World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Watched a recent review of this which shows some mrtics vs other gaming 240Hz monitors, the outcome is as you'd expect, good review though:

Worth noting
His section at 8:11 shows the dimming in the desktop, this is a non-issue because you wouldn't and shouldn't be in HDR mode on the desktop anyway, only when playing HDR games or watching HDR movies, which means you won't be in the desktop anyway. When not doing those things, always keep it in non HDR mode. In SDR mode there is no dimming, as my GIF posted earlier demonstrates doing basically the exact test his video at 8:11 shows. just the opposite way round. But even still, I did the exact same test just now and saw zero dimming in SDR on the desktop.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Still to be confirmed it seems,

"We believe the removal of the G-sync module will also negate the need for active cooling fans that were featured in the existing model, but this remains to be confirmed"

Fingers crossed it won't have one.

Some version of these panels may not have fans. For example it looks like the Samsung version doesn't have a fan for cooling, but the Samsung panel has a lower refresh rate and lower brightness so make of that as you will

Last edited:
Soldato
Some version of these panels may not have fans. For example it looks like the Samsung version doesn't have a fan for cooling, but the Samsung panel has a lower refresh rate and lower brightness so make of that as you will

The audible fan is the g-sync fan. All g-sync ultimate displays have it and it runs all the time, even when the PC is in standby. This is the fan that bugs people because it makes a very faint hissing sound which some people are more sensitive to than others.

The other fan Dell is using is for keeping the OLED cool and likely the reason they offer 3yr burn-in warranty. This fan is extremely silent and TBH I'd rather have a fan keeping the OLED that little bit cooler for peace of mind, especially if it is silent like people claim it is. I imagine they would continue using this fan in the Freesync version.

Last edited:
Soldato
The audible fan is the g-sync fan. All g-sync ultimate displays have it and it runs all the time, even when the PC is in standby. This is the fan that bugs people because it makes a very faint hissing sound which some people are more sensitive to than others.

The other fan Dell is using is for keeping the OLED cool and likely the reason they offer 3yr burn-in warranty. This fan is extremely silent and TBH I'd rather have a fan keeping the OLED that little bit cooler for peace of mind, especially if it is silent like people claim it is. I imagine they would continue using this fan in the Freesync version.
I see, so it's unlikely the Freesync version will be any different. That's answered a very important question for me.

I already have a LCD monitor with G-Sync ultimate and I couldn't understand why people were complaining about noise, since it's very quiet. Now I understand!!!!

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It will be different as there's no constant fan active like the gsync module fan is which is the always audible part of the fan. The panel fan is much quieter and barely a whisper until it does its breathing thing every so often (some days not at all).

Playing some more Plague Tale 2 yesterday and this part of the game was an OLED showcase for sure with HDR especially.

OLED_APT2_lair.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched a recent review of this which shows some mrtics vs other gaming 240Hz monitors, the outcome is as you'd expect, good review though:

Worth noting
His section at 8:11 shows the dimming in the desktop, this is a non-issue because you wouldn't and shouldn't be in HDR mode on the desktop anyway, only when playing HDR games or watching HDR movies, which means you won't be in the desktop anyway. When not doing those things, always keep it in non HDR mode. In SDR mode there is no dimming, as my GIF posted earlier demonstrates doing basically the exact test his video at 8:11 shows. just the opposite way round. But even still, I did the exact same test just now and saw zero dimming in SDR on the desktop.

I presume that doing that also reduces the risk of burn-in.

And I don't see the point in HDR in normal Windows anyway.

The only real problem is having to switch between the two when you play a game. I wonder if the Alienware gaming app can switch it automatically?

Soldato
It will be different as there's no constant fan active like the gsync module fan is which is the always audible part of the fan. The panel fan is much quieter and barely a whisper until it does its breathing thing every so often (some days not at all).

Playing some more Plague Tale 2 yesterday and this part of the game was an OLED showcase for sure with HDR especially.

OLED_APT2_lair.jpg

Are you sure about that? I have a G-Sync ultimate and I can't hear it at all - unless I hold my ear next to the back of the monitor. It's certainly not loud.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I presume that doing that also reduces the risk of burn-in.

And I don't see the point in HDR in normal Windows anyway.

The only real problem is having to switch between the two when you play a game. I wonder if the Alienware gaming app can switch it automatically?
Doubt it, some games (I have played at least 3) will automatically remember the HDR setting and activate the Windows HDR mode when you launch the game, and exit it when you quit the game. Much like how all HDR movie files will auto launch HDR mode in MPC-BE when launched with the MPC Video Renderer enabled. Most other games need you to turn HDR on in Windows first, and some won't even show HDR in GFX settings as an option until you do (Uncharted being a prime example).

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Are you sure about that? I have a G-Sync ultimate and I can't hear it at all - unless I hold my ear next to the back of the monitor. It's certainly not loud.
I can only speak from pinpointing where the loudest fan noise is coming from, and it's the left side looking head on at the monitor which is where the Gsync module is. When the other fan does the breathing thing, that sound comes from more central to the panel at the back.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yup, I can't hear a peep from my monitor - even with my ear close to it it's just a barely audible fzzzzzzzz of the fan; even with my PC off (which makes the most ambient noise) at normal seated distance I can't hear the monitor. Guess we won the fan lottery?

Soldato
I can only speak from pinpointing where the loudest fan noise is coming from, and it's the left side looking head on at the monitor which is where the Gsync module is. When the other fan does the breathing thing, that sound comes from more central to the panel at the back.

I guess we will have to wait and see how the Freesync version is then.

Although I already have G-Sync ultimate, I am worried about the noise the AW3423DW makes. I guess I shouldn't be, I mean my PC is never completely quiet and that doesn't bother me, but it's a lot of money to spend and then find out you have a problem.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
As mentioned though, it's not distracting, it's just ambient noise, like living on a main road, you're always aware that traffic is going past outside but it's never a distraction, it's just "ambience".

For me having a totally silent PC (until the RTX spools up in a game) means I hear the tiniest whisper though.

Soldato

Doubt it, some games (I have played at least 3) will automatically remember the HDR setting and activate the Windows HDR mode when you launch the game, and exit it when you quit the game. Much like how all HDR movie files will auto launch HDR mode in MPC-BE when launched with the MPC Video Renderer enabled. Most other games need you to turn HDR on in Windows first, and some won't even show HDR in GFX settings as an option until you do (Uncharted being a prime example).

I use a small program called AutoActions: https://github.com/Codectory/AutoActions

05Gu0ar.jpg.png

It allows you to specify games which do not automatically switch to HDR mode, then it will automatically switch HDR mode on when you run the game and off again when you close the game. You don't need to launch the game through the app so not sure why there is a 'launch application' button. Once you've added the games it just sits in the system tray and does its thing when it needs to.

Associate
May have to give some of my games a chance to see if they activate HDR automatically upon launch, as I always switch to HDR myself before I launch the game.

I use a small program called AutoActions: https://github.com/Codectory/AutoActions

05Gu0ar.jpg.png

It allows you to specify games which do not automatically switch to HDR mode, then it will automatically switch HDR mode on when you run the game and off again when you close the game. You don't need to launch the game through the app so not sure why there is a 'launch application' button. Once you've added the games it just sits in the system tray and does its thing when it needs to.

If not I'll definitely give this a go, thanks

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The Capcom games for sure do, Doom Eternal does as will other id Tech games I suspect due to id just being great with engines anyway. there were some others that I played that did too but I cannot remember the names as I went through a bunch of games in my STEAM library recently just to see what they're like on OLED lol.

Basically there were more that did than what I was expecting, which was nice. But still too many that don't!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom