World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
It comes in and out, and when it does it it doesn't just do it once, pulses a few times at least before stopping.

Yeah, it was doing it long enough for me to hear it through my headphones (open back), check the baby monitor wasn't on, check I didn't have any strange videos/ads playing in the background of any tabs, and finally track it down to the monitor, so a good few minutes

Associate
Update from Dell in relation to the fan rattling mine has developed. They have offered me a AW3821DW, which I've refused as this is what I moved from. Oddly they said the AW3423DW is no longer available, a bit odd as showing a October delivery window. I responded challenging their response adding that I would happily wait for new stock to arrive. Nothing back as yet as seem to take 5 hours to respond to each email I send.
So the replacement arrived today. Dell would not budge on swapping for a new unit only refurbished.
They did offer a full refund but given the huge discount I received and no other monitors I'm interested in I just ended up going for the refurbished route so it's still covered under the original warranty.
So far all looks good, the manufacture date is August 2022 and has the latest firmware. Working joystick and no dead pixels, only used it for 10 minutes so not had a chance to hear the fan.
The replacement arrived in an original box with all the accessories, although I had to do the exchange at the same time, so I just switched the monitors over as I didn't want to keep the UPS guy waiting.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If it was refurbished then it would not be stamped as made in August , also you'd be able to tell if it was a refurb as there would be signs around the internal packaging and monitor itself. You've got a new one like me, the dell support person probably has no idea and is referring to some other model.

Associate
If it was refurbished then it would not be stamped as made in August , also you'd be able to tell if it was a refurb as there would be signs around the internal packaging and monitor itself. You've got a new one like me, the dell support person probably has no idea and is referring to some other model.
Interesting, nothing to suggest it is a refurbished unit around the monitor, I was just going by what they told me. Probably should have taken the calibration sheet.
If it is new don't know why they gave me the run around?

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Customer support is rarely ever on the ball with stuff like this, Dell have a dedicated technical team who work behind the scenes with these replacements, frontline customer service that was actually deal with handle the admin side and work off their script.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
3070 Ti is only a bit more powerful than my old card a 2070 Super, but was not enough to warrant upgrading to hence why after a lot of research I got the 3080 Ti as the performance gap was considerably bigger. If you can get a 3090 around a 3080 Ti price then go for that, thought in games like Cyberpunk, the 3080 Ti is within 10fps apart in pure raster performance anyway at 4K going by comparisons on youtube.

I can see that you can get a 3090 through Nvidia within £50 variance of a 3080 Ti, and a 3090 Ti is about 3100-£150 more at around £1149.

You won't need a new PSU with a 3090 upgrade, you likely will with a 3090 Ti.

I'd wait a few weeks and see where prices get to with this 40 series launch.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Can anyone test using the Windows 11 black screen screensaver for me? My screen does a bright white flash every time it comes on.
Gif/vid? I've been using the black screen one from day 1, it immediately goes to black screen, and immediately comes back to normal if I tap a key or move the mouse.

Associate
3070 Ti is a bit more powerful than my old card a 3070 Super, but was not enough to warrant upgrading to hence why after a lot of research I got the 3080 Ti as the performance gap was considerably bigger. If you can get a 3090 around a 3080 Ti price then go for that, thought in games like Cyberpunk, the 3080 Ti is within 10fps apart in pure raster performance anyway at 4K going by comparisons on youtube.

I can see that you can get a 3090 through Nvidia within £50 variance of a 3080 Ti, and a 3090 Ti is about 3100-£150 more at around £1149.

You won't need a new PSU with a 3090 upgrade, you likely will with a 3090 Ti.

I'd wait a few weeks and see where prices get to with this 40 series launch.

I have an 850w EVGA PSU but it's knocking on now at 7 years old... I'll stick with the 3070Ti for the time being and as you say check prices after the 4xxx hit the market.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Is there a new stock delay too?!
I have an 850w EVGA PSU but it's knocking on now at 7 years old... I'll stick with the 3070Ti for the time being and as you say check prices after the 4xxx hit the market.
Corrected a typo in my post, said 3070 Super lol, meant to say the 3070 Ti was only a tad better in perf than my 2070 Super at 3440x1440 and didn't warrant the change, the biggest change came from the 3080 Ti (or greater) of course.

Associate

Excuse the low quality.

Soldato
Does yours do the breathing on/off thing like I posted here? https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...trawide-175hz.18945041/page-266#post-35847031

I'm just sat in windows doing stuff and the monitor starts sounding like it's sighing, it's not extremely loud, but the ramp on/off of the fan several times with short gaps is more annoying than just having the fan always on at low RPM.
No, the new one doesn’t, it’s continuous. My first one did though, but it was extra annoying because either the fan was knackered, or it was fouling the case as it moved. Sounded like a tractor

Soldato
Just wondering, how will my 3070Ti cope with this? Should I be looking to trade up towards a 3090?

3070ti is pretty much on par with a 6800 (possibly slightly faster in some games and obviously in raytracing). I find my 6800 perfectly adequate with this monitor - sure I don't always hit the full 175fps, but because of the instant pixel response it feels a lot faster anyway.

If you're not dead set on upgrading/hitting the max performance, then I'd wait and see how the 3070ti performs before worrying about it :)

Back
Top Bottom