World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don't like that the Phillips one has a silver frame and bezel which will be visible in dim lighting in front of you :( SHould be al black at the front.
Do you notice much or any dimming with HDR1000? I noticed it a fair amount in NMS I think so I've kept it on 400 since then.
Not noticed any diming have to say, but I am in 144Hz mode where any flickering/dimming as previously mentioned is not noticeable. I don't know what game NMS is though, but if there's a section in PLague Tale, Uncharted, Days Gone or Doom Eternal where it is obvious then happy to try it out there.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Update, so someone elsewhere linked to a HDR Youtube link which I played in Edge as that only supports HDR on Windows 11 it seems, anyway the purpose was to see how ABL behaves in relation to APL and this demonstrates it well.

I should add that in the games I have played and the media I have watched, this has not been noticed as I have yet to come across a game that I play or a movie that I've watched where the HDR section of a frame is so large that it takes over say half of the screen space resulting in any dimming.

The example below is Ocarina of Time PC port running a HDR mod, when Link goes to the fairy's fountain, the water area is very bright and consumes most of the lower screen resulting in the HUD elements at the top dimming slightly, not in a harsh way but softly. Without looking for it, you'd not notice, and it's only amplified by repeatedly going back and forth to the fountain area in this way in full screen.

So yep, there is some ABL, but it is not a deal breaker as it does not "step" down to dim but softly dims so it's more subtle - But as mentioned, it is not something I have encountered in games or media I have played for the above reason.

I did also switch to HDR True Black 400 mode and watched the same clip and noticed that the ABL is virtually non existent in this mode, the pool remains bright even when Link is right in the fountain. I think I will play some more in HDR 400 and see if I notice any visual differences in the same games I have put many hours into the last couple of weeks in HDR Peak 1000 but given the above thoughts, I don't think I will notice any mayor differences.

Would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts if they too have tried stuff like this out!

Caporegime
I would stick to hdr1000 as that is what all the experts such as vincent, tftcentral, pcmonitors have stated to use to ensure best hdr experience.

Uncharted is phenomenal on this monitor, one of the best for hdr:

cl8YXY9.jpg

nDh0CM6.jpg

Scenes like the below just show how much an infinite contrast combined with hdr really makes to image, photos just don't do it justice:

xE4vUN3.jpg

0angeaO.jpg

Combined with a constant 100+ fps, all in all, a great experience.

Would have love some ray tracing in this though, mainly GI, shadows or/and AO as notice so many of rasterization side effects where everything almost seems like it is floating and not grounded properly, light bleeding and illuminating areas when it shouldn't be and so on.

Reactions: mrk
Associate
I would stick to hdr1000 as that is what all the experts such as vincent, tftcentral, pcmonitors have stated to use to ensure best hdr experience.

Uncharted is phenomenal on this monitor, one of the best for hdr:

cl8YXY9.jpg

nDh0CM6.jpg

Scenes like the below just show how much an infinite contrast combined with hdr really makes to image, photos just don't do it justice:

xE4vUN3.jpg

0angeaO.jpg

Combined with a constant 100+ fps, all in all, a great experience.

Would have love some ray tracing in this though, mainly GI, shadows or/and AO as notice so many of rasterization side effects where everything almost seems like it is floating and not grounded properly, light bleeding and illuminating areas when it shouldn't be and so on.

That looks awesome! Uncharted and Plague definitely on my list of games to buy too

Associate
Yup HDR 1000 for me too. Vincents video example shows the difference really well on Halo between the 2 HDR settings. The clouds are night and day difference.

Soldato
No it's not?

Unless the price changed. I paid 850 pounds for my aw34

They are both £1099. Not really an apples and oranges comparison anyway let's face it. Good example of one of those posts I should have left as a thought lol.

ive read that 55"s are produced a lot so they are actually cheaper to produce than you might think.

Yeah I get that. Same reason the 42" oleds were more expensive than 48/55 initially.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've got a couple annoying issues with my alienware.

The 1st issue is that about 30% of the time when I turn on HDR in windows the screen will just go completely black and then the monitor will turn off after a while. Using the shortcut keys to go back to SDR doesn't make the image return, the only solution is to restart the PC.
This doesn't happen at all on my LG C9 TV when I enable HDR, only happens on the alienware.

Does anyone else have this?

Secondly, I've only had the monitor for 6 and a half weeks and the 1500 hour panel refresh message just came on. The problem is I haven't even had the monitor for 1500 hours, even if I used it 24 hours a day it would take 8 and a half weeks to get to 1500 hours so what happened?
I use the monitor on average 8 hours a day, so the panel refresh should take 6 months to appear, this means the time counter is seriously broken. I think I'll just manually run the refresh once every 6 months instead?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Never had that on mine and I frequently switch between sdr and hdr using win + alt + b

IIRC, it's a bug, timer still counts even when pc is off unless you are turning your monitor of by the mains or/and have eco turned on (which allows the monitor to go fully into standby). I don't think it will make a big impact to the panel if you run it now or a couple months later (which is what I did)

Has this been mentioned on here?,

"Dell have recently announced an alternative version of their popular AW3423DW QD-OLED monitor (reviewed) with some trimmed down features and a lower price point. The AW3423DWF (the same model number but with an “F” on the end) is based on the exact same 34″ ultrawide QD-OLED panel, with a largely very similar spec and feature set. There are a few changes as discussed below, along with a slightly lower price point."

I'm assuming this won't have a fan due to no g-synch module so could be a good alternative for those that want a quiet monitor, supports VRR @ 48-165Hz and LFC for <48Hz.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Already confirmed by the firmware update for it, it will have one fan:

Alienware QD-OLED monitor picks open standards over G-Sync, is $200 cheaper

Due to oleds instant pixel response time, this one should perform very similar (variable pixel response feature of the gsync module is more beneficial for LCD).

Suspect there will still be a fan for the monitor? Just 1 less since no gsync module.

All in all, for what I and others paid, our gsync ones will still have worked out cheaper unless there will be some good stacking of vouchers and delays to be had with this one too :p

Back
Top Bottom