World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
I use a small program called AutoActions: https://github.com/Codectory/AutoActions

05Gu0ar.jpg.png

It allows you to specify games which do not automatically switch to HDR mode, then it will automatically switch HDR mode on when you run the game and off again when you close the game. You don't need to launch the game through the app so not sure why there is a 'launch application' button. Once you've added the games it just sits in the system tray and does its thing when it needs to.

I never understood Github. Where is the actual executable?

Soldato
I have been looking at the AW3423DW, and my one remaining little concern is the number of hours my monitor is on! It's on, oh, say 12 hours per day. At least. Is burn in a concern with that amount of time on?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have been looking at the AW3423DW, and my one remaining little concern is the number of hours my monitor is on! It's on, oh, say 12 hours per day. At least. Is burn in a concern with that amount of time on?
As long as the pixel refreshes run on time then in theory there should be no problem. Plus we have 3 years burn in warranty to make use of.

Soldato

Depends what it's displaying. If you've got it at max brightness on the same image then that might be an issue. If it's at a more reasonable level of brightness with constantly changing content then no problem at all. Mine has been on probably a similar number of hours since I got it in April, ~8 hours of work and then a few hours of gaming in the evening, and so far no sign of burn-in (touch wood!)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No profile, the colour profiles screen in Windows (both user and global areas) are empty.

Creator mode, SRGB, 2.4 gamma = Perfectly accurate for 99% of uses. I use mine t edit my photography mostly

Associate

Depends what it's displaying. If you've got it at max brightness on the same image then that might be an issue. If it's at a more reasonable level of brightness with constantly changing content then no problem at all. Mine has been on probably a similar number of hours since I got it in April, ~8 hours of work and then a few hours of gaming in the evening, and so far no sign of burn-in (touch wood!)
Yeah same here, mines usually on that amount of time and sometimes I forget to turn the screen off to let it do its thing. Not seen any burn in yet, touch wood.

Think I've got the brightness set to around 40.

Soldato
OP
No profile, the colour profiles screen in Windows (both user and global areas) are empty.

Creator mode, SRGB, 2.4 gamma = Perfectly accurate for 99% of uses. I use mine t edit my photography mostly

Just an FYI for people - do not copy other peoples gamma setting unless you are also using their brightness. This monitor's gamma curve changes with brightness - so a gamma of 2.4 looks very different depending on what your brightness setting is on

I have my brightness on 25 and find gamma 2.4 looks ways too dark, 2.2 looks good for me. Gamma 2.4 appears to require a brightness setting of 50 or higher to look goood.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
^ For ref, mentioned before but my brightness is 53 and contrast at 66. In HDR mode the HDR controls the brightness, so this is specifically for SDR/desktop use.

Soldato

Yeah same here, mines usually on that amount of time and sometimes I forget to turn the screen off to let it do its thing. Not seen any burn in yet, touch wood.

Think I've got the brightness set to around 40.

Just an FYI for people - do not copy other peoples gamma setting unless you are also using their brightness. This monitor's gamma curve changes with brightness - so a gamma of 2.4 looks very different depending on what your brightness setting is on

I have my brightness on 25 and find gamma 2.4 looks ways too dark, 2.2 looks good for me. Gamma 2.4 appears to require a brightness setting of 50 or higher to look goood.

Thank you for the replies.

I have an Alienware at the moment (not the AW3423DW) and the brightness is set to 25. This is because the room I am in is north facing and there are even trees twenty feet from the window! So it's pretty low light in here.

In passing, does reducing the brightness affect the quality of HDR while gaming?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you for the replies.

I have an Alienware at the moment (not the AW3423DW) and the brightness is set to 25. This is because the room I am in is north facing and there are even trees twenty feet from the window! So it's pretty low light in here.

In passing, does reducing the brightness affect the quality of HDR while gaming?

If I understand correctly, when it switches to HDR, the brightness will be controlled by the software anyway (I might be wrong :p)

Either way, it's face-meltingly bright in HDR, even when I have it set to 75/75

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh, and in passing, I see that the Freesync version of the monitor, the AW3423DWF, is available a two weeks before the Black Friday sale that Dell told me to wait for (it's so difficult to be patient!). It will be interesting to see if that has any substantial affect on the price of the AW3423DW. My guess is the Freesync is going to be instantly in demand which may well be good for the price of the AW3423DW.

Last edited:
Associate
This has just turned up, it's stunning! I've not changed anything settings wise just yet. Just a quick question, I fired up COD MW2 campaign, I changed the HDR mode to 1000 from HDR 400 which I am using for desktop mode. Is this the right way to do it?

Back
Top Bottom