World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
The F variant seems to be available for preorder now, £880 with availability from the 22nd November apparently - I kind of want to see if there'll be any price reduction on the normal model since it's so close to black friday though.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
LG will supposedely be bringing 27" and 32" oled monitors to the market in 2023. 27" panels may already be in productiong :)

Interesting. Though sounds like those won’t come with burn in protection as standard. I will likely wait until 2024 and look to go to a QD-OLED monitor that is 4K and is between 27” and 32”.

Uncharted HDR is very nice, very very nice.

Nice graphics yes, but is gameplay any good? I played the latest Uncharted when I had a PS4 Pro a few years back. Lovely graphics with HDR, but on the rails boring gameplay…

Soldato
I think I finally answered the question about leaving HDR on with OLED monitors!!

( I have been playing with this for the past two or three days )

YES! You can leave HDR permanently enabled without damaging a qd-oled

When HDR is enabled in Windows 11, the desktop gets brighter but this is not HDR. Windows 11 has a calibration where you can turn the brightness down for SDR content, ie the desktop and apps. So you turn the brightness down to match your normal working brightness levels. This setting is ignored when you run HDR content. This should save your monitor from burning up.

Sorry if this is not news to 95% of people out there!

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Even with calibration the desktop and other apps including web browsing will not be displaying correct colour/contrast values. It will still be wsshed out, just less so than without using the calibration tool. this is the byproduct of trying to display SDR content (pretty much everything that isn't a HDR movie or game media) in a HDR environment. I have played with this already and no amount of using calibration or adjusting the SDR brightness slider etc can ever match the quality and accuracy of pure SDR mode.

That's why it is always best to leave HDR off when not actually playing HDR games or watching a HDR video. There is no point in sacrificing SDR accuracy and reducing overall picture quality by leaving HDR mode on all the time. It is either a quick keyboard shortcut away any time to toggle, or set and forget by using the tool posted earlier on github.

Interesting. Though sounds like those won’t come with burn in protection as standard. I will likely wait until 2024 and look to go to a QD-OLED monitor that is 4K and is between 27” and 32”.

Nice graphics yes, but is gameplay any good? I played the latest Uncharted when I had a PS4 Pro a few years back. Lovely graphics with HDR, but on the rails boring gameplay…
I kinda like it, it's fun and I enjoyed the Uncharted games (1 and 2) on PS3 back in the day. Just now we have PC quality graphics and ultrawide with OLED so even better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even with calibration the desktop and other apps including web browsing will not be displaying correct colour/contrast values. It will still be wsshed out, just less so than without using the calibration tool. this is the byproduct of trying to display SDR content (pretty much everything that isn't a HDR movie or game media) in a HDR environment. I have played with this already and no amount of using calibration or adjusting the SDR brightness slider etc can ever match the quality and accuracy of pure SDR mode.

That's why it is always best to leave HDR off when not actually playing HDR games or watching a HDR video. There is no point in sacrificing SDR accuracy and reducing overall picture quality by leaving HDR mode on all the time. It is either a quick keyboard shortcut away any time to toggle, or set and forget by using the tool posted earlier on github.

You are probably right, but I have to say that I can't see any difference. Certainly nothing to be worried about for a desktop.

Soldato
Fair, if you can't see much difference then use how is best suited to your needs :cool:

I have been switching it on and off, on and off, and I think you are right, there is a small loss of contrast with it on. Honestly I wouldn't have noticed unless you told me, BUT(!!!!!) now you DID tell me, I will use the application. I'm not sure whether to say "thanks" or "OMG you triggered my OCD"!!! :cry::cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry about me holding my own private "revelation" thread in this one, but I have been messing with HDR and am truly amazed at how good it is. I have had an HDR TV for years and it was utter rubbish, and people told me LCD HDR is bad, so I never bothered to try it on my monitor. But now I have I am blown away! It's awesome! And it must be so much better on the AW3432DW!!!

Oh, I saw the bit about the price. Just over £800 for the Freesync. It's being launched three days before the AW3423DW goes on sale. My hope is they may drop the price of the AW3423DW even lower than the usual sales because I really can see everyone opting for the F version and Dell know this. We will see.

I am honestly not sure of the difference between G-Sync Ultimate and Freesync. I have been spoilt - on G-Sync Ultimate for two years now and can't for the life of me remember what Freesync was like.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The biggest difference of Gsync Ultimate vs FreeSync Premium Pro is that Ultimate supports from 1Hz to the full refresh rate of the display. Only Ultimate supports this for VRR.

Soldato
I am honestly not sure of the difference between G-Sync Ultimate and Freesync. I have been spoilt - on G-Sync Ultimate for two years now and can't for the life of me remember what Freesync was like.
It's like G-Sync Ultimate except it has no hissing/whining fan but doesn't hit the same hi/low refresh rates.
I prefer G-Sync Ultimate because I can't really hear the fan unless I try to. However, saving a couple of hundred pounds to have Freesync instead makes a lot of sense.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
To be fair the lower refresh range for VRR is only important for those who don't have a GPU that can carry frames consisitently above the lowest refresh range off FreeSync, whihc I think is 40Hz? So if your GPU isn't powerful enough and you often see frames drop below this, then Gsync makes more sense. Otherwise both will do the same thing basically. Nvidia's system might work better across the board when other tech is included like Reflex though.

Back
Top Bottom