World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Mobster
Soldato
I thought that is in the NVIDIA Control Panel settings for the monitor. Adjust Dsektop Size and Position and tick Full-Screen.

When you introduce a new monitor it assumes the default - which is black bars.
I packaged the AW3423DW back up as I'm sending it back. So I plugged up my old AW3418DW thinking it would be ok, but lo and behold that has kept the bars at the side now. I've even upgraded to win 11 and latest nvidia drivers to see if that would help. Wish I never plugged up that pos oled anywhere near my computer.

Associate
I packaged the AW3423DW back up as I'm sending it back. So I plugged up my old AW3418DW thinking it would be ok, but lo and behold that has kept the bars at the side now. I've even upgraded to win 11 and latest nvidia drivers to see if that would help. Wish I never plugged up that pos oled anywhere near my computer.

Not sure how it's the monitors fault that the game you are running doesn't run native 21:9

Mobster
Soldato
Not sure how it's the monitors fault that the game you are running doesn't run native 21:9
See thats the problem when you havent read what i've written. The game is 100% native 21:9. On my AW3418DW it was running perfectly until I installed the AW3423DW. So yes, yes it is the monitors fault.

Mobster
Soldato
Bizarre reason to go back to significantly worse image quality just to play a bad mobile phone game in 21:9
What you said Is spot on, I cant argue with that. But its what I play at the moment and spend a lot of time on it. Issues like the one I've faced have put me off, I'm not sure how to say it but in my mind I'm wondering if there's anything else thats been threw off kilt. I'm maybe overthinking but thats just me. I'm downloading Rufus and the W11 ISO as we speak, so I'll give it one last try of a fresh windows install with only the new monitor plugged up, and if that doesnt fix it, I dont know.

Associate
See thats the problem when you havent read what i've written. The game is 100% native 21:9. On my AW3418DW it was running perfectly until I installed the AW3423DW. So yes, yes it is the monitors fault.
Apologies if i've miss-understood.

What game? Diablo Immortal?

Soldato
Just seen this monitor will be £943 from tomorrow and possibility of being able to use discount codes too. Though it seems to be through the EPP, I know some workplaces enable you to use this.

Last edited:
Soldato

*is not surprised*

The NVIDIA Control Panel defaults to black bars, so once you plug in a new monitor it will defualt to black bars and stay that way even if you plug in the old monitor. It's a really simple change in the Control Panel, though.

Associate
Just seen this monitor will be £943 from tomorrow and possibility of being able to use discount codes too. Though it seems to be through the EPP, I know some workplaces enable you to use this.
Have been eyeing up this monitor lately, I get 20% off for Dell monitors through work so could make it extremely tempting to get if my work discount will be applicable on this particular monitor.

Soldato
Have been eyeing up this monitor lately, I get 20% off for Dell monitors through work so could make it extremely tempting to get if my work discount will be applicable on this particular monitor.

You may find the 20% is only on certain models, I have similar. Seems Alienware is always its own thing. Funny how this happens a week before new model pricing will be available too!

Last edited:
Associate
mine said that when I looked a couple of months ago, but when Igot the code email it specifically said it excludes the AW3423DW.
20% discount on Alienware, P, U and E series monitors (excluding AW3423DW). Coupon Code

Mobster
Soldato
*is not surprised*

The NVIDIA Control Panel defaults to black bars, so once you plug in a new monitor it will defualt to black bars and stay that way even if you plug in the old monitor. It's a really simple change in the Control Panel, though.
I cant see the setting. I can see the setting for windows, i.e. set to full screen etc. but nothing for games. Could you point me in the right direction ?

Mobster
Soldato
seems it's normal if you google it

IT doesnt explain why on my AW3418DW I have been running it since June in full 21:9. There has never been an issue. All I did was unplug and connect up the AW3423DW. Black bars appeared and no matter what I do they wont go.

I've sorted out returning this OLED, wish I never laid eyes on it, so I'll bow out this thread now.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The AW3423DW has a GSync Ultimate module, so it can't have a built in scaler which the AW3418DW has since it's only GSync (not Ultimate). This is to reduce as much latency as possible by not having a scaler to pass a picture through. The scaler would explain why you were playing as you describe previously.

You will have the same issue if you were to buy any other GSync Ultimate monitor. I don't know if FreeSYnc Premium Pro monitors also have a scaler, but since they aim for the same spec/performance targets, I suspect they will follow a similar criteria.

Last edited:
Soldato
I cant see the setting. I can see the setting for windows, i.e. set to full screen etc. but nothing for games. Could you point me in the right direction ?
It can be a bit involved and there is a problem - You can not remove the black bars if you have selected image scaling (NIS) in the gaming mode.
So first, check
NVIDIA Control Panel
Manage 3D Settings
Image Scaling > OFF
Then go to
NVIDIA Control Panel
Adjust Desktop Size and Position
Scaling (tab)
Full-Screen > On

Personally, I find the best thing to do is to keep NIS on. NIS is a far more valuable thing than removing black bars. NIS adds additional resolutions in to a games resolution selection and allows you to upscale even if the game doesn't support upscaling.

Please let me know how you get on. I would be really interested to hear if you have a problem with these settings.

Last edited:
Soldato
The AW3423DW has a GSync Ultimate module, so it can't have a built in scaler which the AW3418DW has since it's only GSync (not Ultimate). This is to reduce as much latency as possible by not having a scaler to pass a picture through. The scaler would explain why you were playing as you describe previously.

You will have the same issue if you were to buy any other GSync Ultimate monitor. I don't know if FreeSYnc Premium Pro monitors also have a scaler, but since they aim for the same spec/performance targets, I suspect they will follow a similar criteria.

I have a G-Sync Ultimate and I don't have that problem. You can not, however, operate the scaler AND remove the black bands at the same time. It's an either or situation. I mean I don't know what I am talking about but it seems to me that if you have already used the scalar to enlarge the image from a preset scaler resolution option then you can hardly do it again to get rid of the black bands?? I don't know. I mean it doesn't make a lot of sense to me because surely if you have black bands then you haven't selected a NIS resolution, so the driver should be able to work things out, but apparently not. Either that, or I am just flat out wrong with my logic!! But certainly, I can not run both NIS and get rid of the black lines, the Control Panel will just not allow both to be configured at the same time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom