World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What revision and firmware is your monitor? I thought they sorted the HDR setting memory in the later revisions! Although I recall it just being that it displayed that it was back on 400 whilst still actually being on 1000, the OSD basically forgot what it was on so showed that it dropped back to 400.

I got the OG model. Not replaced mine yet. Will wait another 2 years for that :cry:

Associate
I've noticed that when you put your PC to sleep and the monitor kicks in with the pixel refresh, you can touch the nipple so the monitor wakes up, then push the power button. This will resume the refresh but instead of going to sleep/standby when done (flashing white) it will go into the proper low power off state (no LED)

Last edited:
Associate
I've noticed that when you put your PC to sleep and the monitor kicks in with the pixel refresh, you can touch the nipple so the monitor wakes up, then push the power button. This will resume the refresh but instead of going to sleep/standby when done (flashing white) it will go into the proper low power off state (no LED)
When you touch the nipple would you suggest gently caressing it or tweaking it with thumb and forefinger?

Associate
Finally got my monitor delivered yesterday and wow what a pleasure OLED is.

Did some tweaking last night and have settled on the following

• HDR1000
  • Brightness 75
  • Contrast 100
  • Standard colour profile
  • SDR slider in windows at 30
I don't hear any fan noise at all, and my Pc is nowhere near me so would be apparent if it was loud. The colours on this thing are just beautiful and everything is so sharp. played MW2 at the weekend on my old monitor and then finished it off on the OLED and it was like a different game.

Not sure why MrK thinks you shouldn't use HDR in windows. I have it turned on all the time on both this and previous HDR Monitors (last one was a Neo G9) and it looks great to me.

Soldato
OP
Finally got my monitor delivered yesterday and wow what a pleasure OLED is.

Did some tweaking last night and have settled on the following

• HDR1000
  • Brightness 75
  • Contrast 100
  • Standard colour profile
  • SDR slider in windows at 30
I don't hear any fan noise at all, and my Pc is nowhere near me so would be apparent if it was loud. The colours on this thing are just beautiful and everything is so sharp. played MW2 at the weekend on my old monitor and then finished it off on the OLED and it was like a different game.

Not sure why MrK thinks you shouldn't use HDR in windows. I have it turned on all the time on both this and previous HDR Monitors (last one was a Neo G9) and it looks great to me.

It's too bright in windows imo plus if you have any static pixels then those will be more likely to burn in over time, this monitor doesn't have a pixel dimming safety feature

Soldato
It's too bright in windows imo plus if you have any static pixels then those will be more likely to burn in over time, this monitor doesn't have a pixel dimming safety feature
I echo this... my eyes practically melt if I turn HDR on for general use, it's quite straining.. also probably not good for the life of the monitor :p

Associate
I started off with MRK's settings but with brightness around 75, then over time I've dropped brightness to 53 and adjusted my IPS secondary screens to match. Takes a while to adjust your eyes, but once you do they thank you

Soldato

Is it sad that I not only know the game they are playing but also know the individual weapons they are using? :/

By the way, I discovered today (following on from a previous conversation) that HDR needs to be enabled in Windows AND Destiny 2 for it to work in the game.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Has anyone returned their AW3423DW back to Dell (for no fault reasons)?

after trying it for a week,I'm thinking about returning it before 2 weeks return windows closes mainly for these 2 reasons:

1-it's just too large,the foot stand is huge and I'll need to buy a new desk (at least 80CM Depth) to be able to use it more comfortably and it's just not worth the hassle and extra cost.I don't want to buy/use a vesa mount.

2-I just don't like ultra wide form factor and the curve.:(
I thought I'll get used to it but no.it never feels natural.I hate having black borders around non-UW movies/games.and curve makes reading things un-natural.

otherwise it was a great monitor,I won't go as far as to say it was mind blowing and the best picture quality in the world though.
side by side next to a 7 years old Apple iMac display 4k,it's better but just slightly.also I have LG CX OLED TV and maybe that's another reason why I wasn't as impressed as first time OLED users.

now if only there was a nice flat 27-28" OLED..I'd have happily payed even £200 extra for it..
time to make final decision and search for the best 27" 1440p flat monitor I guess.

Last edited:
Permabanned
My biggest gripe with ultra wide size like this is the amount of desk space in contrast the amount of screen space you get.
not just the screen size..but the feet of this monitor are GIGANTIC.literally taking half the desk.they could have simply used a much smaller,lower profile foot design similar to Samsung's model.
but size aside,I can now officially state that I HATE ULTRA WIDE and CURVED screens.
I'll take flat 16:9 over uw any day.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Dell customer service was excellent.no questions asked.free collection arranged.
One thing I really liked about this monitor is how super easy it was to disassemble and pack it back in the box. :)
I'm going for the MSI MAG274QRF-QD instead.
Until a 27-29" flat, 16:9 OLED comes to the market.;)

Soldato
Until a 27-29" flat, 16:9 OLED comes to the market.;)

LG will supposedely be bringing 27" and 32" oled monitors to the market in 2023. 27" panels may already be in productiong :)

Back
Top Bottom