.4 inches.

Suspect there will still be a fan for the monitor? Just 1 less since no gsync module.

All in all, for what I and others paid, our gsync ones will still have worked out cheaper unless there will be some good stacking of vouchers and delays to be had with this one too :p

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

Alienware QD-OLED monitor picks open standards over G-Sync, is $200 cheaper

Due to oleds instant pixel response time, this one should perform very similar (variable pixel response feature of the gsync module is more beneficial for LCD).

Suspect there will still be a fan for the monitor? Just 1 less since no gsync module.

All in all, for what I and others paid, our gsync ones will still have worked out cheaper unless there will be some good stacking of vouchers and delays to be had with this one too :p
It will def have a fan, but that fan that "breathes" - The gsync fan is always on and the one that is audible all the time. The panel's fan will still be there no doubt but it's not always on so this fine by me.

VRR is supported still fully so there is that I guess.

I think I'd swap!

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty cool they are offering a non G-Sync version but I would've liked to have seen them sort out orders and stock levels on their existing QD-OLED before introducing another SKU that will make those 1-2 month wait times even longer.

Indeed it was strange that they released a cheaper SKU when the more expensive one is backordered by 6 weeks. I expect stock levels going to increase quite significantly in the coming weeks, otherwise this makes no sense.

Soldato
Indeed it was strange that they released a cheaper SKU when the more expensive one is backordered by 6 weeks. I expect stock levels going to increase quite significantly in the coming weeks, otherwise this makes no sense.

Yep, I was considering getting the G-Sync version but I'm not waiting 4-8 weeks, That's ridiculous as the US is getting priority over the EU and UK. Friend of mine in Utah ordered his 1 week ago and it was delivered yesterday, Another friend of mine in the states ordered his 1 month ago and got it 2 weeks later. The UK and EU are an after thought.

Back
Top Bottom