World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I have a G-Sync Ultimate and I don't have that problem. You can not, however, operate the scaler AND remove the black bands at the same time. It's an either or situation. I mean I don't know what I am talking about but it seems to me that if you have already used the scalar to enlarge the image from a preset scaler resolution option then you can hardly do it again to get rid of the black bands?? I don't know. I mean it doesn't make a lot of sense to me because surely if you have black bands then you haven't selected a NIS resolution, so the driver should be able to work things out, but apparently not. Either that, or I am just flat out wrong with my logic!! But certainly, I can not run both NIS and get rid of the black lines, the Control Panel will just not allow both to be configured at the same time.
Hmm but the AW3423DW does not have a scaler so how are you operating it? Unless you mean the GPU scaler which could work as a workaround but does need to be enabled in nvidia control panel? I actually tried it on a bunch of games but it would not work on a 3080 Ti -Applying an in-game resolution of 2560x1440 resulted in the image being stretched the full 21:9, even though I had aspect ratio scaling set via GPU in the nvidia control panel. This was seen in all games. Not that I'd want to run at this res for anything anyway, I just was curious as to if GPU scaling worked in this scenario.

Just an FYI - I ordered my 3423DW today in the Dell Black Friday sale. in the BF Sale it is £943.

I had a 15% Employee Discount Code from my Company. It did NOT stack with the BF Sale price sadly.

Hmm but the AW3423DW does not have a scaler so how are you operating it? Unless you mean the GPU scaler which could work as a workaround but does need to be enabled in nvidia control panel? I actually tried it on a bunch of games but it would not work on a 3080 Ti -Applying an in-game resolution of 2560x1440 resulted in the image being stretched the full 21:9, even though I had aspect ratio scaling set via GPU in the nvidia control panel. This was seen in all games. Not that I'd want to run at this res for anything anyway, I just was curious as to if GPU scaling worked in this scenario.

I don't know then. If I set the NIS off and the scaling off then I get the black bars. If I turn NIS on I still get black bars. If I leave NIS off and switch desktop scaling on, then I get a stretched image. None of this is to do with the monitor, it's all done in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Just an FYI - I ordered my 3423DW today in the Dell Black Friday sale. in the BF Sale it is £943.

I had a 15% Employee Discount Code from my Company. It did NOT stack with the BF Sale price sadly.

Nice little discount. Thanks for posting that, now I can work out whether I really want to get one or not!!

Good lad I posted a page or so ago about discount codes for this seen your post and did the same and ordered one, impressed with delivery date Nov 3rd

I can't decide whether to go for the AW3423DW or wait for the release of the AW3423DWF model as it seems to have a few different features like PIP, PBP, 2x DisplayPort ports and a few other things. Down to 165Hz compared to 175Hz but possibly 10Bit at 165Hz.

Pretty sure it's just a sale, Black Friday is at the end of November. It'll likely be discounted further on Black Friday as the Freesync version will be out by then as well

It can be a bit involved and there is a problem - You can not remove the black bars if you have selected image scaling (NIS) in the gaming mode.
So first, check
NVIDIA Control Panel
Manage 3D Settings
Image Scaling > OFF
Then go to
NVIDIA Control Panel
Adjust Desktop Size and Position
Scaling (tab)
Full-Screen > On

Personally, I find the best thing to do is to keep NIS on. NIS is a far more valuable thing than removing black bars. NIS adds additional resolutions in to a games resolution selection and allows you to upscale even if the game doesn't support upscaling.

Please let me know how you get on. I would be really interested to hear if you have a problem with these settings.
These are the settings I had, it didnt make any difference.

Pretty sure it's just a sale, Black Friday is at the end of November. It'll likely be discounted further on Black Friday as the Freesync version will be out by then as well

Dell told me that it's the 25th November. I do know that they send out "advance" invitations to some people though, no idea how soon that is.

I can't see the sale price yet.

Last edited:
Dell told me that it's the 25th November. I do know that they send out "advance" invitations to some people though, no idea how soon that is.

I can't see the sale price yet.
This link?

Which you have to find not the normal link!

Last edited:
I can't decide whether to go for the AW3423DW or wait for the release of the AW3423DWF model as it seems to have a few different features like PIP, PBP, 2x DisplayPort ports and a few other things. Down to 165Hz compared to 175Hz but possibly 10Bit at 165Hz.
I'm also waiting, imo the "cut down" version looks like the version to have. I currently have a 4k/144hz monitor with HDR600, and the HDR has impressed me so much that I'm happy (hopefully) to go down to 3440x1440 for OLED and true HDR!

OK, the million dollar question. Is G-Sync worth £100?

If you were buying a monitor today, who would buy Freesync and who would buy G-Sync?
I think the answer to that is
"can your GPU drive 3440x1440 at min 48fps with quality you feel fine with?"
and then
"if not, would you prefer to put that £100 to a new GPU, or mitigate it by buying the G-Sync ultimate monitor?"

Other than that, it probably won't make much difference in real terms

Last edited:
On oled, the gsync module has less of an advantage since it has instant pixel response already. Gsync module main advantage is on LCD based displays.

Range is obviously better but I wouldn't want to be dropping below 60 fps regardless anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom