World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'm in the same boat as you. I also received my monitor same day as you, same firmware/build etc. I had to reinstall my nvidia drivers and it did not install any of the alienware software. Not even a colour profile. I found some marring on the display too but came off easy with microfibre.

I'm using 52 brightness and 68 contrast. sRGB and gamma 2.4, and switch to HDR for gaming - great display! I returned my C1 42 OLED, much prefer this monitor.
The fan noise for me is negligible, had to put my ear over the top to hear it. I very much like that when I ignore the pixel refresher prompt, it does the pixel shift once I'm done with the monitor, I hit the off button and it does it then. All in all - no complaints, very happy with it!

@mrk When switching to HDR, do you adjust the SDR brightness before launching a game/watching HDR content? Do you find Auto HDR works well?

The SDR brightness slider is set to 20 for me, it's not perfect but close enough so that SDR stuff looks not far off what it does in SDR mode. I do not use Auto HDR though as the description of it seems to refer to automatically converting SDR to HDR in games that don't have native HDR support which is not something I am interested in!

Have you disabled automatic driver updates?

Hmm could swear I had this disabled, maybe it got turned back on with 22H2? It is now off (again) lol ta.

Soldato
Hmm could swear I had this disabled, maybe it got turned back on with 22H2? It is now off (again) lol ta.
I guess we would need some scripts scheduled to run at least at every start up to make sure settings stay as what we want.

Would have never believed that I would miss Gates at helm of Microsoft.
But modern MS is far less user friendly with all these forced changing of all things.

Reactions: mrk
Soldato
It’s not that it’s loud, it’s just audible. It’s more that fans have a shelf life, and it constantly being on is madness. It’s been on all today, although I do have eco mode off

Does yours do the breathing on/off thing like I posted here? https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...trawide-175hz.18945041/page-266#post-35847031

I'm just sat in windows doing stuff and the monitor starts sounding like it's sighing, it's not extremely loud, but the ramp on/off of the fan several times with short gaps is more annoying than just having the fan always on at low RPM.

Associate
Is there anyway to do a panel refresh if the pc is turned off? I cannot access the settings menu, only the menu to select DP/HDMI port.

Mine does. I've found that if you ignore the prompt, it will go away by itself. Then when I'm done and shut down the PC, I switch off the monitor and it does the pixel refresh then.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You do not need to do a panel refresh manually. Panel refresh will prompt the same way as pixel refresh. It will only prompt every 1500 hours or so though so you should see one every 2-3 months. I saw two panel refreshes on my previous ones. If your PC is off, then the counter will still go up, so when the monitor is next turned on, the prompt will show up.

Associate
Does yours do the breathing on/off thing like I posted here? https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...trawide-175hz.18945041/page-266#post-35847031

I'm just sat in windows doing stuff and the monitor starts sounding like it's sighing, it's not extremely loud, but the ramp on/off of the fan several times with short gaps is more annoying than just having the fan always on at low RPM.
Yeah mine does that. I dunno why manufacturers do that kind of a fan curve. My Steam Deck does it too, I'd rather it just be a consistent hum than it sounding like it's breathing, lol.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Happens with GFX cards too. My 2070 Super had exactly that, the moment there was a core temp spike the fans suddenly spun up and then back down again a second later. The exact same breathing effect but on a much louder level since it was a triple fan GPU. I had to use the nvidia tuner software to have a custom fan curve that only spun the fans at sustained gaming temps so they remained in off states when not gaming.

Soldato
Happens with GFX cards too. My 2070 Super had exactly that, the moment there was a core temp spike the fans suddenly spun up and then back down again a second later. The exact same breathing effect but on a much louder level since it was a triple fan GPU. I had to use the nvidia tuner software to have a custom fan curve that only spun the fans at sustained gaming temps so they remained in off states when not gaming.

Difference being you can edit the GPU fan profile, you can't edit the monitor one!

Soldato
This is the same as the fan noise I mentioned, the on/off sounds like breathing thing.

You have to turn your volume way up to hear it, but it's very noticeable and I can hear it from a normal distance away with some other stuff running.

I never heard this on the original one, so there is some sort of strange underlying difference.

Pops in every now and then, repeats the on/off back and forth in bursrs for a time. Seems most likely to come in on desktop use on a lighter image like a mainly white website.

Argh - my monitor has just started doing this today... not sure why today since it's probably the coldest it's been since I got the monitor, but my god it's annoying :mad:

It sounds exactly like someone breathing on the other end of a baby monitor (in fact that's what I thought it was at first! :p )

Last edited:
Soldato
Argh - my monitor has just started doing this today... not sure why today since it's probably the coldest it's been since I got the monitor, but my god it's annoying :mad:

It sounds exactly like someone breathing on the other end of a baby monitor (in fact that's what I thought it was at first! :p )

Yes it's the main fly in the ointment, if that is the right term. I don't even know what the fan ramp up and down is achieving as it can't be controlling temps well.

Back
Top Bottom