World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You shouldn't be using HDR on the desktop, Windows doesn't do HDR very well and colours and things will be off as a result anyway as well as luminance and black levels.

Have HDR on during games that use it or videos, have it off for everything else.

All settings etc have been mentioned already earlier.

Associate
Righto. Can I leave the monitor on HDR 1000 and then just turn on HDR from windows when required? Ideally I want to be doing less fiddling each time I want to use HDR! I will take a look at the image settings people recommend and see how I fair.

Mobster
Soldato
Righto. Can I leave the monitor on HDR 1000 and then just turn on HDR from windows when required? Ideally I want to be doing less fiddling each time I want to use HDR! I will take a look at the image settings people recommend and see how I fair.

Doesnt it get turned on automatically if the game supports it ? I may be wrong.

Soldato
Doesnt it get turned on automatically if the game supports it ? I may be wrong.
I am vague about this.

I had always assumed that if you turn HDR on in Windows then just media uses HDR, but I have noticed there is an immediate change just for the desktop, so I kind of think that the way is that you leave HDR off until you actually need it, becuase of course you may not want your Browser in HDR! But then only a few games have an in-game option to display in HDR. So, I am baffled.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
I am vague about this.

I had always assumed that if you turn HDR on in Windows then just media uses HDR, but I have noticed there is an immediate change just for the desktop, so I kind of think that the way is that you leave HDR off until you actually need it, becuase of course you may not want your Browser in HDR! But then only a few games have an in-game option to display in HDR. So, I am baffled.

Thats just so weird. You would think it would work like a normal TV and streaming service. If you load a game, it checks the monitor is HDR capable then enables it. Having to turn it on and off is a faff sounding.

Soldato
Thats just so weird. You would think it would work like a normal TV and streaming service. If you load a game, it checks the monitor is HDR capable then enables it. Having to turn it on and off is a faff sounding.

I suspect you are just supposed to leave it on all the time, BUT with an OLED it's really not something you want to do when you are just in Windows editing a document.
I do have an HDR monitor and I leave HDR off and then just configure it in-game, but of course not all games have that option. I am not worried, with my current monitor it's hard to tell what's HDR and what's not. But for the new monitor it would be nice to know how all this works.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Don't have it on all the time on Windows. This is what we've been talking about above.

Essentially set the monitor to HDR 1000 or 400, whatever your preference is and leave it be. Then turn on/off HDR in Windows if your game does not support the HDR trigger signal to automatically turn it on/off within Windows.

It does work exactly like a TV but only if the HDR compatible game or application playing the HDR encoded video sees the HDR request from the content which then triggers the HDR mode within Windows which then shows Smart HDR On in the OSD of the monitor.

The state of Windows based HDR is that not all game or app developers do this properly, hence why talk earlier of some games automatically turning HDR on in Windows which then outputs the HDR signal to the monitor which displays it in HDR TB 400 or Peak 1000 depending on what is enabled in the OSD.

You won't know what games support the auto trigger feature without trying it. Just turn on HDR in the game settings and the monitor //should// flick to HDR, if it does not, you will need to manually turn HDR mode in Windows before launching the game.

A prime example of games that do auto trigger are Doom Eternal, the Resident Evil Remakes.

Games that do not auto trigger and need it enabled manually first in Windows: Plague Tale 2, Uncharted, Days Gone, God of War..

The alternative is to use the tool posted earlier in the thread above that auto triggers HDR if you add games/EXEs etc into the list.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been playing with the Windows HDR calibration tool and would recommend using it.
Especially for Auto HDR, HDR games without calibration screen or Youtube HDR video's. It also makes a big difference to the windows desktop and greatly reduces the "washed out" look, still not perfect but much better now.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Remember only Edge supports HDR on Windows, so youtube HDR etc will only work via that browser.

The HDR calibration tool also creates an icc display colour profile that is applied in Windows, that's where the SDR areas of the OS/apps are equalised, this may well interfere with SDR colour accuracy as well since the idea of the tool is people leaving HDR mode enabled at all times which won't be what everyone wants or even needs when auto trigger exists. "Auto HDR" in Windows is designed to convert SDR games to HDR - Some people like this, I'm on the boat that does not as it's not true HDR and I'd rather have the real deal.

Chrome doesn't work correctly streaming HDR and is broken. ONly Edge supports full HDR streaming for youtube/netflix etc on Windows. Firefox only supports HDR on Mac OS currently.

Last edited:
Associate
Remember only Edge supports HDR on Windows, so youtube HDR etc will only work via that browser.

The HDR calibration tool also creates an icc display colour profile that is applied in Windows, that's where the SDR areas of the OS/apps are equalised, this may well interfere with SDR colour accuracy as well since the idea of the tool is people leaving HDR mode enabled at all times which won't be what everyone wants or even needs when auto trigger exists. "Auto HDR" in Windows is designed to convert SDR games to HDR - Some people like this, I'm on the boat that does not as it's not true HDR and I'd rather have the real deal.

Chrome doesn't work correctly streaming HDR and is broken. ONly Edge supports full HDR streaming for youtube/netflix etc on Windows. Firefox only supports HDR on Mac OS currently.
Yup it doesn't interfere with sdr mode, i checked and the icc profiile turns off.
There are games with "real" HDR that don't have in game calibration, so it fixes them. It has definitely made a difference as now games without an in game hdr calibration setting and youtube hdr content looks a lot better. I still turn off HDR for sdr use, but now when i turn on HDR i have the added benefits for the times i watch hdr youtube content or play a HDR game without calibration menu.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ah that is cool then, so from the sounds of it, when you have HDR in Windows turned off, no icc profile is active in the colour profiles screen in Windows? And then when you turn HDR on, the calibrated profile for HDR appears in the same screen when you go back into it?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

I actually quite like the Auto HDR is games I have tried so far so left it on.

My problem right now is I turn everything off from the plug in the office once done to save the 15w draw that comes from it on standby. This resets the monitor to HDR 400 every time so I need to manually set it to 1000 every time I decide to game.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What revision and firmware is your monitor? I thought they sorted the HDR setting memory in the later revisions! Although I recall it just being that it displayed that it was back on 400 whilst still actually being on 1000, the OSD basically forgot what it was on so showed that it dropped back to 400.

Yup it doesn't interfere with sdr mode, i checked and the icc profiile turns off.
There are games with "real" HDR that don't have in game calibration, so it fixes them. It has definitely made a difference as now games without an in game hdr calibration setting and youtube hdr content looks a lot better. I still turn off HDR for sdr use, but now when i turn on HDR i have the added benefits for the times i watch hdr youtube content or play a HDR game without calibration menu.
I actually just tried this out and can confirm it creates a HDR profile:

fjc6Yut.png

And when you turn off HDR, the active profile is gone:

cb98iTb.png

Even though it is visible in the old skool colour profiles screen but does not seem to affect anything outside of HDR mode.

DodZbdU.png

After doing the calibration I was able to drop the SDR Content slider to 10 from the previous 20. But as you say, the look/feel still isn't 100%, there's like a feeling of washiness over everything SDR still regardless of what you choose so yeah, turning off HDR mode for purely SDR use is still necessary to keep SRGB accurate and looking normal/natural.

I did not increase the colour saturation during the calibration tool btw, left it on the default 0 as don't want any added vibrancy above natural levels.

Last edited:
Associate
Having an issue with HDR with this monitor.

I enable it before starting a game using Win + Alt + B but when I am in game then I start to experience the screen going black and when it turns back on it's displaying the input pop up. This could happen 3 or 4 times in a row, primarily in cut scenes. It has happened now with Plague Tale 2, Modern Warfare 2, Chivalry 2, Rome Expeditions.

Has anyone experienced this before? I am suspecting the DP cable doesn't have the bandwidth for 3440 x 1440 @144Hz? Currently using one that supports Dp 1.2 - 21.6 gbits per second but have ordered one that supports Dp 1.4 - 32.4 gbits per second. Hoping this resolves it cause at the minute I cant really enjoy HDR on this monitor.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Have you tried using the cable that came with the AW? I am on the same settings/res and no probs with that.
One of those Hank Scorpio why didn't I think of that moments! Forgot completely about that cable but switched to it and played about a hour of Plague Tale in HDR with no issues, thanks for the tip!

Soldato
Essentially set the monitor to HDR 1000 or 400, whatever your preference is and leave it be. Then turn on/off HDR in Windows if your game does not support the HDR trigger signal to automatically turn it on/off within Windows.

It does work exactly like a TV but only if the HDR compatible game or application playing the HDR encoded video sees the HDR request from the content which then triggers the HDR mode within Windows which then shows Smart HDR On in the OSD of the monitor.

The state of Windows based HDR is that not all game or app developers do this properly, hence why talk earlier of some games automatically turning HDR on in Windows which then outputs the HDR signal to the monitor which displays it in HDR TB 400 or Peak 1000 depending on what is enabled in the OSD.

You won't know what games support the auto trigger feature without trying it. Just turn on HDR in the game settings and the monitor //should// flick to HDR, if it does not, you will need to manually turn HDR mode in Windows before launching the game.

A prime example of games that do auto trigger are Doom Eternal, the Resident Evil Remakes.

Games that do not auto trigger and need it enabled manually first in Windows: Plague Tale 2, Uncharted, Days Gone, God of War..

The alternative is to use the tool posted earlier in the thread above that auto triggers HDR if you add games/EXEs etc into the list.

I see. Alas the monitor I have, or the game, it's not very easy to tell, so the information very useful.

Back
Top Bottom